Review Games On Review Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Plus the umpires were clearly favouring Geelong with the free kicks. That fee kick against Cam Sutcliffe on Joel Turtlewood really makes my TV suddenly smash to pieces.

Yeah the frees were bad but they didn't cost us the game. Our woeful goal kicking did.

That and our annoying tactic of hoofing the ball downfield to Harry Taylor. Now that made me mad.

Our qualifying final vs. Sydney is on Fox right now. Viewed this at ground level originally and wished in hindsight that I'd stayed home and stuck pins in my eyes instead. But thought it'd be interesting to watch the replay tonight in the hope it'd be better from the recliner and the result would be different. Tuned in as Zac Clarke was out marked by Daniel Henneberry 3 minutes into the 2nd Quarter that resulted in a goal to McGlynn. Then 5 minutes later, Zac's handballing to a stationery team mate with a Swan on his back......just reaching for the wife's sewing kit.

Our qualifying final vs. Sydney is on Fox right now. Viewed this at ground level originally and wished in hindsight that I'd stayed home and stuck pins in my eyes instead. But thought it'd be interesting to watch the replay tonight in the hope it'd be better from the recliner and the result would be different. Tuned in as Zac Clarke was out marked by Daniel Henneberry 3 minutes into the 2nd Quarter that resulted in a goal to McGlynn. Then 5 minutes later, Zac's handballing to a stationery team mate with a Swan on his back......just reaching for the wife's sewing kit.
Zac was on my hit list after watching that game. I know it's not right to blame one player but seriously...he was rubbish.

Oh but it's got better since my last post. Taberner just dropped THAT mark and then drops his bundle and stops chasing. Found you another player.
I forgive Tabs for that because it was his first final and he's played like 10 games. Clarke is consistently soft. That moment against Hannebery was atrocious.

Yep, that changed the momentum of the game when we were only 4 points down. The wheels soon fell off after that.

How good was scos on buddy though ... Thought he played a really smart game against the leagues best forward

Was a very strange game the QF against Sydney. We were very tentative early and rolled back too far it seemed to gain possession out of defence but then have to wait for players to stream forward. Frustrating to watch the likes of Barlow look up, see nobody and then turn laterally or backwards to give the ball off. Sydney were on to it and forced us into error making which is usually what we do. Things improved in the 3rd Quarter in that sense but then we were off up forward and didn't capitalise.

On the positive side, Ibbotson and Silvagni were both really good early until Longmire changed it up in the 2nd half by shifting Franklin and Tippet up the ground and the likes of Hanneberry up forward which completely threw us. Sum that game up as a few brilliant moments more than offset by lapses and costly turnovers.

I just re-watched the game against Melbourne in Darwin.

Crowls had tagged Bernie Vince out of the game, so Roos then had Bernie tag Nat Fyfe.

So Crowls was tagging a tagger.

Anyways, this game is worth watching to see Mora's come back and the debut of Michael Apeness.

I watched the 2nd game against the Hawks last night. Our third quarter performance was absolutely sublime. The way we kept up with during the shoot out was amazing enough, to top it off with that barrage was just top notch. Pav turned back the clock that game. Tabs showed some good things when they placed him forward - I have high hopes. Sandi threatening to smash Puopulo was a highlight.

After watching that game and the Port game that followed, I really dared hope we'd run into the finals deep and so the end-of-season collapse was just tragic. We should have at least made a prelim on that form.

I don't care what anyone says, injuries at the tail end really killed our season. We would have been almost better off losing to Port in round 23 and getting the home game dry and backing ourselves to win our elim final at home then away to win a PF. That game in the wet vs Sydney was a mass casualty disaster waiting to happen.

Has anyone else noticed that Fox Footy is not bothering to show Freo vs Geelong at Subi, Pav's 300th game, as part of their 2014 season replay?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There are 3 Ess v Syd games, I suspect that one of those will be Freo v Geel, they did a similar stuff up the other week with two Fre v WCE games scheduled but the second one was a different game.

Has anyone else noticed that Fox Footy is not bothering to show Freo vs Geelong at Subi, Pav's 300th game, as part of their 2014 season replay?

