Noidenous

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 2, 2012
Climbing out your mum's window
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers, Manchester UTD
Couldn't help but notice the distinct lack of a gaming related thread.

Just watched this cynically British take on the current state of the industry which was quite refreshing given how stale it's become:

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/charlie-brookers-gameswipe/

Would also like to actively encourage any steam users to interact in a non-footy manner, thus dispelling the much-regurgitated myth that gaming is an antisocial hobby.

Username: jorthax82

• Banned
Poker machines suck because of people like this

Don't forget they want you and me to pay for the rescue when they're stranded at sea.

Unless you're making some kind of ironic link to the likes of Sid Meier's Pirates, Settlers of Catan or the Patrician series, I fail to see the relevance.

Just bought a copy of the latest Sim City.

It's still downloading at the moment, but happy to answer any questions about the gameplay once I'm up and running.

Was super excited about it. But disliked pretty much everything they mentioned as 'new and exciting' - always online, have to connect to a server to play, no local saves - TINY plots for cities etc.

Seems it was mostly correct as well, sadly. With even more issues with traffic and stuff. So yeah, let us know how it goes and if it's worth pulling out some cash for. Cos I was a huge SC3000 and 4 fan.

Hope you can enjoy it though!

Just got a 42" TV for my bedroom so probably gonna be playing some X360 for a while :D Current games = FIFA 12, Max Payne 3 and I think I'm gonna do Bioshock again in waiting for Infinite!

• Banned
Was super excited about it. But disliked pretty much everything they mentioned as 'new and exciting' - always online, have to connect to a server to play, no local saves - TINY plots for cities etc.

Seems it was mostly correct as well, sadly. With even more issues with traffic and stuff. So yeah, let us know how it goes and if it's worth pulling out some cash for. Cos I was a huge SC3000 and 4 fan.

Hope you can enjoy it though!

Just got a 42" TV for my bedroom so probably gonna be playing some X360 for a while :D Current games = FIFA 12, Max Payne 3 and I think I'm gonna do Bioshock again in waiting for Infinite!
The plot sizes do seem small and unfortunately they decided to do away with the traditional single player mode. Forces you to plan ahead well in advance though. It's not like the past versions where you could essentially start out with your roads and fill the gaps with a formulaic approach.

Have been happy with the number of patches coming out to tweak things like traffic and supply paths. It's rare these days to have a publisher dedicated to actually fine-tuning things (Might and Magic: Heroes VI anyone?).

Did find out tonight that if you decide to trash your city and start again, any outstanding bonds are inherited by whoever takes up your spot if it's abandoned. Bit of old-school griefing to be had there. :D

The always-online DRM doesn't really restrict gameplay as it's purely multiplayer now anyway, and you can take up any (public) city in any server because lag isn't an issue.

It'll tide me over until I finally get notified about the Carmageddon: Reincarnation beta-testing.

I've really gotten into NBA2K13. Brilliant game, absolutely amazing even if you have little basketball knowledge. Great gameplay offline, good MyCareer mode and great Association mode gameplay. Would recommend.

• Banned
I've really gotten into NBA2K13. Brilliant game, absolutely amazing even if you have little basketball knowledge. Great gameplay offline, good MyCareer mode and great Association mode gameplay. Would recommend.
Some of those 'career' modes turn out to be much more enjoyable than the main franchise itself, depending on which version you've purchased.

Madden 2008 or 2009 had a somewhat buggy (AI QB passing backwards every play) release but for the most part those could be bypassed.

Am more into Pro Evo than FIFA, although this year's 'Become A Legend' is better on the pitch, last year's one really stood out in terms of manager feedback and the like.

Upload some photos of your progress/cities as you go!

My first city from the recent version, about 10 hours of play before it fell victim to the rollback/abandon bug.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=133484226

Nice little coal-mining town. A tad haphazard because of poor initial planning. Was more of a knockabout run. Tried to create a coal-mining town functioning simultaneously as an education center for the region. Not exactly the most complementary services one could decide upon.

The one I'm working on at the moment has around 150k higher population, and without using the well-worn 'grid' system.

Some clips/trailers from E3:

Final Fantasy XV (trailer)

Watch Dogs (gameplay)

Elder Scrolls Online (trailer)

Thief - Out of the Shadows (trailer)

Saints Row IV - War for Humanity (trailer)

The NBA 2K14 trailer looks amazing. Also it looks like PS4 will be the better console, cannot believe some of the things Microsoft have put into the X-Box One.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The NBA 2K14 trailer looks amazing. Also it looks like PS4 will be the better console, cannot believe some of the things Microsoft have put into the X-Box One.
Haven't had a chance to check out the NBA 2k14 trailer as yet.

I get the feeling Microsoft rushed their release a fair bit more than they were initially willing to, which may hurt them in the long run, although it doesn't affect me much being PC-oriented. :p

After turning my back on Sony for the last generation. It looks like I'll be screaming back and on my knees for forgiveness.

Nothing will beat the times I had on my PS1 and PS2 - AFL 99, Destruction Derby and FIFA 06...Memories!

It's looking like I'll be drawn back to the console world for the odd title, mainly because it's looking like the 'PC in a box' last gen was hyped as (but never really lived up to) is much closer.

That said, I'm more skeptical than ever regarding games being in a finished state when launched.

One of my gripes with the current state of movies, music and games is that you have to shell out the cash, rely on (underhanded) paid reviews or wait until the vanilla version is finished before you ever get to find out what the end product will be.

Gameplay is king. If all I'm doing is playing the same old game with prettier graphics and no other redeeming features, I won't keep with it, making any purchase completely redundant. If 3/4 of the paying audience is doing the same thing, the company who made the product doesn't see it as a massive failure, they only look at the sales.

Prototype was one that many people picked up because the combat was fluid in a sandbox etc, but it was really a piece of s**t game. Sold heaps, but played like s**t. Now look at Final Fantasy XV. Prototype with swords. Bah.

That said, one PC game I know will definitely be engaging and innovative is Rome II: Total War. Some gameplay with dev commentary:

This. Yes. Just Yes.
Haha. Definitely.

Hopefully it doesn't get homebrew cracked as fast and kill the online side of things.

No fun getting to a 9600+ ranking only to be chained with blue shells before you even get over the starting line. :mad:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back