Gardening

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought I saw the netting extend over the roof. Good idea too, because you also need to keep predatory birds out.

What sort of tree is it? You wouldn't want poisonous berries dropping into the pen.

It is a pepper tree, well more like a weed actually. I rang the ABC gardening show to find out if the berries were fit for human consumption, they weren't...I might have to get on the blower again to see if they are alright for chickens.

Here are the green zebras.

CAM00166.jpg

This was taken last week. The big one there that is slightly orange was red this morning and I just had to pick it. So yum.

Planting tomatoes in winter? Dumb move or just brilliant luck due to the warm autumn? You be the judge.

We've been eating those as well they are an extraordinarily tasty little gadget.None have lasted long enough to get vaguely orange.

Today is a day that work should be banned.
Bloody glorious.

Should be gardening and Weber-ing a lamb shoulder.

He lives!! Obviously thought better of waking somebody up the other day :p

We've been eating those as well they are an extraordinarily tasty little gadget.None have lasted long enough to get vaguely orange.

I've got a couple out there now that are red. Will take a picture tomorrow.

I didn't know you could eat them still green.

The cherry tomato vine is going nuts. 130 fruit on quick count. It's something like 8 ft tall.

If you're on the Gold Coast I'm about as far away as I could be without leaving the country south of Perth,but very warm autumn beginning to winter down here.
Sounds as though our tastes are pretty different too.Tomatillos are prolific as well and they too are yum in green.

I've accidentally over-sprayed my broccoli with weed'n'feed that I was applying to my lawn. It was on the edge of my vege garden and my dog went to run under the hose and i accidentally sprayed onto my veges. The leaves went all droopy for days, but I've kept the watering up trying to wash it away. Looks like they might survive...

The russian red Kale is growing well, but i don't know when i can start harversting from it. I would manage it would taste really bitter if i went too early.

So, destroy one of the most nutritious vege's known to man? No thanks, if you're going to crumb, sugar and deep fry it you might as well do the same to a shoe - it'd be more filling at least.
Joke.

Haven't tried cale, so I'll have to put it on the list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The russian red Kale is growing well, but i don't know when i can start harversting from it. I would manage it would taste really bitter if i went too early.

You'd be wrong. Pick the baby leaves, it goes a bit tough and bitter if left to grow.

Mine is only just coming back from a full scale aphid attack and has been transplanted into a big pot in the sun. Where it was in the vege patch under the tomatoes it wasn't getting any light.

Here are the green zebras.

CAM00166.jpg

This was taken last week. The big one there that is slightly orange was red this morning and I just had to pick it. So yum.

Planting tomatoes in winter? Dumb move or just brilliant luck due to the warm autumn? You be the judge.

I never posted pictures of the red ones. I just kept picking them and eating lol

I think this bunch here has been all eaten and I'm moving up the vine.

You can actually see the Red Russian Kale pre-moving in the top left of this pic.

I'm on leave in 2 weeks so a trailer full of compost is being purchased and gardening is being done in earnest.
Want a heap of late winter veg going in: silverbeet, radish, Tuscn cabbage, lettuces/rocket and a compost bins started. have to largeltkeep the food scraps out due to rats, but will have lawn clippings, manure and sugar cane mulch going in

Have a citrus that needs rehabilitating, roses to be pruned a trampoline to be put up, and some serious Weber-ing to be done.

I'm on leave in 2 weeks so a trailer full of compost is being purchased and gardening is being done in earnest.
Want a heap of late winter veg going in: silverbeet, radish, Tuscn cabbage, lettuces/rocket and a compost bins started. have to largeltkeep the food scraps out due to rats, but will have lawn clippings, manure and sugar cane mulch going in

Have a citrus that needs rehabilitating, roses to be pruned a trampoline to be put up, and some serious Weber-ing to be done.

That sounds like living! Please take pictures.

I was just outside taking some pics of my ripe Green Zebras. Will upload soon.

Yep, there is a tree right in the middle of the pen. However, there is a roof made of chicken wire. I obviously had to cut a hole to fit it around the tree, but that has been re-enforced with more wire. Pretty sure cats cant get in.

Ended up getting a Leghorn and an Austrolorp, both 6 weeks old.
Never underestimate foxes. I've seen them climb chicken wire and across the top to climb down the tree... grab a chook and exit quietly... and this was in the metro area.

Do you people all live in South Carolina or something? I didn't even know we had foxes in the cities here.

Do you people all live in South Carolina or something? I didn't even know we had foxes in the cities here.
Oh yeah. Back when I was a copper... on night shift we'd see them regularly. I worked around Maylands, Morley, Inglewood, North Perth and Leederville. They sleep up in the tress in the day around Leederville in particular.

Never underestimate foxes. I've seen them climb chicken wire and across the top to climb down the tree... grab a chook and exit quietly... and this was in the metro area.

With a bit of luck I have fox proofed the chook pen. There are no entry points from the roof. I cut a hole to fit the wire around the tree and then tied more wire from the hole to the tree (if that makes sense) ensuring that there is no gap around the tree.

Chickens are still alive and kicking!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back