Preview Geelong at the 2014 AFL National Draft, Thursday 27 November

Status
Not open for further replies.
Geelong2008Logo1.jpg

Where and when: Thursday 27 November, Gold Coast.

Picks: 10, 47, 55, 60*

AFL: Key Draft Dates | Draft Hub

Fairfax prospect profiles*: Tall Defenders | Medium Defenders | Tall Forwards | Medium Midfielders | Medium Forwards | Short People | Ruckmen

Phantom Drafts: Cal Twomey’s more-a-sort-of-power-ranking October Phantom | Paige Cardona | Knightmare | Chris25

Prospect Highlights: Ekul M

*Subject to change based on further delistings.

*Rather than link to both the AFL draft camp profiles and these I've just linked to the Fairfax ones, as as far as I can tell these are just the profiles from the AFL side combined with a blurb from the relevant U18 coach/team manager.

Expand to view full preview:
One of Geelong’s most pressing need going into the trade period was for class and depth in midfield and that’s only intensified with the departure of Allen Christensen. Luckily enough, there should be a few players available at Pick 10 who should help satisfy that need. Lachie Weller, the Tasmanian-cum-Queenslander brother of St Kilda’s Maverick, is a predominantly outside player who nonetheless has the ability to not only win his own ball but also to use his pace to clear stoppages easily. It seems unlikely he’ll last until Pick 10, with Collingwood, GWS and Gold Coast all surely being tempted to take a punt on him. If he does land at Geelong, he could make a huge difference - either by providing more power at the stoppages or the outside run and carry we need to make up some of the huge possession deficits we’ve been wracking up recently.

In the likely event Weller is gone, Jayden Laverde looks an interesting option. As his name suggests, he’s got a nice mix of old world glamour and new world bogan in his play. He’s a powerful athlete who looks good (despite his size) in traffic, and is really strong overhead. Although his decision making and disposal are good, they’re perhaps not quite at the level you’d expect from a top 10 pick. As the debate in the linked draft profile suggests, the question mark over him is whether or not he can - as many juniors have before him - turn into a full time midfielder rather than remain a (good) positional player. I have to admit I like the look of him but at the same time he just doesn’t strike me as a Wells type (which of course means he’ll get picked up by Geelong in a month). Jordan DeGoey ticks similar boxes in that he’s a nice kick who also has a really strong inside game - interestingly enough, he’s said that is something he’s consciously built up over the last two years after entering the U16s as an outside (self-described as ’soft’) player.

Jarrod Pickett is the other name being thrown up, particularly given the trade to Pick 10 has vaulted Geelong above Fremantle and West Coast. Taken at face value, Pickett is the stereotypical indigenous Western Australian - he’s agile, a good kick, and really really quick. He also produced some outstanding individual efforts in an otherwise ordinary WA team including a 21 possession, five clearances and three goal effort against eventual champs SA. I do wonder though if, as so often happens with indigenous kids, the perception of him is getting warped by the colour of his skin and the ease with which lazy cliches can be slapped on him. I see a player who is an outstanding athlete, looks good in traffic and has the composure (and core strength?) to ride tackles for a second and hit a target rather than firing off a wild handpass when he feels contact. I also see a player who makes blistering runs along the wing and then fires off a long, technically good drop punt with seemingly little regard for where his teammates actually are in the forward 50 (so he’ll fit right in at Geelong, I hear you say). I’m also a little wary given that so many of the players drafted in the first round as complementary outside pieces have not necessarily lived up to their initial billing (hello there Gary Rohan and Lewis Jetta). So if he does end up at Geelong, I hope it’s in the belief he can be turned into the fully-rounded midfielder we so desperately need rather than as an outside wing.

Other midfield names to consider: Paul Ahern (BOY OH BOY WOWEE WELLSY LOVES HIS CALDER CANNONS FOOTY FACTORY PRODUCTS), Nakia Cockatoo (haven’t seen him play so won’t comment a great deal except to say guys who produce in games close to the draft, even if they haven’t played for the rest of the year, often shoot up the order) and Liam Duggan (a versatile half back you say? Feel I’ve heard that before in relation to Geelong and drafting).

