GDFL Season 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks very much for the reply, Well I'll be moving later in the week to the suburb of Armstrong Creek.. not too sure what clubs are around there.

I'm pretty big on the fitness standards which would be the main thing dragging me away from the GDFL but at the same time i'd like to play some senior football which in all honesty i don't think i have the ability at the moment for say GFL.

moment*

Thanks very much for the reply, Well I'll be moving later in the week to the suburb of Armstrong Creek.. not too sure what clubs are around there.

I'm pretty big on the fitness standards which would be the main thing dragging me away from the GDFL but at the same time i'd like to play some senior football which in all honesty i don't think i have the ability at the movement for say GFL.

Well you have belmont 5 minutes away.
Thomson and east geelong 10 minutes away
Geelong west 15-20
North geelong 20ish
Bellposthill 15-20

Winch, anakie, inverliegh, banno, weribee, corio prob a little too far.

If you're after fitness, bell post hill are coached by a personal trainer and have been the benchmark for a few years now.

Have to agree with this. Fitness and professionalism 2nd to none

Well you have belmont 5 minutes away.
Thomson and east geelong 10 minutes away
Geelong west 15-20
North geelong 20ish
Bellposthill 15-20

Winch, anakie, inverliegh, banno, weribee, corio prob a little too far.

Have to agree with this. Fitness and professionalism 2nd to none
Yep by far the fittest,most dominant and professional side, it will be interesting to see them under Stoofa?
Also to see them go without Whitney, Bacely and McNamara.

Very early and tough to call, anyone willing to voice there thoughts?
Coach of the year?
Rookie of the year?
Best and fairest?

The bloke seems like he's not one to shop himself around and by the sounds of it seems pretty honest of himself and where he's at with his footy... Maybe if he had contacts in the area he wouldn't have to come on here and suss out the clubs...
Different subject.
What's with GDFL giving free membership to all GDFL junior teams?
Is this a comeback at AFL Barwon for the divisional leagues decision?

Who benefits from this decision? Because once they do it, there'll be no turning back, parents will expect it forever. They are bound by this decision forever, regardless that they say it's a trial.
Surely $100 a season isn't a lot to pay. They aren't doing it out of kindness.

Different subject.

Who benefits from this decision? Because once they do it, there'll be no turning back, parents will expect it forever. They are bound by this decision forever, regardless that they say it's a trial.
$100 a season is good value but if you have, say, three kids playing juniors then it becomes a lot of money to some.

Different subject.

It's purely to get more numbers involved at a junior level.

Each year the GDFL allocates a certain amount of $$ to each club to help upgrade facilities, equipment etc, not to spend on player payments.

Rather than allocate this money for upgrades, equipment, why not put it into junior registration?

With so many clubs from all leagues coming from similar areas, it's purely just a way of getting that little bit in front on rival leagues.

As an example having seven teams associated with the northern suburbs area is astounding: BPH, Bell Park, Nth Geel, Nth Shore, Corio, Lara, and Anakie are all trying to survive on limited numbers of kids.

If the GDFL can help offset the cost of playing to these kids then surely it has to be a win for the GDFL clubs if it entices kids to play for these teams!

Different subject.

Not sustainable

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Different subject.

Surely $100 a season isn't a lot to pay. They aren't doing it out of kindness.[/QUOT

The league aren't covering all junior memberships just a limited number of Auskick and net set go for each club. A good investment in every clubs junior programs all the same

Last edited:
The league aren't covering all junior memberships just a limited number of Auskick and net set go for each club. A good investment in every clubs junior programs all the same[/QUOTE
$80k is nothing for this league.

Very sustainable.
like everything in the GDFL, don't have to work for it just have someone pay for it. 15 years ago St Marys had no juniors and they worked hard to have one of the biggest programs in the region. Now the clubs that have nothing want to piggy back of their hard work

like everything in the GDFL, don't have to work for it just have someone pay for it. 15 years ago St Marys had no juniors and they worked hard to have one of the biggest programs in the region. Now the clubs that have nothing want to piggy back of their hard work
Of who's hard work, St Mary's? How and why would a GDFL club piggy back of St Mary's?

The league aren't covering all junior memberships just a limited number of Auskick and net set go for each club. A good investment in every clubs junior programs all the same
Read the article. Also paying for 240 u14 and u 16 players.

It's purely to get more numbers involved at a junior level.

Each year the GDFL allocates a certain amount of $$ to each club to help upgrade facilities, equipment etc, not to spend on player payments.

