Remove this Banner Ad

TheJimmyCartel

Club Legend
Jan 21, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Spurs
I'm not angry or upset about this. I just don't understand it. Six spots free already. Simpson and Cowan looking doubtful. Where is the need to push him out? Pay him peanuts and play him in the VFL if that's the way things go in 2016.
You feel like they must be pretty confident of some stuff going on in the background to make this call. Especially after not retiring/trading any seniors last year, there must be a plan in play. At least I hope so.

xtatik222k

Club Legend
May 24, 2008
australia
AFL Club
Geelong
Wrong decision, I think. He's not the player he was but as has been pointed out repeatedly in this thread was statistically one of the better forwards in the competition this season. Hard to see who he would be keeping out of the side, and we're desperately short of attacking options. It might also be concern over his fitness, but there'd be something particularly perverse in the current administration retiring a player because they're concerned about his durability.
Indeed. Just like Chapman, whose failing body just went to show that he should have stayed at Geelong, where injured list-cloggers belong :D

I'm not angry or upset about this. I just don't understand it. Six spots free already. Simpson and Cowan looking doubtful. Where is the need to push him out? Pay him peanuts and play him in the VFL if that's the way things go in 2016.
He might have a better cash deal offered that Geelong want to give him?

Catatonic Shock

Premiership Player
Sep 7, 2013
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong

6 spots free, possibly more, but it seems likely we may only have 2 live picks anyway.
3/4 spots taken from FA or trade targets (Danger, Selwood, Hendo and maybe Berger), 1 or 2 from rookie upgrades leaves us with no more than 1 or 2 live picks, and in the "Wells sweet spot".

TheJimmyCartel

Club Legend
Jan 21, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Spurs
nothing more meglomanic than a coach who wants to dump existings players because they arent his so he can build a team himself to claim his own legacy.
It probably runs a little deeper than that. Considering it's also not solely CS's decision.

Mac Cat

Debutant
Sep 29, 2008
Newcastle
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Cooks Hill FC, Newcastle Jets
The fact he didn't run at all from August to March had nothing to do with that. You do remember him missing the finals and preseason with the stress fracture
That's my point really. The club will be aware of what maintenance will be required to get him up and firing for another year. Stress fractures are one thing, but dodgy backs and ankles and the accumulated wear and tear of 13 odd years of elite level contact sport is another. I'll miss Stevie hugely, but its a decision based not only on his form at the back end of the season. I assume one reason Bartel stays and Stevie doesnt (if it's true) is that Bartels body is up for and and Stevie's might not be.

It would bite any which way you put it. Keep them for another year, means large turnover again next year. Plus we have a number of players on injury list, that decisions will need to be made upon.

You can't keep 32-34 year olds on the list with a big injury list as well. Something had to give.
Why? Is it not about the output that the 32-34 year old can give, rather than just an age bracket?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whit3y

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 14, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Sheff Wed
6 spots free, possibly more, but it seems likely we may only have 2 live picks anyway.
3/4 spots taken from FA or trade targets (Danger, Selwood, Hendo and maybe Berger), 1 or 2 from rookie upgrades leaves us with no more than 1 or 2 live picks, and in the "Wells sweet spot".

2 live picks in any draft is shithouse imo

image.jpg

Rookie upgrades would surprise too.

Jun 2, 2006
Point Cook
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Supersonics, Greenbay
Why? Is it not about the output that the 32-34 year old can give, rather than just an age bracket?

But you can't keep putting transition off, those highlighted to move into those positions will simply move on without any chances.

I agree SJ would have another year in him, but that would mean another big transition next year, which would be tough going.

Jun 2, 2006
Point Cook
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Supersonics, Greenbay
That's my point really. The club will be aware of what maintenance will be required to get him up and firing for another year. Stress fractures are one thing, but dodgy backs and ankles and the accumulated wear and tear of 13 odd years of elite level contact sport is another. I'll miss Stevie hugely, but its a decision based not only on his form at the back end of the season. I assume one reason Bartel stays and Stevie doesnt (if it's true) is that Bartels body is up for and and Stevie's might not be.

Great post

Jun 2, 2006
Point Cook
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Supersonics, Greenbay
I really hope this isn't true, the stats say he is still ELITE as a small/medium forward. He would still be a really dangerous forward next year and a combo of him and Menz would be a treat to watch. Dumb decision if true.

Though if rumour is true and he was offered more years/$$ at another club??

Scorpio

Club Legend
May 28, 2004
AFL Club
Geelong
I reckon I could go back to the thread on Chappy leaving 2 years ago, and find very similar reactions in there to what I'm seeing here.

I think it's the right call. He plays well in patches but it's not enough, and I can't see him improving or even maintaining the same output next year when his body is another year older.

It sucks but we all knew this day would come eventually for these players.

Disappointing if true. Not at all our worst performing veteran this year.

Agree 100%. I tell you, if all these veterans are put out to pasture and we don't secure any big name recruits, heads should roll.

Tysio

Cancelled
Jan 2, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
Absolutely pathetic if it is to happen, which seems likely as anything. Easy for me to be seem "biased" because of my dp but he's surely more than capable to be play a full year in the forward pocket, I don't think we lose out much at all on developing someone else. I can't think of many match winners we have, he is one, and potentially our most likely. One of the very few players in the game averaging 20+ disposals and 1.5 goals a game which matches up with some of the best players in the competition. We've had plenty of retirements already announced, what's the rush? I hope it's not another Paul Chapman scenario. I think his influence over players like Menzel, Gregson, and McCarthy would be priceless. They have no real role model. He's had an indifferent season, but I feel like we always say that, and that sums him up. He has probably been one of our best veterans throughout the course of the year. Annoying that Bartel is a certainty to play on, and his form of late has been terrible (playing out of position in defence), and that Enright gets to make his mind up. Whilst he's been solid, he's conceded plenty of goals of late, Adcock kicked 4 on him, Cyril kicked 6 on him. I love both Bartel and Enright, but I'll call it exactly as I see it. All I'll say is good luck to us kicking a decent score next year

catman54

Senior List
Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Perhaps rumors are true that Stevie has ben offered a deal that includes one year playing and the next two as assistant coach.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back