Gardening

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think it's possible to grow corn that tastes bad, one of the vegetables that almost always taste better than stuff from the supermarket.

I've only ever just put butter and salt on mine.

Definitely. Rock Melons similarly are best ripe straight off the vine. They always pick them early for the shops for the sake of longevity but the taste is sacrificed. Even onions straight out of the ground are noticeably tastier and same with spuds.

Here's my eChurrasco BBQ. Uses gas to get the charcoal burning and then you turn off the gas after 8 minutes. Stays hot for hours. Great for cooking corn. Gives it a nice Smokey flavour.

Got the roasting hood this week and doing a lamb roast on it tonight.
View attachment 103459

Tri-tip?

Half my herbs ended up moving onto a better place. They've been replaced and the replacements appear happy :)

One thing I can't seem to ever grow though is Coriander. Three other people I know have tried and failed. What's the secret? It absolutely takes off for a month or two and then carks it

ne thing I can't seem to ever grow though is Coriander. Three other people I know have tried and failed. What's the secret? It absolutely takes off for a month or two and then carks it

Same problem here takes off then bolts to seed and dies. I think it's to do with the variety. I'm going to have to look into it and get the right seeds.

Half my herbs ended up moving onto a better place. They've been replaced and the replacements appear happy :)

One thing I can't seem to ever grow though is Coriander. Three other people I know have tried and failed. What's the secret? It absolutely takes off for a month or two and then carks it

Coriander hates heat and cold.
It's really a spring/autumn crop.

But if you want to try now: try in the coller spot in your garden. Heavy compost, plenty of water, regular feed

Same problem here takes off then bolts to seed and dies. I think it's to do with the variety. I'm going to have to look into it and get the right seeds.

Slow bolt tends to never take off but dies just the same as another variety I had which shot up and then died. Tried pruning it back when it was trying to flower but no luck

Just an update. made Paella for friends last night on the eChurrasco BBQ...and it turned out fantastic. The heat beads give a much more even spread of heat across the bottom of the dish so I got no burning like you often do when cooking on a gas burner. I also cooked three pizza's for starters prior to this using the roasting hood. Took about 12 minutes per pizza.
InstagramCapture_09600867-f316-4f3d-bb28-8663832e8849.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some Spanish fella on TV told me that Paellas are supposed to burn on the bottom. :eek:
That just farks your pan I find. My friend Antonio who is from Spain taught me his family way of making it. A few ground rules apparently;
1. Paella is always cooked by men.
2. Should always be cooked outside.
3. Always on a fire. (this gives you a Smokey taste).

His family's twists;
1. Use smoked paprika (for even more Smokey flavour) not sweet paprika.
2. Throw in a jar of marinated artichokes.

Looks like a Canna Lily. The neighbours probably have some and they self sow pretty easily.

Canna-Mix2.jpg

Can anyone identify this weed. It seems to have an expansive root system and is popping up everywhere and not responding to standard weed killer. View attachment 106040

Yes. Sought the 2nd opinion of the wife and she concur's with Mr Perrin's opinion (Mr P, I have noted that many on other boards and other subjects perhaps would not:)) - Canna Lily. She mentioned something about needing to dig up / kill off the roots. I wouldn't have a clue cos my mantra is, if you can't eat it, why on earth would you grow it.

So the corn crop is dusted and the pre season thread is very quiet with the boys getting the weekend off it seems.
A good time to hit the gardening thread and indulge therein upon the next fruit of this growing season - melons.

So the story goes like this:-
Husband: I'm thinking of replacing your Cordylines and Agapanthus with a run of melons.
Wife: ..........(Deftly (i.e. deathly) quiet)
Husband: (OK. Need for Compromise). Let's keep the agapanthas - cos they are purple.

The definition of compromise, watermelons & rockies to the left shaded by the Agapanthus. :-

photo 2.JPG photo 4.JPG photo 3.JPG

I'm trying to work out when to pick and the suggestions are to eyeball how yellow the underside is and to tap it for hollowness. They both are so subjective. Anyone know of anything a little more scientific / precise?

Yes. Sought the 2nd opinion of the wife and she concur's with Mr Perrin's opinion (Mr P, I have noted that many on other boards and other subjects perhaps would not:)) - Canna Lily. She mentioned something about needing to dig up / kill off the roots. I wouldn't have a clue cos my mantra is, if you can't eat it, why on earth would you grow it.
Yes, on other boards and in other threads I tend to get a negative reaction to some of my opinions, but then sometimes that's exactly what they're there for. ;)

My Cannas are there to screen out the neighbour as the fence is short that side. I've got a jungle of different varieties that grow a little over 6 feet tall. In my experience, the two most effective ways of killing them off are frost and owning too many ducks.

I'm trying to work out when to pick and the suggestions are to eyeball how yellow the underside is and to tap it for hollowness. They both are so subjective. Anyone know of anything a little more scientific / precise?
I still knock on my melons to tell if they're ripe, but if the tendril nearest to the vine's connection with the melon is brown, it's ready to go.

Never thought of canna lilies being considered weeds before, I like them. Nice little attractive space filler with the way they spread.

Freshly picked from the garden. Juicy, sweet, seedless sultana grapes. I can't remember whether I planted the vine 3 or 4 years ago, but this is the first year with a decent crop.

Grapes_zps6e885a2a.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back