Remove this Banner Ad

Dazb86

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 31, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Which is more important?

I think the Bulldogs season has almost entirely been determined by a change of tactics this year. Had we stayed on the same path I think we'd be a bottom 4 side.

I also think sides like Carlton, Essendon and Melbourne are using outdated tactics and could jump spots on the ladder with a change of game plan.

Does a gameplan affect wins and losses more than talent or vice versa?

List is more important. Sure, game plan is important - but if you have a dud gameplan, you can change it. If you have a great gameplan, the opposition may work it out.

Anyone can choose to play the Bulldogs gameplan if they want. No other club can choose to have a list like Hawthorn's - that takes a long time (and a lot of luck).

If you have a dud list - you have a dud list for the whole season.

List is more important. Sure, game plan is important - but if you have a dud gameplan, you can change it. If you have a great gameplan, the opposition may work it out.

Anyone can choose to play the Bulldogs gameplan if they want. No other club can choose to have a list like Hawthorn's - that takes a long time (and a lot of luck).

If you have a dud list - you have a dud list for the whole season.

Agree with all you have said but don't underestimate the Hawthorn system/gameplan. Just look at last season, Hawthorn lost major chunks of their talented personnel but kept winning anyway. Or back to 2008 - 2010 period where a great gameplan allowed a previously poor team to win the flag before the system was broken down and we missed finals. After round 7, 2010 Hawthorn had won 1 game and was equal bottom. Clarkson changed the game plan (this is where we went from using the bench the least in the league to the most) and we recovered to finish 6th, followed by a Prelim, Grand Final and then two flags.

Further evidence of a good system has been bringing in players considered average/declining (Hale, Gibson, Puopolo, etc) and using them for designated roles that have seen them become premiership players.

Perhaps the most telltale, however, has been the success of the system (and variants of it) with different personnel. West Coast and the Bulldogs are two examples. Hawthorn's affiliates moreso - Box Hill are minor premiers this season, Grand Finallist's last year (may have won if not for Clarkson interfering for the sake of AFL GF) and Premiers the year before. Even the Development team (Box Hill reserves) have been undefeated all season!

It's possible that personnel is superior all the way down three tiers but I think that's unlikely, particularly as Hawthorn have had very limited access to and use of the draft in recent years, unlike other VFL affiliates. It seems to make more sense to me to attribute to a strong system, game plan and culture (acknowledging that you still require the players to cary it out).

Back