Gaming on consoles or PC? What do you prefer?

Remove this Banner Ad

BUMP - :D

Today I hate my PC - was in Battlefront and the mouse kept randomly clicking different buttons when I went to fire. Other times it just dies.

Vale the G9x. Looking for a replacement.

Dont fall into the temptation of the Console Peasants Chief. Dont do it.
upload_2015-11-21_1-57-36.jpeg

I floated between the two over the years, whether it was bouncing between a C64, CAmiga and NES (and later Mega Drive II). Or going between various pc's and the psx, ps2 etc. From the mid 2000's I was 99% console gamer, until 2010 when I finally purchased a new pc and shifted my attention to pc gaming (catching up on older titles as well as new ones) and spending less time on console's.

In 2012 I stopped buying console games as often as I normally would (going from several games a month to one game every couple of months) but still purchased pc games regularly. I let my Xbox Live Gold subscription expire last year....... I have a few XBL codes I can use to resubscribe but I don't connect the console often enough to bother to do it and just let the subscriptions lapse again (not even motivated to download the free monthly games like I occasionally would with the ps3).

I got back into console gaming with the purchase of the Arkham Knight ps4 in June. Almost had a flashback to the ps3 days (purchased that in mid 2008.... but barely connected it in the first few months, and rarely would use it the first few years of owning it, but that was because I couldn't pry myself away from the 360 lol). I have started to use it more often, I reupped my PS+ subscription thanks to the cheap PSN pre paid card deals from Coles (and again last week with the Woolworths deal). I'm trying to get my money's worth from the console by using it with some of the free time I have (usually about 6 hours between Thursday - Saturday).

In comparison I would play the 360 2 hours (but sometimes 4-6) daily for years, rarely ever taking gaming breaks of days or weeks (when this happened it was rarely due to boredom..... but more to the point of circumstances getting in the way, such as when my lounge room was ruined by a flash flood Melbourne experienced, and having to wait for it to be repaired etc).

Still by far my favourite 'console over PC' argument. Like do people not realise plugging a PC into a TV is basically the exact same as plugging a console into a TV?
No it's not. People do realise but some prefer the ease of just grabbing their controller and firing up a console. Also not everyone's living circumstances allows you to have your PC rig with the main TV of the house.

I'm as techy as they come, have been mucking around with computers since the late 1970s building machine code kit computers and have built several high end PCs over the years and have played PC games for years but these days switching on a PC though is more associated with work but firing up the PS4 is leisure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No it's not. People do realise but some prefer the ease of just grabbing their controller and firing up a console. Also not everyone's living circumstances allows you to have your PC rig with the main TV of the house.

You can even get your PC to launch directly into Steam big picture mode which is a console style interface with all the games...
There is literally no difference in ease. I would say most people's 'main TV' would have an amp and other similar devices, don't see why having a PC there is so hard to do...

The ease in console-to-tv (c2tv) is in the non thinking about it. With a PC you have to think about it, and you have to set up the system and get it ready first. Consoles are basically plug and play which makes them feel more leisurable.

The ease in console-to-tv (c2tv) is in the non thinking about it. With a PC you have to think about it, and you have to set up the system and get it ready first. Consoles are basically plug and play which makes them feel more leisurable.

Consoles typically need to install updates and what not when you start them up the first time, it takes all of 2 minutes to do it for PC and you're set.
And yeah, it's a one time thing. Every subsequent time they're identical.

It's just grasping at straws, I have consoles and PCs hooked up to TVs and there is really no difference in time or effort in getting into a game.

Still by far my favourite 'console over PC' argument. Like do people not realise plugging a PC into a TV is basically the exact same as plugging a console into a TV?

My computer is plugged into my TV. I use it to play Bradman 14 and watch movies but that's about it.

But if you want to play from the couch you need a controller. Find me a PC-exclusive game that uses a controller.

These "wars" are some of the most boring things on the internet.

My computer is plugged into my TV. I use it to play Bradman 14 and watch movies but that's about it.

But if you want to play from the couch you need a controller. Find me a PC-exclusive game that uses a controller.

These "wars" are some of the most boring things on the internet.

Did you know theres this thing called Bluetooth, that works with mice and keyboards...

Did you know theres this thing called Bluetooth, that works with mice and keyboards...

I have a wireless mouse and keyboard, yes.

Please explain how I'm meant to play a keyboard and mouse game from the couch. Shall I wax my upper leg and use it as a mousepad?

What do PC exclusives have to do with an ease of use debate? All multiplats have controller support, obviously MMOs and RTS' are keyboard and mouse but that's just a further option rather than a limitation.

But if you want to play from the couch you need a controller.

you really don't. you just need to find the right fit for you/your space.

Please explain how I'm meant to play a keyboard and mouse game from the couch. Shall I wax my upper leg and use it as a mousepad?

you find something that works well (i use a hard cover textbook) for mousing, and rest the keyboard on a cushion/my lap depending on which game im playing. if you're really lazy, you can put your feet on the coffee table. good to go. (the peripherals are just there for the pic, they sit on the couch with me obviously.)

pJDv4sS.jpg

like others have said, the whole debate is a bit dumb. all gaming systems are great, you've just got to go with what's best for you.

i owned and played both for years before eventually moving to PCs-only for wolfenstein 3d. i prefer PCs because they give me the most control over my gaming experience.

Ehh. I have a computer hooked up to my 50" tv and a 27" monitor on the desk.

I really can play anything I want. My computer can handle all games up to say medium graphics for the latest. I can K&M on the desk when I want or controller on the couch.

And, despite all of this, I inevitably find myself on the couch playing PS4 much more than anything.

I also have a Wii U which doesn't get much use and an old 360 that gathers dust.

Again, these "wars" are stupid. Just buy what you can enjoy/afford.

This is probably systematic of not having the time I had when I was a kid. I'm a much more casual gamer now, which the playstation suits, rather than having 3-4 hour continuous sessions on the PC back in the day.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back