I have seen it on review a few times now. The games on review marathon on Fox Footy were being done in order from game 1 round 1 through to the Grand Final in order with no preseason games on replay this year.

But I did notice that our round 1 game against Collingwood was shown at the end of the round rather than the start of round 1 just last week.

Just revisited the 4th quarter of the Thursday night classic vs Carlton. I still don't know how we won that game - wait, I do know. It was the Fyfe and Ballas show towards the end, when we were struggling to close a 10 point deficit that was there most of the game. Stupid mistakes - Ibbo and de Boer missing shots directly in front, that stinker free against Crowley, the HTB against Spurr from a hospital handpass in defensive 50 and the 50m against Zac Dawson are the main howlers that come to mind in that quarter alone.

Of course, none of our howlers were quite as bad as Carlton's Cameron Wood kicking straight to Lachie Neale from a stoppage, which gave us the lead and the win. Thank you, Wood.

It was a fair effort without our running link up player Mzungu and Pav coming off early on, but gee, we were slow that fourth quarter. On the other hand, I wanted to smash the commentating team that game, no credit given to us at all.

Of course, none of our howlers were quite as bad as Carlton's Cameron Wood kicking straight to Lachie Neale from a stoppage, which gave us the lead and the win. Thank you, Wood.

Great experience for Neale, a pressure shot that wasn't just to win the game but to keep our Top 4 chances alive.

He's only 21 years old!

Great experience for Neale, a pressure shot that wasn't just to win the game but to keep our Top 4 chances alive.

He's only 21 years old!

Great awareness too by the young man. He just read the kick perfectly and took an easy chest mark whilst the Carlton defenders just stood there wondering what the hell Wood was doing.

It was funny reading the Blues match day thread as it went into meltdown when that happened. When a ex-Collingwood player costs you a game, it's much more painful to take.

Watching some of the replays and too often last year we faded during games when gaining an ascendancy rather than pumping the opposition and particularly so it seems against Top 8 teams. I do not think it was mental or a lapse in concentration. We just could not physically sustain it during the following games against Top 8 sides. Anecdotally, it felt as if we had a better level of fitness in 2013 when you compare the manic defence of the Sydney Preliminary in 2013 to the fadeout during the Port Semi in 2014 for example.

Freo Fade Outs (2014).jpg

Watching some of the replays and too often last year we faded during games when gaining an ascendancy rather than pumping the opposition and particularly so it seems against Top 8 teams. I do not think it was mental or a lapse in concentration. We just could not physically sustain it during the following games against Top 8 sides. Anecdotally, it felt as if we had a better level of fitness in 2013 when you compare the manic defence of the Sydney Preliminary in 2013 to the fadeout during the Port Semi in 2014 for example.

View attachment 104974

Good analysis. Having said that, I think both Port games mentioned are anomalies. In the Semi, we should have had an unassailable lead by half time if we had taken our chances and kicked accurately. In the R23, it was 6 day break vs 8 day break, and we used up our interchanges by the 15 minute mark or so of the 4th. It's still consistent with Ross's style of getting a good lead and defending it, there's a conscious effort to put the foot down in the 3rd and into the middle of the 4th if we are in front or we have momentum. Even in the game vs the Eagles, when we let them have a run towards the end of the game, it was obvious (although Ross gave them all a massive spray after that).

I've just re-watched the Port R23 game - from 3rd quarter onwards we were on song until we ran out of legs due to the interchanges. We continued to attack until we built the lead enough to let Port get the run in the end. I'm watching the Hawthorn game again right now. When we are on, we really look the goods. Given how disappointing our straight sets exit from the finals was, it's easy to forget how good our footy was towards the end of last year, even with some important personell missing.

I started the QF vs Sydney, but decided not to continue watching it - too painful. Parts of me still wish we had finished 5th and won our EF... that run in the rain just killed any chance we had for a good run into the finals. And even then, if we had kicked straight, we could still have gotten into the PF vs the Hawks. :(

Remove this Banner Ad

Back