Official Club Stuff Gameday Village ...annexed by the SMA

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, I'm finding that the mixed supporter thing is an excellent part of the GDV.
Chatting to opposition supporters before and after every game is one of the things I miss about living in Melbourne.

This village concept helps provide a space that is relatively neutral to mix and mingle.

Yeah, I'm finding that the mixed supporter thing is an excellent part of the GDV.
Chatting to opposition supporters before and after every game is one of the things I miss about living in Melbourne.

This village concept helps provide a space that is relatively neutral to mix and mingle.
It is a real shame we are limited for space. It was so disappointing, but understandable, to see Port supporters having a beverage at the comparatively squeeze-free "fan's bar".
The game day village is so legitimately grass roots.

I very much enjoyed paying $10 for 2 Pale Ales and getting $40 change! I did the right thing and ensured them I was not entitled to change. Had the same thing happened inside the ground.....Well I might have kept quiet and pocketed that cash given the SMA prices!

I went to the Port village before the Hawks game..It was awesome, all the supporters were getting into it. Well done to the club and the supporters.

This is the best thing about the GDV, opposition supporters coming in having a drink and having a good time. I was there at about 8.45 Sunday night and talking to Benny D and Richo from the club, about 50 people were left, they decided last drinks were going to be called at 9pm, but there were about 10-15 Richmond people in there enjoying themselves and a few were on the dance floor, and the music was up loud. Now maybe we have lost too many games this year and its easier for the oppostion supporters to stick around after a win, but I have spoken to opposition supporters from all clubs this year, and they all reckon its a great set up, but the one point that comes thru from everyone, is the fact its right next to the ground, is makes it so good.

Was a log jam prior to the game

They have to think about expanding the footprint

Also needs cheaper food options - $10 for a Hot Dog / Toasted Sandwich no matter how gourmet is a bit rich
Went there for a quick pint before the game and back again at halftime, hoping to grab a pie. Four n Twenty was closed up which is fair enough, so we went for a $10 sandwich. The highlight of it was the coleslaw.

It was at that point the evening turned.

Went to the village before the Port vs Eagles game and loved it - great initiative.

Anyone know if it'll be open for the Crows vs Dockers game? I'm going with a couple of Freo-supporting mates.

I get that it's a Port thing but I read that it would be open "for all of the Power’s 11 home games at the Oval and some of the Crows’ blockbuster home games."

Went to the village before the Port vs Eagles game and loved it - great initiative.

Anyone know if it'll be open for the Crows vs Dockers game? I'm going with a couple of Freo-supporting mates.

I get that it's a Port thing but I read that it would be open "for all of the Power’s 11 home games at the Oval and some of the Crows’ blockbuster home games."
Freo dont have the supporter base to justify opening it up. They will do it for 2 or 3 big Vic clubs.

Went there for a quick pint before the game and back again at halftime, hoping to grab a pie. Four n Twenty was closed up which is fair enough, so we went for a $10 sandwich. The highlight of it was the coleslaw.

It was at that point the evening turned.

Fortunately they seem to cycle the food trucks through the venue, the two last week were definitely a couple of the weaker ones around the place. I love a good toastie but a 10-15 minute wait for a $10 toastie is a little wrong, no matter how good they sound.

I just cant understand why the humble BBQ is not in the GDV!!!

A sausage sizzle with a steak and onion sandwich are the simplest of all foods and are fast - to me, it is also as grass roots footy as it gets!!!

Light it up just under the SNAFL bar and the smell will draw every last one into the village!!!

Cmon Banner - make it happen mate!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A sausage sizzle with a steak and onion sandwich are the simplest of all foods and are fast - to me, it is also as grass roots footy as it gets!!!

Light it up just under the SNAFL bar and the smell will draw every last one into the village!!!

I think its a matter of out sourcing the food, because its a smaller margin and more hassle to organise, and all hands on deck to serve booze which has a higher margin and a matter of just grabbing a can, pulling a handle or pouring out of a bottle into a glass.

I think its a matter of out sourcing the food, because its a smaller margin and more hassle to organise, and all hands on deck to serve booze which has a higher margin and a matter of just grabbing a can, pulling a handle or pouring out of a bottle into a glass.

I get all of that - I just love a good BBQ!!! LOL!!!

They did it last year but you just about had to book a day in advance just to get onto the anaconda queue. It was hugely popular but probably needed about 4 x 8 burners going at once in different locations.

Anyone know if the GDV will be back to full size this week?
Yeah that fight to get in/out had better not happen too many times. There's a lot of goodwill towards the GDV but there were a lot of grumbles about congestion last week.

They did it last year but you just about had to book a day in advance just to get onto the anaconda queue. It was hugely popular but probably needed about 4 x 8 burners going at once in different locations.

Yeah I miss the sausage sizzle - better value than the relatively expensive $10-for-anything from the food trucks, tastier and probably marginally healthier than multiple bloody pies lol. Half pissed or not I still ate three of those toasted food truck offerings with coleslaw last Saturday night and that starts to eat into (sorry!) my drinking budget :$ Maybe club sponsor Four 'n' Twenty is OK with a 'premium' food option next to their pie cart but wouldn't appreciate a low cost food alternative such as a sausage sizzle.

Yeah that fight to get in/out had better not happen too many times. There's a lot of goodwill towards the GDV but there were a lot of grumbles about congestion last week.

The main choke point IMO was mostly caused by one badly positioned table and one equally badly positioned barrel, right on the last corner before the open area past the marquee. Good to hear the configuration will be back to normal this week :thumbsu: IMO the DJ up on the stairs that sounded really boomy and a bit annoying before the game worked very well for the atmosphere *after* the game. Had some good fun dancing with a bunch of Bulldogs, erm, females. More so than other nights that I can remember at GDV (yeah, yeah, I know) there were some pretty bizarre dancing styles on display close to closing time :drunk::drunk:

I prefer to call it 'Athletes Village'
Was great atmosphere, met a few port supporters.....would be interesting to meet some big names from big footy .....crazy big al!!

So wheres the bbq in the GDV? I havent spotted or smelt it in my few visits pre and post match.

I havent looked real hard though!

Have they still got the bbq cranking with the burgers etc like last years smaller version???

I prefer to call it 'Athletes Village'
Was great atmosphere, met a few port supporters.....would be interesting to meet some big names from big footy .....crazy big al!!
If athletes actually turned up like at the Port Club post games pre AO, then you might have a valid argument.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back