Rather than allocate this money for upgrades, equipment, why not put it into junior registration?

With so many clubs from all leagues coming from similar areas, it's purely just a way of getting that little bit in front on rival leagues.

As an example having seven teams associated with the northern suburbs area is astounding: BPH, Bell Park, Nth Geel, Nth Shore, Corio, Lara, and Anakie are all trying to survive on limited numbers of kids.

If the GDFL can help offset the cost of playing to these kids then surely it has to be a win for the GDFL clubs if it entices kids to play for these teams!
Its not about rival leagues, we are talking about kids here. And those leagues in juniors aren't GFL, BFL OR GDFL, they are divisions. Eg Portarlington won the GF in div 3 last year, playing teams such as Corio, Winchelsea, Anakie, St Joeys etc etc. Newcomb were in Div 4 GF vs St Marys. Its just GDFL VS AFL BARWON.

Read the article. Also paying for 240 u14 and u 16 players.

My apologies footyman my response was based on news I heard from the delegates meeting before the article came out. Good on the GDFL for actively supporting their own clubs junior programs as opposed to AFL Barwon trying to force their member clubs into a direction they really don't want to go!

Different subject.

If afl Barwon are fair dinkum about promotion/relegation start from juniors. its not just a problem at 1 or 2 gdfl clubs, its the whole league. does ne club hav a full junior program? id b surprised if more than 2-3 out of 12 do. n u got marys n newtown with 3 u16 teams while our league wuld struggle to have 3 u16 teams between us.

Cap the big clubs at 2 sides per age. Share the kids. Gives small clubs a chance to breed some 1 pointers as well or they will be stuck in div 4 forever. Has to happen or ull hav teams winning flags but not even meeting promotion criteria.

My apologies footyman my response was based on news I heard from the delegates meeting before the article came out. Good on the GDFL for actively supporting their own clubs junior programs as opposed to AFL Barwon trying to force their member clubs into a direction they really don't want to go!
I don't think you quite understand how junior footy and colts works in this region. There aren't GDFL, BFL AND GFL Juniors, they are all graded, and in divisions, so they are all AFL Barwon. Saving Thomson, for example by giving free memberships, will kill off Newcomb, how is that helping a clubs junior program, and kids in general. Its just pigheaded by the GDFL. They are trying to make a point, yes, but at the expense of kids footy.

I don't think you quite understand how junior footy and colts works in this region. There aren't GDFL, BFL AND GFL Juniors, they are all graded, and in divisions, so they are all AFL Barwon. Saving Thomson, for example by giving free memberships, will kill off Newcomb, how is that helping a clubs junior program, and kids in general. Its just pigheaded by the GDFL. They are trying to make a point, yes, but at the expense of kids footy.
That's right, but who are they affiliated with? Their senior clubs who are with the GDFL!

And when things get ugly, who cops the blame? That's right, their senior clubs who are within the GDFL!

And who do they pay their membership to? Thats right, their senior clubs who are with the GDFL!

So yes they play under a structure governed by AFL Barwon, but are still run by their senior GDFL club, so maybe you don't really understand how this all works. It's the GDFL looking after their own so good on them!

That's right, but who are they affiliated with? Their senior clubs who are with the GDFL!

And when things get ugly, who cops the blame? That's right, their senior clubs who are within the GDFL!

And who do they pay their membership to? Thats right, their senior clubs who are with the GDFL!

So yes they play under a structure governed by AFL Barwon, but are still run by their senior GDFL club, so maybe you don't really understand how this all works. It's the GDFL looking after their own so good on them!
They rarely even ever play on the same day, or the same ground as their senior teams. Your only happy with this because your club will get a nice fat cheque off the GDFL to cover memberships, and you won't have to do a thing. And in 2 years time when your teams playing in AFL Barwon Div3 or Div4 it will be all in vain anyway. So you don't care that this idea will cost some other clubs there junior teams this season???

They rarely even ever play on the same day, or the same ground as their senior teams. Your only happy with this because your club will get a nice fat cheque off the GDFL to cover memberships, and you won't have to do a thing. And in 2 years time when your teams playing in AFL Barwon Div3 or Div4 it will be all in vain anyway. So you don't care that this idea will cost some other clubs there junior teams this season???
Sounds like a jealousy thing to me!
If this means that the GDFL and their junior teams survive and prosper then that's a good thing.
At least there putting something back into local grass roots football.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back