The other possibility is that Geelong grabs one of the many key defenders being mooted as first round picks this year. A KPD in the first round has been the white whale of Bigfooty Cats draft discussion since 2010, and the recruiting of Rhys Stanley, the defection of Christensen and the glut of talls on the list seems to have made the acquisition of a key defender over a midfielder unlikely. However, Geelong did put in a bid on Swans Academy defender Abe Davis (admittedly with Pick 70), suggesting they see a need, and when gaming out possible draft scenario it’s hard not to think that the trade up to Pick 10 was designed to put Geelong in pole position to grab a player like Sam Durdin, Hugh Goddard or Caleb Marchbank. Goddard was a little underwhelming this year after a strong performance as a bottom ager and Marchbank feels like a bit of a reach at 10. Durdin could be real value, however. He’s tall enough to carry the ruck at junior level but at 197cm would play key position in the AFL. He’s a really strong mark who could potentially play at both ends, so feel free to insert your own jokes about Geelong’s ‘has to be above 190cm to get a gig’ revolution here.

The later rounds become more difficult to guess for obvious reasons, but also because this is a slightly unusual draft - despite winning the Championships, South Australia has very few prospects considered worthy of the Top 30 (and one of them, Oleg Markov, didn’t even play). This is because of size - many of their best players range from a marginal height in the 180cm range to down right tiny at sub 175cm. The poster boy for this is Caleb Daniel, who won All-Australian honours this year on the back of three games for SA in which he averaged 20 disposals at 92% efficiency. The usual cliche about short players is ‘that if he had an extra ten cm he’d be talked about as one of the best players in the draft’; the thing is, even if Daniels had that extra 10cm, he’d still be considered marginal. At 167cm he is tiny. But watching him play, it’s not that noticeable - yes he’s short, but at some point you accept that and don’t quibble over just how short. What is noticeable are his football skills - he can kick the ball a long way, he hits targets, he finds the footy, and he’s got great agility and skills in close. Could be a really damaging modern forward pocket - able to make something happen in a congested forward line but also comfortable pushing up the ground and delivering the ball well inside 50. Probably will go (if at all) in the rookie draft, but if we end up using Pick 60 I’d be happy with Daniel. Other players in a similar mould who we might look at it include Harrison Wigg, SA’s MVP, and the Teia Miles.

I’ll throw two more names out there to finish, because at this point it’s all extreme guess work. He’s a bit taller, and is getting talked up as being a likely pick in the 30s, but Jordan Cunico reminds me a bit of Josh Cowan (get your injury jokes in here, try and make sure the tone isn’t too bitter) - just comes across as a solid footballer whose game hasn’t quite matured sufficiently to put him in the upper ranks of the draft and who has an outstanding tank. If we want to rebuild midfield depth, Cunico is the type of player we should be targeting and hopefully acquiring. Keenan Ramsey (video of him as a bottom ager here) could be another who lasts to Pick 47. Cancer took one of his eyes at age two, but remarkably he’s thrived as a key defender for Port Adelaide and South Australia. Didn't really notice him in the SA games I watched, suggesting his rebound game could improve, but clearly reads the play well and is really strong overhead - what you want in a defender and adequate compensation I think for being 192cm.

Last edited by a moderator:

CatRiot

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
This thread is for people to list who we should pick in the 2014 National Draft - be specific which draft pick, player and why we should draft the player!

Currently we hold active picks 10, 47, 55 & 60.

Try to select one player per draft pick.

Last edited:

CatRiot

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Pick 14 - Nakia Cockatoo.
Despite suffering an injury for most of 2014, all reports after a strong draft combine performance indicates that Cockatoo has a great leap, exceptional pace and kicking. It is understood he is quite versatile and can play in the middle, as a third tall defender, or even as rotating forward. I understand He may need to develop his endurance if he is to play in the middle (beep test 13.2), but this result may be a function of the fact that he was injured and may not have had a preseason or steady training to lift it. At worst, I think Cockatoo will be like a Courtney Dempsey (Dons) if played down back, or he could be that explosive mid we have all been craving (Dangerfield type). Given that Bundy and Varcoe are on the depart, we need to inject some pace in the squad. He is also a versatile height of 188cm, and at 84kgs he may be able to play some senior footy in year 1. Given he has been training at NM, I could see them selecting him at pick 15 if we don't make the move first.

