Opinion Gary Ablett Senior

Remove this Banner Ad

Saw GA Snr play a game against West Coast at subiaco one day in the 90's. We all know of the goal kicking feats but this day he gathered 30+ possessions from CHB and absolutely smashed the weeagles. Took it to another level. Anyone remember that?
B.O.

I wonder how many more he'll write. And every book with a new angle.
If it is cathartic for him, helps him in his current world, and gives us some more insights, I hope he keeps it going.

I can understand Ablett's sentiments about the news papers with their headlines of the "Ablett Factor" etc.

I often found the headlines in the Geelong Advertiser annoying in that they often portrayed Ablett as being the difference between Geelong and the others.

No team can win a Premiership off the back of one player, and that is no more evident than the Geelong sides of the late 80's up to the mid 90's.

you might be right but hey, he almost did

what a ride that one player took us on

the best footy watching of all time.

I got more footy enjoyment from watching him than anything else.

The Flags were relief and satisfaction before you ask.

But GAS was just that far apart from anything else it was impossible to not just sit back, marvel, enjoy and be entertained.

Go Catters

the best footy watching of all time.

I got more footy enjoyment from watching him than anything else.

The Flags were relief and satisfaction before you ask.

But GAS was just that far apart from anything else it was impossible to not just sit back, marvel, enjoy and be entertained.

Go Catters

Agreed. But given how bad footy books are in general, and from the tenor of his previous efforts, I have close to zero interest reading what he has to say now.

I have only seen small pieces that were published in the news papers. It did not read well. If he published a book that just had pictures I may be interested.

I have only seen small pieces that were published in the news papers. It did not read well. If he published a book that just had pictures I may be interested.
He put out a book about 5 years ago that was just all the newspaper articles put together. (I think, I haven't read it in a while).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The notion he didnt train is just a lie. I can tell you for absolute fact that while he may not have trained with his team mates, he trained. eg. The preseason of 85 i think it was, he didnt do a session with the boys until the camp that they had in Anglesea which from memory was in late Feb. There was a little bit of chatter that Gazza hadnt trained, and guys were bitching. That was until he turned up at camp and won EVERY test. He won sprints. He won strength. The only thing he didnt win was a distance run but even then he was in the top 20. Turns out Gaz had been in Balnarring or somewhere up in NSW hunting pigs. With no gun. Just a big * off knife and a dog. He was fit as *. So yeah. The urban legend is he didnt train. He did, it was just different.

I put it all down to his theoretical religious beliefs - if you get my drift.

I think that it has as much to do with the fact that he is not very articulate and probably needs a ghost behind him to write most of his stuff so that it is palatable for a general audience.
Although I did read where he used some analogy to Peanut Butter to argue for creationism and that made me cringe. But I would not expect much from him on such topics. He is a retired football player and one of the best that I have ever seen, if not the most gifted. It is not like he has a PhD in Ancient Near Eastern studies.

The notion he didnt train is just a lie. I can tell you for absolute fact that while he may not have trained with his team mates, he trained. eg. The preseason of 85 i think it was, he didnt do a session with the boys until the camp that they had in Anglesea which from memory was in late Feb. There was a little bit of chatter that Gazza hadnt trained, and guys were bitching. That was until he turned up at camp and won EVERY test. He won sprints. He won strength. The only thing he didnt win was a distance run but even then he was in the top 20. Turns out Gaz had been in Balnarring or somewhere up in NSW hunting pigs. With no gun. Just a big **** off knife and a dog. He was fit as ****. So yeah. The urban legend is he didnt train. He did, it was just different.

Yep, he was a different cat alright.

Trouble was, no-one was quite sure how to handle him because he simply didn't comply with the norm.

But boy, could he play footy.

I remember peopke turning up to the footy in their droves, regardless of their allegiances, simply because they wanted to see him play.

He did it like no-one else before, or since.

I put it all down to his theoretical religious beliefs - if you get my drift.

Insulting. Having faith does no way imply he should be perfect. His way of putting it into practice might sit uncomfortably with you, but it was real in 89 when he was on the rails, and real when he was off the rails 10 years later. What got him through the darkest period of his life was his faith, as he has described openly.
Who knows where he would be today without it.
There is a an excellent interview with Sam Newman where Gary Jnr talks about this topic.

Aren't they all like that? :)

No, whether that is a question or a statement. Who are we to judge?

The notion he didnt train is just a lie. I can tell you for absolute fact that while he may not have trained with his team mates, he trained. eg. The preseason of 85 i think it was, he didnt do a session with the boys until the camp that they had in Anglesea which from memory was in late Feb. There was a little bit of chatter that Gazza hadnt trained, and guys were bitching. That was until he turned up at camp and won EVERY test. He won sprints. He won strength. The only thing he didnt win was a distance run but even then he was in the top 20. Turns out Gaz had been in Balnarring or somewhere up in NSW hunting pigs. With no gun. Just a big **** off knife and a dog. He was fit as ****. So yeah. The urban legend is he didnt train. He did, it was just different.

Well mate - it comes down to who you believe

Malcolm Blight was on Mike Sheahans show - and Sheahan asked him about Abletts training etc - and Blight said - i think it was in his 1st year - or early years - that he had meetings with Ablett - and threatened to sack him - for continually missing training sessions during the year

I dont care how good he was ( and he was fantastic) hes totally ruined it and blemished it with that tragic incident- Polly Farmer summed it up best - Karl Langdon interviewed him on the TV - and asked Polly a direct question - Do you feel sorry for Ablett - and Polly said ( and i will never forget it ) - Sure i feel sorry for Gary - but i feel alot sorrier for the girl whose dead

When i think of Geelong champions- i dont even think of Ablett Snr - i think of blokes like Joel Selwood and Jimmy Bartel - who are both champions on and off the field

Malcolm Blight was on Mike Sheahans show - and Sheahan asked him about Abletts training etc - and Blight said - i think it was in his 1st year - or early years - that he had meetings with Ablett - and threatened to sack him - for continually missing training sessions during the year

I dont care how good he was ( and he was fantastic) hes totally ruined it and blemished it with that tragic incident- Polly Farmer summed it up best - Karl Langdon interviewed him on the TV - and asked Polly a direct question - Do you feel sorry for Ablett - and Polly said ( and i will never forget it ) - Sure i feel sorry for Gary - but i feel alot sorrier for the girl whose dead

When i think of Geelong champions- i dont even think of Ablett Snr - i think of blokes like Joel Selwood and Jimmy Bartel - who are both champions on and off the field

I remember hearing an interview with Gordon Hynes on ABC radio. He was actually offered the coaching job at Geelong but turned it down because he didn't like special treatment for individuals.

Devine took the job.

My understanding with Blight is that it was very much PRE-season training Ablett didn't always do, and that was before Blight. I recall reading the other players all gave a cheer when he was present at Blight's first ever training session after taking the job.

Like all things, the legend reads better than reality, so that's what people want to believe. It's interesting that Tommy Hafey - not a coach who tolerated a lack of fitness easily - to my knowledge never said one word against Ablett. So there's that as well.

Two coaches did not get along with Ablett - Devine (after his God comments) and Ayres. As far as I'm aware Hafey and Blight had no issues and it was reflected in his football.

Seems a good time to post this now that he has a book coming out.
Just need some feedback please on this short video. It runs for 10 minutes and it is highlights from Gary's 93 season. I am trying to keep it as short as possible but there are some marks and goals in there that I think could still be cut out in order to keep it flowing.

Have compiled most of his work in the 80's, along with seasons 90, 91, 92 but any feedback on which plays I should include or not include would be helpful.

All rubbish, scrub them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back