Gary Ablett Highlight Reels - What More Can You Say

Remove this Banner Ad

GuyIncognito

All Australian
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
The following video clips are a collection of Ablett highlights from his debut in 1982 to around the 1990 season, the mid-point of his career. There are many on this planet who have not seen footage of the great man during the '80's and this package illustrates what is surely the greatest combination of speed, skill, marking ability, strength and magic the AFL world has seen. Sit back and enjoy.

Highlight Reel 1

[youtube]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_0d4DVMl10E&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_0d4DVMl10E&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Highlight Reel 2

[youtube]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_O6wU-Y33zw&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_O6wU-Y33zw&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Highlight Reel 3

[youtube]tyf2mwUiD48[/youtube]

Highlight Reel 4

[youtube]q257cSq0fl8[/youtube]

Highlight Reel 5

[youtube]4IQ6O755AAI[/youtube]

Highlight Reel 6

[youtube]TiKNKqAVhyQ[/youtube]

Highlight Reel 7

[youtube]HzR6WEazzeo[/youtube]

Highlight Reel 8

[youtube]lM1Q2QT-GW4[/youtube]

Highlight Reel 9

[youtube]ml5UXmC7RWM[/youtube]

Highlight Reel 10

[youtube]XuFYC02YV9o[/youtube]

Highlight Reel 11

[youtube]xpuH7tjz8ls[/youtube]

Highlight Reel 12

[youtube]1fWqXmEPLPM[/youtube]

Gary Ablett - Geelong vs Hawthorn Grand Final 1989

[youtube]mc6118yATwc[/youtube]

Gary Ablett - vs Melbourne 1st Semi-Final 1989 vs Essendon Preliminary Final 1989

[youtube]lM1Q2QT-GW4[/youtube]

Cheers

Just truely unbelievable stuff by Gazza. His sense of where the goals are is amazing. Funny to see how much he looks like Jr and Nath when playing footy.

How funny is some of those hair styles!!! Mullets a plenty and those tight shorts! hahaha Gehrig would have fitted in better back then.

Thanks for that GuyIncognito! :D Brought plenty of smiles to my face.

Thanks Guy. For this iv bein waiting along time for some video highlights of this great man His the best footballers iv sein personaly. Credit 2 ya champ

I feel privileged to say that I saw him play probably about 20 times (not nearly enough though!). Even on the days it seemed he wasn't having a blinder he'd end up with 6 or 7 goals.

The roar of the crowd that came from Kardinia Park whenever he got within 30 metres of the ball is something I'll never forget.

Genius.

I was fortunate enough to have been at the 89 Prelim and even though I was only 7 at the time, much of the day is still quite vivid. Gazza's performance that day I believe was probably better than the one the following week. He was simply unstoppable - goals from 60 on the run, goals from the boundary, brilliant marking, he did it all and he did it effortlessly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember when Melbourne beat Geelong at the MCG in 1993, and yet Ablett himself kicked 11. I was 7. Good times.
(From memory) he kicked ten or more in a losing side three times that year, and I think it's only been done about ten times in history.

In highlight reel 2 at the 5.26 min mark he does what i call the reverse hang. Running with the flight of the ball he still manages to sit on the guys shoulders and take the grab. He will be remembered for something his son never will be, a Geelong great.

One thing that really stands out in those videos is his ability to kick goals from 60+ meters. At one point he kicks a drop punt around his body from about 55m and it sails through mid post. Freak.

amazing...obviously a big fan of Gary snr (forget junior) he's only in the same league as Judd, Williams and Matera etc, but Ablett senior was like no player I have ever seen. I use to go to matches when Carey and North were at their peak in the 90's just to watch Carey play but I still feel that Gary has him covered though. He use to hit the pack so hard and always created opportunities whenever he was near the ball at only 185cm tall imagine what his impact may have been at 195cm tall (then again may have been a completely different athlete). If he was playing today at his best I think the game would get alot more visibility in the United States with the top 10 countdown's etc with some of the marking and plays he could come up with. No player today would match Gary and just look at the some of backman these type of players had to play on and compare them to today's players:p Scarlett against Snr..ummmm Scarlett would be balding already after the beating Gary's knee would do to that cranium:thumbsu:

Superb memories. The amazing thing is that Sandy Roberts made a highlight reel for HIS 93 season, it was that good. And we'd started to forget his impact?? No other player could do ALL the stuff he did- the acceleration, the tackles and bumps, the speccy marks, the 60+ metre goals with either foot, just the way he wanted that ball no matter what. Simply the best, nobody really compares.

Raging bull, stealthy leopard, genious.... power personified! Nobody has his skill set and maybe never will. What a legend.

Superb memories. The amazing thing is that Sandy Roberts made a highlight reel for HIS 93 season, it was that good. And we'd started to forget his impact?? No other player could do ALL the stuff he did- the acceleration, the tackles and bumps, the speccy marks, the 60+ metre goals with either foot, just the way he wanted that ball no matter what. Simply the best, nobody really compares.

I consider myself extremely fortunate to have witnessed most of his career live. Some amazing days.

Footballing genius!

By far the best and most entertaining player Ive ever seen.

He seemed to save his best for us:(

Now Hawthorn were very good in the 80s, but imagine if they'd held onto Ablett as well :eek:!

Don't you reckon Hawthorn flags in '83, '86, '87, '88, '89 and '91 during Ablett's career were enough? :eek:

I remember watching his first game in Geelong colours, was a practice match against Sydney at Kardinia, I don't think Hawthorn had actually released him to Geelong at that point. I could only watch the first half. He was playing on the wing and from memory he'd kicked 2.6 before I left. He was kicking them 60m on both feet.

Exhilirating.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back