Gardening

Remove this Banner Ad

Just collected about 30 tonnes of broccoli :D

But think I'll have to do 2 per week next time.

I made this mistake with my tomatoes. Planted them all at once, had so much I could barely eat them then I had none.

Been scratching my head after my recently purchased ( and very healthy at that time ) mandarin tree just shed 70% of its leaves.. Gave it water, some nutrients but nothing worked.
Finally had my first batch of home compost come through so threw some on ( food scraps n lawn clippings)
Boy o boy wowee !! Citrus corner is now humming after no activity for 6 months, new shoots everywhere.

So I ask - apart from raiding the lettuce leaf bins at coles how do I promote the compost, it seems to be the secret ingredient ...

Would a worm farm in conjunction help ??

Been scratching my head after my recently purchased ( and very healthy at that time ) mandarin tree just shed 70% of its leaves.. Gave it water, some nutrients but nothing worked.
Finally had my first batch of home compost come through so threw some on ( food scraps n lawn clippings)
Boy o boy wowee !! Citrus corner is now humming after no activity for 6 months, new shoots everywhere.

So I ask - apart from raiding the lettuce leaf bins at coles how do I promote the compost, it seems to be the secret ingredient ...

Yes.

My garden's a disgrace...got a bad case of the "can't be ****ed's"

At my old place my neighbour was a chef. Used to bring home those foam crate things full of past expiry veges for us to compost up in a pit I made in the garden. The chicken was in worm heaven, she would spend hours in there.

You just gotta make sure you turn it and keep it buried. Chopping it up with a shovel helps too. Smaller particles break down quicker.

If you eat enough veges it shouldn't be that hard to get it going decent. I always had fruit and veges going off because I was lazy or forgot to eat them, straight in the compost.

Organic soil, compost, worms, rainwater, chicken poo, mulch. I did it all and my garden couldn't be tamed. A lot of it was just ending up in the compost pit through pruning and and the tomatoes that rotted on the vine and got hit with fruit flies.

Thanks guys, appreciate the help.
Threw some scraps in yesterday and just noticed a heaps of little ants in there ( it's a ground based unit) gonna throw some antex around the edge of it n hope the other buggers kark it n add to the nutrients !!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks guys, appreciate the help.
Threw some scraps in yesterday and just noticed a heaps of little ants in there ( it's a ground based unit) gonna throw some antex around the edge of it n hope the other buggers kark it n add to the nutrients !!

I wouldn't use any poisons. Could make it's way into your food.

I had ants, aphids, fruit flies, butterflies (caterpillers), grasshoppers and 3 different types of bees. Yes you have to fight the bugs but that's part of the fun. As long as they only eat a little bit and you remain vigilant on removing the bigger infestations you'll be okay.

I loved catching the grasshoppers and presenting them to the chicken alive. The chook would then decide their fate and she was a harsh judge :p

Set up the worm farm today, bought a kilo of worms from gumtree, supposedly like 500 worms... I lost count at 247 and the seller was getting impatient. Speaking of patience, can't believe I have to wait a month or two until they get their act together - found a worm steroids recipe online so gonna get them on the juice !!
Can't wait..

With aphids on your roses the poisons don't work anyway, just have to sit back and wait for the good ole ladybugs to move in and get to work ;)
NEEM knocks'em for a bit and spraying the bushes with the hose makes the *ers consider a new rental agreement.

Set up the worm farm today, bought a kilo of worms from gumtree, supposedly like 500 worms... I lost count at 247 and the seller was getting impatient. Speaking of patience, can't believe I have to wait a month or two until they get their act together - found a worm steroids recipe online so gonna get them on the juice !!
Can't wait..

ants hate damp/wet soil,so it would be good to check if water is actually getting down and around to your plants,so if your soil is dry,expect the little buggers to move in.

I found the trick to good compost is work on a 6 week cycle.

I have 2 compost bins. I start it with soil, shredded paper and lots of water, then add kitchen waste (Vegies, leftover bread, egg shells, coffee grounds) every day. I mix it in with the spiral implement that draws the bottom ingredients up to the surface. I do this daily for 6 weeks, then start the new one. By that stage, the other bin has been getting mixed and watered but no extra nutrients have been added.

The 6 week old compost gets put on the vegie patch and I start all over again.

Keep the compost moist at all times. If it dries out, it can get infested with maggots, and other creepy crawlies. I have the bins just behind the vegie patches, so I take the lids off when I water and the over spray goes into the bins.

I have never added worms to my compost, but within a couple of days of starting a new batch I see a few in there.

I don't always use the coffee grounds or egg shells in the compost. I will often spread them around my vegie patch as a deterrent to snails.

One of the buying factors when I bought my house was the abundance of birds. We went to look at around 5 o clock one afternoon and the garden was visited by honey-eaters, wilily wagtails and parrots when we were there. I have 3 bird baths, keep them filled and have loved watching the birds for the 10 years plus that we have been in the house.

Last year, I had a great crop of figs on my fig tree. No critters seemed to be interested. This year however, the figs have been getting nibbled at and even totally eaten. I went outside last week and there were about 6 or 7 willy-wagtails going into the bird bath, then flying straight to the figs for their dinner, then back to the bath etc.

I don't want to get rid of the bird baths (this particular one - The Mexican, is at short forward square leg), or in fact the birds. I tied a few plastic shopping bags in the tree branches a few days ago and that seems to be doing the job.

One of the buying factors when I bought my house was the abundance of birds. We went to look at around 5 o clock one afternoon and the garden was visited by honey-eaters, wilily wagtails and parrots when we were there. I have 3 bird baths, keep them filled and have loved watching the birds for the 10 years plus that we have been in the house.

Last year, I had a great crop of figs on my fig tree. No critters seemed to be interested. This year however, the figs have been getting nibbled at and even totally eaten. I went outside last week and there were about 6 or 7 willy-wagtails going into the bird bath, then flying straight to the figs for their dinner, then back to the bath etc.

I don't want to get rid of the bird baths (this particular one - The Mexican, is at short forward square leg), or in fact the birds. I tied a few plastic shopping bags in the tree branches a few days ago and that seems to be doing the job.

They like silver hair for their nests...you should be safe :thumbsu:

I don't have a lot of hair but what I do have is silver nowadays!
homergrooming669501.jpg

That's pretty funny. I went on holiday one time and when I came back, the guys from the workshop had put a Homer doll in my office as a replacement, but coloured in long sideburns on him. I am looking at it recently and thinking that I need to change his sidies to silver. :(

Remove this Banner Ad

Back