Geelong 6 - What would you do?

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 5, 2008
Katherin
AFL Club
Collingwood
There has been a lot of talk about Geelong's champion veterans coming up to the end of the season. All 30 plus, uncontracted and with varying levels of form.

Probably not going to play finals and have a good chance to have a goodbye in front of their adoring crowd at Kardinia. But, with their skill and experience they could play on either at Geelong or somewhere else.

So, what would you do with each of
Stevie Johnson, Matthew Stokes, Jimmy Bartel, Andrew Mackie, Corey Enright and James Kelly?

Play on, retire or trade?

really interesting question, and you can see that if they hang on they actually go through a longer decline and that has to of course be weighed up against looking after players who brought them long term success. I think they should go down the path of the Saints. Get 3 picks inside top 20 for next 3 seasons and build the side around Taylor, Selwood and Hawkins who will be late 20's by then and they are good to go. They need to sign Motlop and Cockatoo on long term dollars now on the money they can save on the veterans wage and tell Johnson, Enright and Kelly the time is up now and offer Mackie as free agency for first round pick. Hang onto Bartel who is better for the culture to bring in to the new kids for the next 2 years.

Kelly and Stokes done
Bartel one more
Mackie one more
If Enright retires keep Stevie if he doesn't keep him for one more and look trade Stevie.

Need to offload 3 for sure

Stevie Johnson - keep, still is putting up quality numbers really
Matthew Stokes - cooked
Jimmy Bartel - almost cooked - delist. Get the feeling he will drop off fast. He is literally one headknock from being medically unfit to play
Andrew Mackie - one more year
Corey Enright - cooked
James Kelly - cooked

Johnson - 1-2 more or trade if anyone bites (unlikely)
Bartel - 1 more
Mackie - 1 more
Enright - Push him to retire but if he is dead set on another year as a club legend I'd give it to him
Stokes - Forced redundancy
Kelly - Forced redundancy

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So, what would you do with each of
Stevie Johnson, Matthew Stokes, Jimmy Bartel, Andrew Mackie, Corey Enright and James Kelly?

Play on, retire or trade?

Johnson - one more year
Stokes - retire
Kelly - retire
Bartel - one more year
Mackie - one more year
Enright - up to him,but I think he'll retire

Johnson is probably the only one i would be keen on keeping.

Kelly and Stokes should go. Enright will probably voluntarily pull the pin.

I really want to see Thurlow, Bews, and Kolo progress strongly next season, and I can't see how that happens if Mackie and Bartel are still there.

Interesting to see others thoughts.

SJ is being vastly overrated here. Yeah he knows how to get in the right position to kick goals but he's become more and more undisciplined and defensively poor which is why he's very unlikely to be kept. Enright is still a very, very good player and it'll be up to him whether he stays or goes. Kelly's probably the harshest call since he's a team player and still going ok but he'll be moved on. Bartel struggles when asked to play a vital role but is easily good enough to impact games as a role player so he'll be kept. Mackies younger and playing better than most so he'll be kept too. Unfortunately Stokes is cooked.

So that's:

SJ - gone.
Stokes - gone.
Kelly - harsh but gone.
Enright - up to him.
Bartel - stay.
Mackie - stay.

Along with Rivers and mcintosh that's 5-6 of the over 30s on our list gone.

Trade Johnson? No one is giving up anything more than pick 70 odd for someone who will be lucky to play out next year
Essendon would be all over him with pick 30.

Mackie - 1 year
Stokes - 1 year
SJ - thailand
kelly - thailand
Bartel - 1 year
enright - thailand

Yep you just need an objective viewpoint on that. and how is developing a side for the next 5 years for sustained success considered to be a "write off"- some have it so good for so long...

I am not interested in following a club that writes off half a decade in the name of some long term dream. They need to continue to develop the kids and aim to make the finals every year.

really interesting question, and you can see that if they hang on they actually go through a longer decline and that has to of course be weighed up against looking after players who brought them long term success. I think they should go down the path of the Saints. Get 3 picks inside top 20 for next 3 seasons and build the side around Taylor, Selwood and Hawkins who will be late 20's by then and they are good to go. They need to sign Motlop and Cockatoo on long term dollars now on the money they can save on the veterans wage and tell Johnson, Enright and Kelly the time is up now and offer Mackie as free agency for first round pick. Hang onto Bartel who is better for the culture to bring in to the new kids for the next 2 years.

Those guys already are late 20's. Selwood and Hawkins are 27 and Taylor is 29. In three years time they'll be 30 and 32.

Stokes and Kelly to retire - enforced by the club if needed.
Stevie J can go another year - just dont think it makes sense for Geelong to keep him. Really dont see him as the type of veteran who makes those around him better. He could be used as tradebait to a team looking for some experience in their forward line, giving the cats a youngster or extra draft pick.

Mackie should go another year or 2.

I'm not as convinced as others about Bartel being able to continue - missing half a season at 31 doesnt bode well for the future. (but i was equally concerned about Swan 12 months ago). There is a decision to be made and it wouldnt suprise me either way.

Enright - i think he can go on. I think he should go on - he can still play a role and his leadership down back could be very important for a team that is in transition. Im just not sure what Geelong thinks about it, or what Enright will want to dom

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back