Review Gaming, RPGs, and other stuff

Remove this Banner Ad

That is ******* hilarious. And the Necromancer set the oil on fire, you evil bunch of arse clowns. My only question is why you tried to climb down first???

I dont rightly recall why I went down there.

From memory, I had led the last 5 expeditions down that accursed Ziggurat (it had become a point of pride to clear the damn thing), and we were on the penultimate level. I figured an 80' pit must cut through the lower levels, so it was a possibility that we could circumvent the rest of that level and head straight down to the final one.

The climb check wasn't that difficult, it was just a s**t awful roll (open ended low). Followed by even worse luck with an open ended high attack roll for the pit, and the resulting piercing critical strikes nailing me in the guts.

Even then we were well equipped with healing herbs (life giving and the like). Sadly I underestimated the cunning (and overestimated the loyalty) of the Necromancer (who was ostensibly my apprentice).

It was one of those scenarios where you can visualize the events occurring as if they were real, and you talk about it for years afterwards as if it happened IRL. I can still imagine the look on the thief's face as he clung to side of that oily pit with the two spell-casters peering over the edge and my body impaled on spikes below him.

In that 4 year campaign I went through over a dozen characters, most of which were killed as a result of betrayal and party conflict. But in a weird way, it worked. Party politics, scheming, plans, party charters, challenges for leadership, divergent groups forming, factions and alliances etc.

It still remains the best RPG campaign I have ever been involved in.

I'm a big fan of RPGs. Playing Torchlight 2 right at this second, good little RPG basically an official sequel to diablo 2 (better than Diablo 3 imho). I played Baldur's Gate serious 3 times, Icewind Dale 1 and 2, Neverwinter Nights 1 and 2, and Planescape Torment. Fallout 1 & 2.

Growing up, loved the games Pool Of Radiance and Bard's Tale 2 on the C64. Wasted hours and hours on them, amazing fun.

Played some pen and paper D&D at school. Dumb parents forced me to give it up as it was "evil" because A Current Affair said so (yeah, no contact with them now).
You bloody geeks... :oops::oops::oops::D

One game to rule them all... Path of Exile... http://www.pathofexile.com/

Developed by an NZ indie developer (Grinding Gear Games) across the ditch it is an AWESOME ARPG. I've been a big time RPG since Pool of Radiance back on the C64 (not playing all the titles, but just playing some of them for years and years and years). Ages on PoR, Curse of Azure Bonds and Champions of Krynn (? i forget the 3rd), about 5 years in D2 and D2:LOD, before WoW sucked me in for a few years. Went through a few MMOs since: Age of Conan, Rift, SW:TOR, GW2 but none were fulfilling. I dumped 100+ hours into Skyrim, which was awesome and I had HUGE hopes on D3. Gave it plenty of game time for the 1st couple of months before hitting that INF wall pre-nerf. But the item grind, RMAH, lack of customisation (and rubberbanding) threw me off quickly.
I was then watching the odd "Kripparrian" youtube video and he mentioned this upcoming game PATH OF EXILE. I jumped into the Closed Beta* back in July... and have been in love ever since... even though so much was incomplete. Now as they're polishing/completing more content my love is just growing.

Having played the above titles... I can honestly state that Path Of Exile is easily the best ever ARPG I have ever played in my life time (even though it is still in Closed Beta* and it is only half complete).
I've posted more details in a thread in the video games board:
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/path-of-exile.964741/

* Path of Exile is currently in Closed Beta... it will be a totally Free-to-Play game when it moves in to Open Beta on Jan 23rd (US Time)... and they are totally against "pay to win" (like D3 RMAH). The micro-transactions available are all vanity type things or extra stash space. If you want early access you can buy a "Supporter Pack" for US$10 (well worth it) which gives you a beta key, as well as $10 worth of in game credit (to buy extra stash space, vanity pets etc).

WARNING... POE can be a bit intimidating/confusing for new players, because it introduces some new concepts for players to grasp (but they're simple once you adjust)... but given your gaming XP you should pick it up in no time. Ohh and it will feel a little "clunky" and "slow" to start with... this is by design, because as you grow in power things speed up considerably (and it feels good to see/feel your character grow stronger that way).