Pick 21 - Oscar McDonald.
In a draft year with a solid group of KPD types, it is likely that the top KPDs in Lever and Durdin will be gone by pick 8. Marchbank at 193cm,might be in range at pick 14, with his strength being his intercept marking. I think his style of footy would suit Geelong's attacking rebound defence, but I do think we already have a player in production like this being Kolojashnij. The next is Goddard, which may also be in range at pick 14. Goddard can play as a swingman and is a good size at 196cm and 93kgs. It is understood that he's best suited at FB, but at times this year he has been beaten by some of the top forwards. Then there is Oscar, also at 196cm and 88kgs, was named CHB in the TAC team of the Year in 2014, and also winning the TAC Cup coaches award with it. This kid doesn't have the profile of the above mentioned but he has taken all the big scalps by beating McCartin, Wright and Moore. He's a very effective shutdown defender, running 3secs in the 20m sprint and 10mins 30secs in the 3km time trial, indicating decent speed and endurance. He's quite an intelligent fellow also, and looms as great replacement for Lonergan. This might be a high pick for Oscar, but with the Doggies, Demons, Swans and Freo looking for KPDs this draft, I'd say he may be picked up somewhere bw 20 and 35. There are mixed reviews on whether Oscar can play offensively, but he is a strong contested mark, and apparently he can kick the ball hard and flat - so the attributes are there for an attacking KPD.

Pick 35 - Josh McGuinness
Josh is a tassie fellow, who made the All Australian U18 team as a back flanker. He stands at a versatile 189cm, but is a skinny type at 72kgs. He seems to have the football smarts to be an effective link-up defender that can accumulate possessions, averaging 20 odd disposals in the national championships for Tassie. He seems to be competitive at the contest and kind of reminds me of that Mackie or Thurlow type.

As the Cats have an ageing defence, my selection for this draft has a bias towards defenders.

Let's compare our draft selections with picks 14, 21 and 35.

Last edited:
I have no idea at all but I do know one thing, regardless of who we pick... People will question the decisions and declare Wells has stuffed up, before the kid even puts on a club polo

Chappycats

Club Legend
Sep 30, 2010
Cattery
AFL Club
Geelong
14 Goddard - KPD/KPF Good size and versatile, long term FB replacement.
21 Cockatoo - Big bodied explosive mid who can also play off HBF, could be an attacking weapon out of the backline or move into the Mids eventually.
35 Giles(traded to GWS) - No.1 ruck. We only have 2 genuine No.1's on the list and both are very injury prone. This is our biggest weakness imo. Giles may only be a B grader but that's an improvement on what we have currently and he is durable. Can play 70-80% as No.1 and can also play forward. Has probably at least 3 years left so we can look for more rucks next year. I reckon McIntosh will be gone after next year and also Dawson if he can't get himself right. If those 2 can actually get fit and stay fit then we have some competition for the ruck spot(hallelujah)and we can choose the form player of the 3 as opposed to last man standing.
ps. Blitz to train with the Backs over preseason and try and mould him into a CHB.

CatRiot

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
14 - Laverde
21 - Marchbank
35 - Blakely / McDonald
Like those selections, but think Laverde will be snapped up in the top 10. Also think Marchbank as top 20, Blakely top 30, and McDonald could be in range at that selection. I'd be happy if the above players slip to your predictions.

CatRiot

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
I have no idea at all but I do know one thing, regardless of who we pick... People will question the decisions and declare Wells has stuffed up, before the kid even puts on a club polo
This year may be a little different given we have some good picks at hand where we can select less speculative prospects.

This year may be a little different given we have some good picks at hand where we can select less speculative prospects.

You haven't been round here long enough yet.... no matter what happens... people will complain about something regardless
:D

Jagshemash

Team Captain
Aug 18, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
I try not to read up too much on the draftees anymore CatRiot...never get Wells' bloody picks right or even remotely close, even before I was on here. I was convinced we would take Gardiner last year and thought Lang was a plus 40 pick...shows what I know. I go in fully prepared for a come from the clouds selection from Wells.

I'm so split between whether we'll go KPD or mid with our first...

Oct 5, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
has to be a key defender, Only Hamling, Toohey, Kolodjashnij & Brown are left on the list. Taylor is the only one we can pencil in for season 2016 at this stage.
Hawthorn trumping us with Frawley may have also dealt our hand a little early this time around.

