News CONFIRMED: Stevie J to play farewell game on Saturday

Remove this Banner Ad

the great war wasnt all Napoleans decision either
Points for not invoking Hitler, but not sure invoking one of history's most debated issues really helps your point here.

Perhaps rumors are true that Stevie has ben offered a deal that includes one year playing and the next two as assistant coach.

This is probably why we should all take a deep breath and wait to see what facts emerge before forming opinions, casting aspersions, etc

Tbh I thought Stevie would of been given another year, he's still very useful around goals, but only if he was anchored in the forward 50. He honestly can't help himself though.

The amount of times he tried something this year, and couldn't execute correctly, greatly outweighed his brilliance for mine. The "stevie j way" was becoming more and more of a liability, then it ever was in the past.

Yes he was still effective and yes he could still do the impossible but he ignored the simple things way too often this year for mine.

This is why, even though I thought we could get another year out of him, I'm not as confused as many seem to be.

He's a champion of the club and game, but it had to come to an end at some point.

There's no guarantee that SJ will be fit all season either. In fact, the chance of that happening is extremely slim
In comparison to the rest of our lisy, Stevie J's body has held up reasonably well. In fact he's barely missed any games recently through injury, his main problem has been suspension.

Tbh I thought Stevie would of been given another year, he's still very useful around goals, but only if he was anchored in the forward 50. He honestly can't help himself though.

The amount of times he tried something this year, and couldn't execute correctly, greatly outweighed his brilliance for mine. The "stevie j way" was becoming more and more of a liability, then it ever was in the past.

Yes he was still effective and yes he could still do the impossible but he ignored the simple things way too often this year for mine.

This is why, even though I thought we could get another year out of him, I'm not as confused as many seem to be.

He's a champion of the club and game, but it had to come to an end at some point.
go look at the clanger stats vs the amount of goal involvements johnson has been involved in and it might change your mind dramatically?

In comparison to the rest of our lisy, Stevie J's body has held up reasonably well. In fact he's barely missed any games recently through injury, his main problem has been suspension.

Pre-season he was injured and whilst had possessions, didn't have much impact.

Plus we don't know how hard it is to get him up every week.

go look at the clanger stats vs the amount of goal involvements johnson has been involved in and it might change your mind dramatically?

Are you asking me or telling me?

And clangers are indicative of a direct turnover. Does not include ineffective kicks, hospital handballs, missed shepherds, lack of pressure, etc

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's no guarantee that SJ will be fit all season either. In fact, the chance of that happening is extremely slim
um doesnt the same apply to bartel who has been injured far more this season? not to mention all our peak age players like Duncan, Stanley, Clark, Vardy, Menzel, simpson,Cowan who have been far less effective in getting on the park than Johnson and then there is S Selwood who has been injured for two years. cant apply different rules to different players.

um doesnt the same apply to bartel who has been injured far more this season? not to mention all our peak age players like Duncan, Stanley, Clark, Vardy, Menzel, simpson,Cowan who have been far less effective in getting on the park than Johnson and then there is S Selwood who has been injured for two years. cant apply different rules to different players.

I agree, and the Bartel question is an interesting one. I fear whenever he's in the backline.

There's no answer other than list needed to be managed now, where they needed to call on the over thirties now, and not all next year.

This is probably why we should all take a deep breath and wait to see what facts emerge before forming opinions, casting aspersions, etc
giphy.gif

I agree, and the Bartel question is an interesting one. I fear whenever he's in the backline.

There's no answer other than list needed to be managed now, where they needed to call on the over thirties now, and not all next year.
with him thats 7 retirements this year. there are only 4 over thirties left. if you want to space the retirements out evenly then you would of kept another two on this year.

with him thats 7 retirements this year. there are only 4 over thirties left. if you want to space the retirements out evenly then you would of kept another two on this year.

Yep, but throw in decisions about the often injured, there's a couple more to that.

It's a risk, but what is the higher risk, an older player, or a young one that had injuries?

Yep, if they dump him then those making the decision need to be sacked as its detrimental to our chances next year seeing we appear to be making another push for a flag. We have obviously learned nothing from the way we treated our great players in the 90s despite the club saying they would never make the same mistake again.
Unless, of course, a) Stevie has chosen to take a better offer, or b) he's not going anywhere and everyone's jumping at shadows.

Sad if true, especially if he plays on elsewhere. Couldn't bare to see that

If you think about it rationally it's not surprising, if you look at who we've lost V who we're keeping

Mcintosh - Couldn't get on park
Hartman - Own decision
Blease - Own decision/not in best team
Stokes - Not in best team
Rivers - Dropped out of best team by the end of the year
Kelly - Arguably worst performing of over 30s in our best team, poor disposal

If they needed/wanted to get rid of one more their options would be
Mackie - Been solid in output this year, can play HBF/BP which is an area we're short in with our youth
Bartel - Injury hit this year but has had some BOG through the midfield
Lonergan - Contracted. Would almost say he would've been the one to go given the Henderson deal if he wasn't
Enright - Still playing well enough to go on next year, will make his own decision. Once again BP/HBF area we're short in

That leaves Johnson. I personally think we should keep him for another year but all well.
I'd also say this tells us more about Motlop and Enright than Dangerfield

Remove this Banner Ad

Back