Anyway... if you find your way in to POE feel free to add me as a friend (despite being a Port supporter) and I'm always happy to help-out, answer questions or group up. Just add one of my character names: HC_Mik or MikDundee (both those should still be current).
Cheers.

I love you kaysee - you're almost the first person I've ever met who even knows what PoR is. And CotAB was excellent too, but PoR is probably my favourite game ever. 4 double sided C64 disks! Will check out PoE, if you know PoR you get some instant cred.

I love you kaysee - you're almost the first person I've ever met who even knows what PoR is. And CotAB was excellent too, but PoR is probably my favourite game ever. 4 double sided C64 disks! Will check out PoE, if you know PoR you get some instant cred.
Yeah... PoR was my 1st RPG. I liked CotAB better simply because it didn't contain that fricking stupid magic pyramid in the lake (?) which was as confusing as heck to explore :S

Also if you lost your decoder wheel... game over. :p

Yeah... PoR was my 1st RPG. I liked CotAB better simply because it didn't contain that fricking stupid magic pyramid in the lake (?) which was as confusing as heck to explore :S

Also if you lost your decoder wheel... game over. :p

That magic pyramid was awesome! And it was the first environmentally-aware game I can remember, if you got rid of the wizard, the river cleaned up and the land around it turned green instead of yellow... was it Sarrakesh?! And he wanted live Saughin to experiment on? yeah if you couldn't work out the maze, it was nasty. There were some tough fights in there. Minotaurs, dirges, emaciated dwarves, driders, sorted the men from the boys.

We took that decoder wheel to school and photocopied it...

Woah I completely forgot about this as I was really, really busy for a couple of months after making this thread.

Right now I feel pretty sad because I am playing Minecraft a fair bit haha.

Just a reminded that Path Of Exile is now up and running in Open Beta... totally FREE-2-PLAY. As in the entire game is free and microtransactions aren't rammed down you face at all. They're off in a separate part of the game, but allow you to by things like pets and item effects.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd forgotten about this thread and you happened to catch me distracting myself from making a Play by Post update to a pathfinder module, Carrion Hill, that I'm running on obsidian portal.

Very keen to hear of anyone interested in running, or paying in, a pathfinder campaign using play by post.

Trying to find a good balance for lessening the mechanics to focus on the writing.. but so far we've managed to run every combat in full turn by turn detail.

Well Rabbit, and anyone else who may be curious, jump into the link below and you can read through some of our progress so far.

http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/carrion-hill/campaign_forums/2248

Start at the bottom obviously and work your way 'up'. That link is to all the completed story arcs - up a level in the forums will let you see the current story arc.

If anyone is keen to get involved in a play by post game like that - I'm more than happy to set one up and run it for you. (or if someone else wants to run it.. I'll happily play). I've got a ton of pathfinder content to use.

The GTA games have never really been my thing. Might get it on a steam sale at some point.

Lately I've been working, and studying, and painting minis my 40k army, Dreadball starter and a few miscellaneous things for the Oath thread on another forum.

In between all that I've had enough time for the occasional game of World of Tanks and XCOM: Enemy Unknown, while playing helping a friend with too much money launder his regular ships into LTI ships in the Star Citizen pre-alpha store.

A kickstarter for the RPG players: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1513061270/reaper-miniatures-bones-ii-the-return-of-mr-bones

A kickstarter for minis fans: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1744629938/mars-attacks-the-miniatures-game

About to give Star Wars Edge of Empire (Pen and paper RPG) a go.

Character I've knocked up is called Aiden Starstrike, a former member of the Imperial Royal Guard given rudimentary force training as an Emperors hand, who deserted after the destruction of his homeworld Alderran.

Nerd alert.

Nerd alert.

did someone say nerd alert? http://imageshack.us/g/1/10259536/

I've not played Edge of Empire. Bought Fate Core from Sir Kickstarter, Slayer of Wallets, and downloaded Dark Heresy, but that's as far as I've ever gotten RPG wise. I think I've done well getting my non-nerd friends to play Last Night on Earth and enjoy it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back