List Mgmt. Geelong at the 2012 AFL National Draft (selections Nos. 16, 77 and 92)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
How can any of you rate Dawson Simpson ?

I am just no seeing it, I understand he has been injured but please he is not AFL standard.

Please list some strenths of his game ? His strenths are in reality average by AFL standards

I am just no seeing it, I understand he has been injured but please he is not AFL standard.

Please list some strenths of his game ? His strenths are in reality average by AFL standards
His strengths are that he's big... oh and strong, that's a strength right? If he was 2 inches shorter we'd all have been saying for the last 2 years to delist him. I still live in hope, but this year will definitely be his last if he stays injury free and doesn't come on.

I sat the seat behind Duncan kellaway @ VFL GF this year @ Ethihad and I heard him talking about Dawson can't get to the contests he struggles running end to end as much of the dinosaur rucks do.

It was interesting listening in.

I do think he does have some good qualities such as tap work & body positioning however marking and athleticism are average.

I am, however, expecting McIntosh and Rivers (if both fit) to play in round 1.

I think McIntosh is quite behind the others in regards to overall fitness as he really only began walking and running in the recent month.
To gain match fitness, he'd certainly have to be burning up the track...I'm expecting him to be in the side by rounds 4 or 5 after gaining his touch in the VFL first.

How can you say he's not AFL standard if he hasnt been able to proved it either way yet?
His strengths? Agility for his size, his bulk and ability to use his body positioning well, hes a good tap ruckman and a very good brut ruckman (Ottens type).
He can take a mark and kick a goal and is good below his knees.
Atleast give him an injury free year before putting the fork in.

must be tough for a very tall person who's around 110 kilo's to get back on their feet and upto AFL fitness standard.
I'm finding it bloody tough to even get back to normal fitness over the last month (after forgetting to watch what I eat for a little too long) and I'm only 5ft'11 let alone 7 foot.

Your spot on Senator, Simpson's best attribute is his deft taps at stoppages...his body positioning is excellent but probably nothing to be surprised about given his size but he definitely gives our mids first use of the footy just needs to spend all pre season running and working on his plyometrics to keep as agile as possible.

How can you say he's not AFL standard if he hasnt been able to proved it either way yet?
His strengths? Agility for his size, his bulk and ability to use his body positioning well, hes a good tap ruckman and a very good brut ruckman (Ottens type).
He can take a mark and kick a goal and is good below his knees.
Atleast give him an injury free year before putting the fork in.

No he is not agile and no he is not a " Very good brut ruckman".
I also do not believe he is good below his knees.
Like i said his strenths arnt anything special in comparison to AFL ruckman.

I'd love to see some draft camp results becuase he may have been agile back then
but he isnt now (injury toll). I think theres way to much love for him on this board and
the ruck position is going to continue to advance into your nic nat types.
Is it correct that ruckman cant touch eachother before the umpire throws up the ball
or is that only a NAB cup rule? because this hinders his ability to use his size and grunt significantly

I sat the seat behind Duncan kellaway @ VFL GF this year @ Ethihad and I heard him talking about Dawson can't get to the contests he struggles running end to end as much of the dinosaur rucks do.

It was interesting listening in.

I do think he does have some good qualities such as tap work & body positioning however marking and athleticism are average.

These are the key question marks over Simpson, particularly given that the new "throw up" rule will place a further premium on the ability to actually get to the startage.
He will have a good long crack in 2013 as our no.1 in the VFL to show he can dominate there and, assuming HMc's fitness, probably up to 1/3rd of a season in the 1sts to show at least some potential there. He hasn't shown either of these things so far.

Go back about 3 years and he went alright against Sandilands in Perth in maybe his second game. That's the one thing that sticks in my mind when weighing up his worth going forward.

Don't think he's been 100% fit since. Does look cumbersome and slow as treacle while gaining match fitness and did improve throughout the vfl finals series, can ruck and has reasonable foot skills but just needs a good run at it. Hopefully that's next year.

Will probably never be the greatest around the ground but if he can give our mids first use of the pill we know we have the players to cash in. And that will be crucial if we are to contend in 2013.

Go back about 3 years and he went alright against Sandilands in Perth in maybe his second game. That's the one thing that sticks in my mind when weighing up his worth going forward.

