Opinion Gary Ablett Senior

Remove this Banner Ad

What?

It was simply an acknowledgement that the poster had expressed his thoughts in a concise manner, whether or not I agreed with his sentiment.

The concise nature of that post would then suggest either some personal exposure to such things or some sort of medical expertise re drugs/addiction, hence my follow up question to you.

Nothing meant by it otherwise and it was certainly not meant in poor taste.

Last edited:

geez this thread got derailed

there's always someone isn't there

It got derailed by someone talking loosely about the facts relating to Alisha Horan's death, defending Ablett in the process.

It's part of my somewhat annoying but conscientious approach to factual posting I guess, particularly with such a sensitive issue.

It is otherwise amusing/ironic however to see that picture with Snr holding a Bible though; a document nobody is allowed to alter even one word.

Last edited:
One thing I found somewhat contradictory was a comment Gary snr made in relation to being idolised above the team and the undue pressure it placed on him - not for his own career, since yes he was always a standout to a ridiculous degree by media hyperbole but for what he said about Gary jr having the same unfair adulation heaped upon him at GC to the extent that he might not enjoy his footy as much. Unless I'm mistaken, Gary jr chose to leave one of the strongest and most even teams of the modern era whereby any of up to a dozen players could be considered as important to the team structure as Gary, to go to a newly established team of kids for a ridiculous amount of money. You may not have chosen the spotlight to be squarely focused on you dad, but your son knew exactly what he was in for and took it voluntarily.

The concise nature of that post would then suggest either some personal exposure to such things or some sort of medical expertise re drugs/addiction, hence my follow up question to you.

Nothing meant by it otherwise and it was certainly not meant in poor taste.

Cool. No offence taken.

I've had considerable exposure to depression extremely close to home, but I won't present myself as having any medical expertise in that field, drugs or addiction. Lets just say I'm street-wise with depression, and have seen first hand the depths to which it can drag some people.

Depression is an insidious affliction, and there's no certainty about how any one person will cope with it, or the mechanisms they will use to do so.

Those that don't cope simply collapse.

when it comes to the great man
it is hard to argue with

althou hawk fans would argue lethal leigh was the great man.

but even god himself knows g ablett reins supreme

:)

My opinion of Matthews will always be negated by his cowardly hit on Bruns.

Says a lot about the way he went about playing the game, although he at least had the guts, with the wisdom of age, to admit he was little more than a thug

My opinion of Matthews will always be negated by his cowardly hit on Bruns.

Says a lot about the way he went about playing the game, although he at least had the guts, with the wisdom of age, to admit he was little more than a thug

It was a different era, different standards. He kept all his indiscretions on the field, unlike some.

It was a different era, different standards. He kept all his indiscretions on the field, unlike some.

He may have done, but cowardice doesn't change with era's or standards. Plenty of other guys back then played hard, often dirty, but without lowering themselves to the depths Matthews plunged that day.

Anyhow, it's an argument for another day, and I'm derailing the thread. This one is about Gary Ablett Senior.

He may have done, but cowardice doesn't change with era's or standards. Plenty of other guys back then played hard, often dirty, but without lowering themselves to the depths Matthews plunged that day. .

And plenty didn't. Different era, if you watch the game there were something like 10 reports in that game alone(including one on Ablett) which would be unheard of in today's footy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And plenty didn't. Different era, if you watch the game there were something like 10 reports in that game alone(including one on Ablett) which would be unheard of in today's footy.

It was most certainly a different era, but even in the day of hard, dirty football Matthew's vicious, unprovoked king hit on a guy innocently running by shocked the footy world.

These days they call it a Coward Punch.

It was most certainly a different era, but even in the day of hard, dirty football Matthew's vicious, unprovoked king hit on a guy innocently running by shocked the footy world.

The biggest shock was that charges were laid, although later overturned. There was nothing singular in actually striking a player on the field, that had happened before.

These days they call it a Coward Punch.

A coward's punch refers to street violence, which this was not. The context is important here.

