Gary Rohan

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really hope he can actually add some possessions to his game as well being constructively critical. 9 is a tad too low but if he is playing in defence you got to defend first.

Great game and he does look the guy to shut down Brooost. Quick enough and strong enough with the right height to negate the aerial stuff. He on Brooost and Rampe on that tosser gunston could be decisive going foward.

Does Shaw now go forward and play lock down small forward on someone and run up and down a wing?

Playing anyone whose name is not Nick Smith on Luke Breust is a mistake. He's the best small defender we have, the best in the league and just because Breust beat him on the weekend doesn't mean a change in match up has to happen. It's not like Breust kicked 10, he kicked 3 and beat Smith in a few decisive one on ones, but he wasn't running rampant for 4 full quarters.

And at this stage, Rohan is playing on 6th best forwards. He spent much of the game on the weekend playing on Will Langford and Isaac Smith. That's his role in the side right now. The club isn't going to play him on the best small forward in the league in a few months time.

Rhyce Shaw comes straight back into defence and Rohan probably ends up as the sub for finals, if we have a fully fit list.

Rohan could replace Laidler , Shaw goes back to his role. Both Rohan and Laidler are same height /weight and both don't get a heap of the Footy but Gary has far more upside with his pace/leap and tackling and being new to his role ( not bagging Laidler one bit as he has been a great get ).
I get where you're coming from Punts, but I don't think I agree.

Laidler was let down by the midfield against the Hawks. It's not every day he'll be asked to chase the Forward hard back into their 50 as the ball goes sailing into open space. Teddy, Smithy & Reg all had an off night and no-one was backing each other up as much as we usually like to see. Teddy in particular was all over the shop for some reason I thought.

Laids will be fine in the right situation against the right opponent with the right support. It'd be like putting Benny in as Ruckman and saying because he didn't do well he should be dropped IMO. Laids does what he does well and would do that better than Rohan IMO. Rohan is more your Shaw type replacement for mine. Hard running defender that can lay a great tackle but still be quite damaging in an offensive drive fwd.

Then again, who do you push out if you want Rohan back? Reid? So our defence looks like Reg, Teddy, Smith, Mal (loose man), Shaw, Laidler, Rohan?

I like Rohan down back. He's had a great few weeks, and I really hope he can keep it going into the finals.

I get where you're coming from Punts, but I don't think I agree.

Laidler was let down by the midfield against the Hawks. It's not every day he'll be asked to chase the Forward hard back into their 50 as the ball goes sailing into open space. Teddy, Smithy & Reg all had an off night and no-one was backing each other up as much as we usually like to see. Teddy in particular was all over the shop for some reason I thought.

Laids will be fine in the right situation against the right opponent with the right support. It'd be like putting Benny in as Ruckman and saying because he didn't do well he should be dropped IMO. Laids does what he does well and would do that better than Rohan IMO. Rohan is more your Shaw type replacement for mine. Hard running defender that can lay a great tackle but still be quite damaging in an offensive drive fwd.

Then again, who do you push out if you want Rohan back? Reid? So our defence looks like Reg, Teddy, Smith, Mal (loose man), Shaw, Laidler, Rohan?
I don't think Punts was suggesting he get dropped due to form. It's just that if we want both Shaw and Rohan playing in defence then Laidler is the obvious choice to make way. Otherwise one of Shaw/Rohan has to play forward.

That is an impressive stat..... but not enough to convince me of his worth

Hard man to please. As fast as Jetta is, he isn't as fast as a nicely delivered kick, which he has been doing plenty of.

He is getting a lot more ball on the HBF and wing, so to expect i50s AND goals is a bit much. He has been found out since 2012, defenders corral him instead of trying to stick a tackle and let him take them on.

On the topic of Rohan, I haven't seen him play much in the ressies, but his speed can be a massive bonus coming out of the 50.

