Rumour Gary Ablett might never play again

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
I am no doctor but I heard Peter Larkins say all it means is his shoulder is now stable, but too stable / stiff. The hydro dilatation is designed to free it up. If it doesn't work they'll do an arthroscope to remove scar tissue. Doesn't sound too serious, just a minor setback.

Have a mate that was just diagnosed (in the opinion of his surgeon) with the same issue as GAJ. Was told that the corrective surgery has a reasonable failure rate and that often further treatment is necessary. I did my shoulder a few times and had surgery in year 12. It was a simple cut in 2 and re stitch to tighten up. I think they move a tendon as well. I was told that the only limitation I was potentially going to encounter was particularly minor, which didn't eventuate anyway. Sounds like not all shoulder problems are created equal.

Hope the champ is doing chin-ups sooner rather than later.

Experimental

Norm Smith Medallist
May 20, 2012
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers
Why hasn't Ablett signed yet?
He wrote an article in the Gold Coast Bulletin yesterday saying that he'll definitely re-sign, but the paperwork is still being finalised. Personally, I think his shoulder is a worry and it's delayed his contract extension. He'll want to sign with his shoulder 100% recovered, not the current 90% with difficulties taking an overhead mark.

Remember, Pickering is a campaigner when it comes to holding clubs to ransom. He'll want Gaz to get the most coin he can, and he won't get that coin unless he can prove he's completely recovered - i.e. after the first few rounds.

He wrote an article in the Gold Coast Bulletin yesterday saying that he'll definitely re-sign, but the paperwork is still being finalised. Personally, I think his shoulder is a worry and it's delayed his contract extension. He'll want to sign with his shoulder 100% recovered, not the current 90% with difficulties taking an overhead mark.

Remember, Pickering is a campaigner when it comes to holding clubs to ransom. He'll want Gaz to get the most coin he can, and he won't get that coin unless he can prove he's completely recovered - i.e. after the first few rounds.
Probably struggling to use a pen with that 90% shoulder to ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lester Burnham

Cancelled
Jul 9, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong

You're assuming that it's Ablett who has resisted signing. It could be that the club is reluctant to sign until his shoulder is proven to be fixed.

Experimental

Norm Smith Medallist
May 20, 2012
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers
I don't know if this is true or not but rumour goes third hand through me (maybe fourth) that Gaz had more surgery on the shoulder two weeks back.
Not sure if it's 2 weeks, but he did have another hydrodilation operation very recently. He's had it done several times since his initial surgery, but it's not a severe or dangerous operation.

Here's some info:

The procedure is performed under local anaesthetic, takes about 15 minutes to complete and the patient goes home immediately afterwards. The procedure appears to be safe with transient pain during and after the procedure being the most common complaint.

Hydodilatation involves stretching the capsule of the joint by injecting a mixture of sterile saline, local anaesthetic and steroid. This opens up the joint and releases sticky adhesions within the joint. The Radiologist performs the procedure in the Xray department using Xray guidance to ensure the injection is accurately placed.

You will be asked to lie on your back with your hand by your side. The skin will be cleaned and local anaesthetic will be given to numb up the area. A fine needle will be introduced onto the surface of the shoulder joint under Xray guidance and a small volume of Xray dye (iodine contrast) will be injected to ensure safe positioning.

The saline, steroid and further local anaesthetic will then be given.

Not sure if it's 2 weeks, but he did have another hydrodilation operation very recently. He's had it done several times since his initial surgery, but it's not a severe or dangerous operation.

Here's some info:

I guess the key info is in previous cases of GAJ's injury, how many of these procedures and how often do they need to be performed to get resolution of the issue. Meaning is his repeated need for the procedure normal. more than normal etc…

GO Catters

Experimental

Norm Smith Medallist
May 20, 2012
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers
I guess the key info is in previous cases of GAJ's injury, how many of these procedures and how often do they need to be performed to get resolution of the issue. Meaning is his repeated need for the procedure normal. more than normal etc…

GO Catters
From what I understand, the procedure can occur every few weeks and hypothetically makes the recovery process quicker for those with a 'frozen shoulder' (like Gaz). I suppose one way of looking at it would be:

Week 1: Gaz's range of motion of at 70% and has hydrodilation therapy
Week 6: Gaz's range of motion is at 80% and has hydrodilation therapy
Week 9: Gaz's range of motion is 85% and has hydrodilation therapy
Week 15: Gaz's range of motion is at 90% and has hydrodilation therapy
etc

Last I heard his range of motion was at roughly 90% and could take overhead marks but not completely effectively. Each treatment of hydrodilation increases his recovery and range of motion, albeit very slowly.

As for whether the number of sessions he's had is normal or not - I have no idea. I only hear unconfirmed reports from people at the club, rather than media releases, but I'd say he's had more sessions than normal. Having a frozen shoulder after a bad dislocation is definitely not uncommon, but it's not the norm either. It can last anywhere from 5 to 26 months.

I'd say Gaz is very unlucky, but it's in no way a permanent disability or impairment. He's made great improvement and will almost 100% play in NAB3 or Round 1.

From what I understand, the procedure can occur every few weeks and hypothetically makes the recovery process quicker for those with a 'frozen shoulder' (like Gaz). I suppose one way of looking at it would be:

Week 1: Gaz's range of motion of at 70% and has hydrodilation therapy
Week 6: Gaz's range of motion is at 80% and has hydrodilation therapy
Week 9: Gaz's range of motion is 85% and has hydrodilation therapy
Week 15: Gaz's range of motion is at 90% and has hydrodilation therapy
etc

Last I heard his range of motion was at roughly 90% and could take overhead marks but not completely effectively. Each treatment of hydrodilation increases his recovery and range of motion, albeit very slowly.

As for whether the number of sessions he's had is normal or not - I have no idea. I only hear unconfirmed reports from people at the club, rather than media releases, but I'd say he's had more sessions than normal. Having a frozen shoulder after a bad dislocation is definitely not uncommon, but it's not the norm either. It can last anywhere from 5 to 26 months.

I'd say Gaz is very unlucky, but it's in no way a permanent disability or impairment. He's made great improvement and will almost 100% play in NAB3 or Round 1.

Sounds like while the mobility is slowly returning and increasing, it still is not to the level that AFL players need ( probably ok for regular folk). I guess my concern would be if the ROM is not there yet then the strength of the joint is also down as as result. That would be my concern about getting that strength back which can't' happen fully until the ROM is there.

GO Catters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back