The biggest shock was that charges were laid, although later overturned. There was nothing singular in actually striking a player on the field, that had happened before.

A coward's punch refers to street violence, which this was not. The context is important here.
you mean the context of clocking a bloke from behind and smashing his jaw to pieces… with or without due cause. Im not defending Bruns to that point, he was thuggish too - but context?

Yeah…. context…. spare me. Chicken s**t is still chicken s**t.

GO Catters

you mean the context of clocking a bloke from behind and smashing his jaw to pieces… with or without due cause. Im not defending Bruns to that point, he was thuggish too - but context?

It looked like he was hit from the side, but I meant it was within the context of a football game and not an act of drunken street violence.

People were shocked because striking a player, unprovoked, from behind, wasn't the 'norm' of the day, and in doing so, Matthews showed the streak that ran through him.

The setting doesn't change the intent, result or cowardice of the action. It's still a dog act, the lowest of the low.

Anyhow, your username and spirited defense of the guy shows you hold him in high regard. That's your right.

I don't, and I suspect we could debate it until the cows come home, but as previously mentioned, this discussion is taking the thread off topic.

It looked like he was hit from the side, but I meant it was within the context of a football game and not an act of drunken street violence.

Thug acts don't change because of a white line. Its a game. A very passionate one loved and breathed by many - that does not allow that type of act in either environment and the defence of it due to its location is disgusting.

Anyway, Matthews could not have done that to GAS as he was God...
Go Catters

I wonder how John Greening, Ian Aitken or John Sommerville would digest this sort of remark….it was pure luck that the king-hit on Bruns didn't have more dire consequences, though they were bad enough.The three I mentioned never played again….the direct result of king hits. One nearly died….

King hits were always a dog act and always will be. Both on and off the field. I admired Mathews as a footballer, he was a great player….but he he has carried this act as a burden ever since, and he deeply regrets it. In some way trying to mitigate is clueless, and Mathews himself (to his credit) has never tried to do so.

Thug acts don't change because of a white line. Its a game. A very passionate one loved and breathed by many - that does not allow that type of act in either environment and the defence of it due to its location is disgusting.

Go Catters

Apparently standing off to one side when you king hit someone is the differential between it being a dog act and excusable :rolleyes:

I still view it as the lowest act of all time, followed by Lockett's dirty hit on Caven.

Anyhow, I digress........

People were shocked because striking a player, unprovoked, from behind, wasn't the 'norm' of the day

Yes it was, it happened very often during that era. Matthews copped his fair share as well

Thug acts don't change because of a white line

I cited the context of a football game to distinguish between football violence and coward punches. There is an much greater element of risk in street violence that we didn't see in football violence, so to put the two on the same level would be wrong.

Take a look at Clarkson's hit on Aitken…its horrendous…...…there's no footage of the Greening king hit as far as I know, though O'Dea was vilified for it and quite rightly so. Greening's life was in the balance for some time.

No-one saw the hit on Sommerville….just Duncan Wright standing hands on hips next to the unconscious player crumpled on the ground…it was an ugly sight.

.not sure how long Wright played after this….he's been a sniper his whole career.

Yes it was, it happened very often during that era. Matthews copped his fair share as well

I cited the context of a football game to distinguish between football violence and coward punches. There is an much greater element of risk in street violence that we didn't see in football violence, so to put the two on the same level would be wrong.

I don't see how, in the moment, a footballer getting punched to the head forcefully, whilst unawares, is any less violent, dangerous, or cowardly, other than that there are no concrete surfaces on which to strike his head when he collapses.

Take a look at Clarkson's hit on Aitken…its horrendous…...…there's no footage of the Greening king hit as far as I know, though O'Dea was vilified for it and quite rightly so. Greening's life was in the balance for some time.

No-one saw the hit on Sommerville….just Duncan Wright standing hands on hips next to the unconscious player crumpled on the ground…it was an ugly sight.

.not sure how long Wright played after this….he's been a sniper his whole career.

Clarkson's hit on Aitken summarised him perfectly, and the midget still has anger issues.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back