That is an impressive stat..... but not enough to convince me of his worth

We weren't discussing Jetta's worth it was about Rohan taking Jetta's role, you think Rohan will do better than him in that role? Jetta has had more inside 50's than Rohan has had possessions. Their is room for both players as they are both quality, our success has been because the coaching staff find perfect roles for players, Jettas holding his own. Im not dismissing your views but I just don't understand why you think Jetta is not worthy?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Methinks Rohan has found his home. If Laidler being omitted for Shaw doesn't say that, I don't know what does. In time, Rohan will get more possies, but yeah, welcome home Gazza.

We weren't discussing Jetta's worth it was about Rohan taking Jetta's role, you think Rohan will do better than him in that role? Jetta has had more inside 50's than Rohan has had possessions. Their is room for both players as they are both quality, our success has been because the coaching staff find perfect roles for players, Jettas holding his own. Im not dismissing your views but I just don't understand why you think Jetta is not worthy?

I meant "worthy of a place in our midfield". Just doesn't seem interested in the tough stuff.... tackles..... contested possessions etc.
Give me 6 + 1 players across the midfield band that are gonna contest, tackle, pressure the opposition cos as it stands, that manic swarming we have been renowned for is not gonna happen

jetta is still being coached/mentored atm. he hasn't been running as much, but thats due to opposition coaches negating his strengths defensively. he's since modified his game and is spotting up targets with a kick, and has been quite successful as his stats suggest. if his opponent lapses he can still provide the run and carry, but if they tag him then he can continue to provide effective delivery to the forwards. he's not at his 2012 form, but he's providing us with enough at this point.

I meant "worthy of a place in our midfield". Just doesn't seem interested in the tough stuff.... tackles..... contested possessions etc.
Give me 6 + 1 players across the midfield band that are gonna contest, tackle, pressure the opposition cos as it stands, that manic swarming we have been renowned for is not gonna happen

To be fair I think Jetta puts in the effort but he's just not built to be great in this area. On the plus side his body shape gives him other gifts which few if any other players in our best 22 possess. The best we can expect from Jets is to just keep making the efforts, but we can't be surprised when he misses tackles or gets bumped off the ball.

To be fair I think Jetta puts in the effort but he's just not built to be great in this area. On the plus side his body shape gives him other gifts which few if any other players in our best 22 possess. The best we can expect from Jets is to just keep making the efforts, but we can't be surprised when he misses tackles or gets bumped off the ball.
exactly. he isn't built for it, he's better of trying to corral, but he does get sucked in to a bit of ball candy a little to easily.

exactly. he isn't built for it, he's better of trying to corral, but he does get sucked in to a bit of ball candy a little to easily.

True, he just needs use his pace for pressuring the opposition ball carrier and force them to dispose of the footy quicker than they'd like to without getting sucked in to making a tackle so that he can move on to the next bloke.

I just said that I would love to see Rohan get an opportunity in that position.... and IMO Jetta, whilst having some wonderful skills, lacks the essential ingredients of the midfield that I would like us to field

I love watching Jetta at full flight he is one of my favourite players but I don't subscribe to ANY player being too slight to tackle, he's not that small 6ft tall and is listed as 78kgs, Id guess a couple more than that..

Tackling is about technique and intent and yes at times he doesn't show enough. I've seen him tackle with intent and he is good, Im not talking as good as a few others on our list but he can tackle. Its mindset, you have to get a bit of mongrel about you enjoy hitting your opponent.
I think Jetta tries to create more so tackling is the second option at times whether its from instruction or not I don't know. Ive also seen him put his head over the ball plenty of times but yes also at times take the soft option but he is not alone. What he and others need to do is 'finish' the tackle but the games so fast these days you end up out of the contest and also these days you seem to be allowed to just throw the ball away, maybe that's what's going through their minds? Its funny how even the slightest change of interpretation has unexpected knock on effects.

Wingmen never used to be classed as midfielders yet some want him to play like a bullocking one, he's going ok all our players have areas to improve.

Last edited:
I love watching Jetta at full flight he is one of my favourite players but I don't subscribe to ANY player being too slight to tackle, he's not that small 6ft tall and is listed as 78kgs, Id guess a couple more than that..

Who? Jetta is 5'9"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back