Don't think he's been 100% fit since. Does look cumbersome and slow as treacle while gaining match fitness and did improve throughout the vfl finals series, can ruck and has reasonable foot skills but just needs a good run at it. Hopefully that's next year.

Will probably never be the greatest around the ground but if he can give our mids first use of the pill we know we have the players to cash in. And that will be crucial if we are to contend in 2013.

I just don't see him playing much in the ones in 2013, he can't play in the same team as HMc.

BTW - I just want to go on record as saying I'm a fan of Thurlow.

Just don't want anyone thinking I'm not. :D

Also, I wanted to add that I had great fun yesterday reading people's opinions. It was refreshing to see people play the ball, not the man (which I've seen happen before around BF).

All played well. :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also, I wanted to add that I had great fun yesterday reading people's opinions. It was refreshing to see people play the ball, not the man (which I've seen happen before around BF).

All played well. :thumbsu:

shocked-face.jpg

People playing the man on Bigfooty?

No way!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...to-hit-the-ground-running-20121127-2a5pw.html

Thurlow to be getting # 40 it appears...

Hartman to 36 as well then I guess...

GO Catters
Good on the kid for wanting to play round one.
Very ambitious, and unlikely, but it shows he is no shy and retiring type.

Funny too, to me at least, that 188-190cm is considered medium height these days.
I am pretty sure* that is taller than Polly Farmer, Dermot Brereton and a host of other KPP from the past

* I am not sure at all ;)

Funny too, to me at least, that 188-190cm is considered medium height these days.
I am pretty sure* that is taller than Polly Farmer, Dermot Brereton and a host of other KPP from the past

* I am not sure at all ;)

Why?
If they get a shot in the NAB cup (as they should, provided no injuries) and play well then I say they get a shot.
Isnt that what this side is all about anyway? Playing kids if they deserve their spot, well if either of these 2 (or both) deserve a spot, then its theirs IMO.
I want Caddy to force his way in and I'd love to see Thurlow come out and play well and get a game round 1.

Edit: So true about height! I'm 30 (like literally tomorrow) and 6'2" and when I was playing grade footy I was a key position player (even played time in the ruck but that was more because I could jump), once I got to U18s I was a "tallish" flank/winger, now I'd be a medium midfielder!
Redonkeyless!
I actually think thats why we are seeing these mids around the 6'2" mark are such good marks over their head, at grade level they are considered a tall so learn that craft and are expected to be good overhead marks so when they do make it into the AFL they are mid sized players who can mark overhead.

Thurlow is in the old scale 6'2"4/5, so almost 6'3", that's 190cms.
Hartman, I've seen 188 and 189, so 6'2"1/2-6'2"3/4, both proportionately ripping specimens.

Being very young, could find another 2-3 cms, Ideal sizes for the modern day player.

Thurlow likens his playing style to Brendan Goddard, high possession gatherer and strong mark, his build is a mirror image.

Polly was 6'3".

Hartman, I've seen 188 and 189, so 6'2"1/2-6'2"3/4, both proportionately ripping specimens.

Being very young, could find another 2-3 cms, Ideal sizes for the modern day player.

Thurlow likens his playing style to Brendan Goddard, high possession gatherer and strong mark, his build is a mirror image.

Polly was 6'3".

Both are versatile types who , like Duncan, could transition into the midfield rotation eventually. We have a wealth of 180- 184cm mids so it was always on the cards we would go taller this draft. JC at his prime is a great example of what a 190cm bull can add to your midfield. With guys like Judd , Watson , Kennedy, Griffin and Pendles and kids generally getting taller it will be important to be able to match it on the height and strength scale.

Polly was 6'3".

Times have changed, eh, he's almost as tall as Polly, and taller than Nicholls, McKenzie and Morrow, other leading ruckmen of the era; and we're talking about him as a midfielder.

Why?
If they get a shot in the NAB cup (as they should, provided no injuries) and play well then I say they get a shot.
Isnt that what this side is all about anyway? Playing kids if they deserve their spot, well if either of these 2 (or both) deserve a spot, then its theirs IMO.
I want Caddy to force his way in and I'd love to see Thurlow come out and play well and get a game round 1.

I agree with all of this, completely - but I still think it is unlikely :)

Just because he will still be finding his feet, and there are a bunch of 2nd, 3rd and 4th year youngsters also busting a gut to make that team.

But I am onboard with the "if they deserve then give" philosophy. We need to trust our young players to step up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back