Then again, Christensen's loss has effectively taken us aback so who knows. Dangerfield is the one we'd really want but there will be 8 other clubs vying for his signature by this same time next year.

CatRiot

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
I try not to read up too much on the draftees anymore CatRiot...never get Wells' bloody picks right or even remotely close, even before I was on here. I was convinced we would take Gardiner last year and thought Lang was a plus 40 pick...shows what I know. I go in fully prepared for a come from the clouds selection from Wells.

I'm so split between whether we'll go KPD or mid with our first...

Aside from Heeney (Syd), Steele (GWS), Brayshaw, Petraccca, Weller and Blakely, I think the rest of the mids are a bit speculative as to whether they'll make it as an A-grader. Of the above mentioned, Blakely is probably the only one that will slip in our range of picks of 14 & 21.

PayFL

Team Captain
Aug 26, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
History has shown it tends to be one big lottery, excepting the top 5 picks.

Some teams are obviously better at picking stars than others, and Wells has been one of the best.

But in saying that, there is so much luck that goes into it, could seriously just pick a name out of the hat and roll with it

Jagshemash

Team Captain
Aug 18, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Aside from Heeney (Syd), Steele (GWS), Brayshaw, Petraccca, Weller and Blakely, I think the rest of the mids are a bit speculative as to whether they'll make it as an A-grader. Of the above mentioned, Blakely is probably the only one that will slip in our range of picks of 14 & 21.
From the very little I've read, I'd be happy with Goddard at 14 then Blakely at 21. Hopefully Blakely can be ready made like Dunstan last year.

Hugh Goddard looks pretty good OR - Oscar McDonald (liked the write up above^).
Do we go in with a need to get a big bodied Key back or get one in FA next year?

Weller sounds like a very good young player unsure if there at p14.

I think will get another pick once THunt gets traded and talk we were after newton (moonface) been quiet unsure whats going on there.

meto

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 3, 2008
south-east
AFL Club
Geelong
I really like Ed Vickers-Willis with P35 but he has shortened, I think he'll be gone by then, could be in the mix even at P21.
He's been absolutely outstanding for club, state, and nominated all-aust after a stellar rise from Vic Metro 'B' squad to the 'A' team.
Bog in the TAC grand final for Sandy Dragons against fancied Cannons.
Brilliant reader of play and great overhead, already 190cm and 84kg.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
As it stands....
Out: Burbs, Schroder,Stringer,AC,Varcoe (Probable 5)
IN: Clark,Blitz (3 picks)

But we have been linked to the Port kid Newton. So at this stage do sweat too much on having a 3rd pick

For mine we will pick two kids who we think will be at least partly mids , if not full time.

Like Weller for a while so that almost rules him out. Liked Degoey at the Champs so same.

As it stands....

But we have been linked to the Port kid Newton. So at this stage do sweat too much on having a 3rd pick

For mine we will pick two kids who we think will be at least partly mids , if not full time.

Like Weller for a while so that almost rules him out. Liked Degoey at the Champs so same.
Balme said Hunt likely hood will be gone maybe use that pick on newton?
I think we all agree we need 3 live picks one key back 2 mids types.

Two Planks

Norm Smith Medallist
May 14, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
Agree with Alkanphel, all picks must be midfielders to balance the list. Clark and Blicavs on and 5 midfielders or non kpp come off.

14. Nakia Cockatoo - can see him being the bolter this year like Bontempelli last year. May go inside 10.

21. Touk Miller - could start as a small goal kicking forward and move into the midfield like Stokes did.

35. Caleb Daniel - looked like a gun at the championships but height will allow him to drop. Could be best midfielder in the draft.

Mar 6, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
As it stands....

I think you'd better stop thinking about who we're going to get, Turbocat, if all you're doing is putting Wellsy off the good 'uns. How about deciding to like all the weaker players so we get a shot at some of the top shelf kids instead?

Mar 6, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
This discussion should have it's own field with odds.....

Odds determined by the likelihood of them being selected by Wells, which would kinda be like the top 50 in reverse :D

Then a competition to see who gets closest to Wells picks......:drunk:
I'll give a broad pick- some kid from country Geelong. A Falcons boy.
Wells might be getting a bit worried about the "go home" factor, though it doesn't seem to have worried him before. (Lol- and my idea worked well for Christensen, didn't it? :()

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back