Arts & Humanities GD Cricket thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Another story actually, one of my mates in Perth was kicked out of an ODI against NZ - was there with a group and had a kiwi mate next to him. They were basically giving a bit of banter to each other, my mate may have mentioned something about sheep sh@ggers ... Some bloke a few rows back complained, and out he went... Doesn't take much in Perth though, seen guys being kicked out for starting a wave or making a beer snake which really is pretty harmless.

At the recent MCG 20/20, guy got thrown out for drinking beer out of his shoe (he did do it 4-5 times though). At least with the wave or beer snake there's the tiniest chance that someone else could get the tiniest bit hurt, not sure what the danger to others is with drinking out of a show though. Apart from it being pretty rank.

No doubt an unpopular opinion, but to me Michael Clarke is on the nose. Seeing the Australian cricket captain (the man with the second most important job in the country) douche around wearing ghey designer sunglasses, with a popped collar drinking coffee in hipster cafes flashing tough stickers just doesn't sit well. AB, Steve Waugh, Tubby he ain't. And the whole "get ready to have a broken arm" gate - seeing the scrawny man child trying to be all bad ass - well its kind of cringeworthy.

He may be a hipster douche, but is the best captain we've had since Tubby and fitness prevailing easily our best bat.

WHY THE SELECTORS INSIST ON HIM PLAYING MICKEY MOUSE PYJAMA CRICKET WHEN HE'S GOT A F**KED BACK IS BEYOND BELIEF!!!!!!!

He may be a hipster douche, but is the best captain we've had since Tubby and fitness prevailing easily our best bat.

WHY THE SELECTORS INSIST ON HIM PLAYING MICKEY MOUSE PYJAMA CRICKET WHEN HE'S GOT A F**KED BACK IS BEYOND BELIEF!!!!!!!

Yep, agree with all of that 100%. I do wish that Clarke would just retire from ODIs himself though, and concentrate purely on tests for the remainder of his career. I assume/hope he will do so after the world cup, which I think Brian Lara also suggested recently.

Went the day before! and as of course there is no cover at the WACA - was burnt to a crisp and fairly hungover/dehydrated - so gave that day a miss

Barely got to the Noel Gallagher concert at the Concert Hall that night!
haha....my mate went the day after Gilly went nuts and sat in the temporary stand with no shade near the scoreboard and it was near on 40 degrees that day.

Yeah its like that most days.. i remember the bottom of a plastic cup of beer i had melting on the fence rail as i sat against the fence last summer at the Ashes Test - i think it was about 42 that day! Pretty much most days at the WACA though

Yeah its like that most days.. i remember the bottom of a plastic cup of beer i had melting on the fence rail as i sat against the fence last summer at the Ashes Test - i think it was about 42 that day! Pretty much most days at the WACA though

It was 42 degrees in the shade wasn't it?

Had seats in the Northern Perimeter one day right against the fence.

Felt like 50.
The metal fence makes the heat worse.

Best part about it used to be the 90s...we used to train there once/twice a week, and getting used to the place we found a little "hole" in the back of the indoor centre that we used frequently to get to the cricket/footy that was played there...just pick your moment and you're in!

Times and my size has changed though...alas.
Also used to be able to get a mate to walk into Trinity College next door and throw a bag of grog over the fence, voila :)

But yeah, terrible for viewing if you're there the whole day and its 40 ... Battle to get through the day

De Villiers + Amla was next level

In was just pure

Ah yes that was dubbed the 'grand final' of test cricket, where master tactician Mickey Arthur decided to rest Pattinson and Siddle and injected the lethal firebrands of John Hastings and Mitchell Starc and played Nathan Lyon on a wicket that resembled Tonkin Hwy.

I think everyone's a-hole was red raw after what Amla and de Villiers did to us that day.

It was the most drunk I've ever been at the cricket, and the most Ive ever spent...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Two more unpopular opinions:

1) The WACA is a baking s**t hole. Horrible ground. No shade. Sterile atmosphere. Big high metal fences - there's no intimacy between the spectators and action. Its time for a housing development. Would rather watch matches at Lilac Hill - at least there would be a better atmosphere.

2) The size of the bats these days is f***ing ridiculous. They mask player's true abilities. Aaron Finch is a joke of a cricketer. Give me a Gray Nicholls scoop, but him against Greg Chappell and he'd play like Chris Martin. 9/10 shots he attempts are nowhere near the middle. Edit: As I speak he gets out hooking a dolly.

3) Raise the stitches on the ball 2mm. Give the bowlers a break FFS.

First test predictions?

This is what I'd pick...

Warner
Rogers
Khawaja
Clarke (if unfit, Chris Lynn)
Smith
Marsh
Haddin (if unfit, Hartley or Paine)
Johnson
Harris
Hazelwood
Lyon

Siddle if Harris not fit.

The selectors won't do this though.

Chris Lynn isn't playing at all till January and I can't see Usman getting picked.

The rest of the team is pretty close. Really just comes to Siddle v Hazlewood.

3 and 4 is a lottery but almost certain Watson will get one of those spots.

Richardson can bowl, but he disappoints with the main aim of bowling - taking wickets. his domestic one day record is good but that is all.... from a technical point of view he hasn't got a great run up. it's got a bit of doug bollinger about it. very bustling... but his last few strides are beautiful. got the "rock back", hits the crease hard, comes over the top and in general it's a great delivery action. but it needs more than that to be a good bowler. has loads of potential.

shouldn't be playing international cricket yet. needs time to find his feet at state level first and has been thrust through the ranks which is a bit weird given we have plenty of other blokes who have earned a shot.
Small problem with Richo playing at state level: it'd mean going back to play with the Deadbacks: surely one of the more soul destroying punishments in Australian sport. GWS will beat Melbourne in an AFL grand final before SA wins another Sheffield Shield......

He's had to carry the national team in recent years when no one else could find a run so he's okay by me. Great tactician too. Pretty tired of hearing flogs get so upset about what he does off the cricket pitch.
Yep: I reckon he's still got a few credits in the bank from his awesome batting throughout most of his career. The only question is, can that hamstring hold up: if not, then maybe it's time to pull the pin. But if he's injury free for the Ashes next year, he must lead our Ashes defence.

Small problem with Richo playing at state level: it'd mean going back to play with the Deadbacks: surely one of the more soul destroying punishments in Australian sport. GWS will beat Melbourne in an AFL grand final before SA wins another Sheffield Shield......
And the deadest of deadbacks is the Australian coach..Go figure..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back