Preview Geelong at the 2014 AFL National Draft, Thursday 27 November

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Smedts MkII, you're suggesting?
ha ha. It was exactly who I was thinking of when I typed it.
I like Picketts all round skills.
And I do like a guy that takes the play on. But my gut feel is that its his natural instinct is to do it as his first option.

I will chuck in my two bobs worth...
Luckily for me I have had a young lad from the Falcons seeing my daughter over the last 12 months....
He ranks Petracca No.1 by a mile... due to the fact he was physically a MAN... and he could actually play!!
As for the Falcon boys... Paddy from Jacko... and as for Goddard... He says there are a few in front of him..
The thing with some of these BIGs is they were MEN playing vs teenagers...
Won't happen in the AFL.. will be found out when they can't out muscle their opponents...
He reckons if we don't pick up Ahern we are crazy...
So for me... Paul Ahern.... fingers crossed he lasts till Pick 10

He is what we need, but it scares me off that he has said he will return to WA if he goes anywhere else. I would rather pick another kid then lose someone in 12 months time cause he missus mummy.

And that is a pretty big risk, especially for a top 10 pick.

Paul Ahern a classy type also looks pretty quick going to be tough choice at p10.
Was great at Keilor as a junior. Did not see a heap of him at the Jets, but from what I have seen he was impressive. Would not be upset to use p10 on him.

I haven't looked at all of the prospects yet.
But on face value, Ahern doesn't look like a top 10 pick.
He actually reminds me of Byrnes when he has the ball in traffic.

And I've got a silly question. By some miracle does someone know if he has big feet?
Because that ball drop is weird. He puts the ball way in front of himself and kicks it loopy.

Sometimes you see Kelly kick like that (with the right foot way out in front at the point of contact).

After watching a Jarrod Pickett highlights video over the weekend, I've decided he's exactly what we need. Given the loss of Christensen and Varcoe, and lack of a crumbing forward, I reckon he could slot into our best 22 from round 1.

I'm not sure I would like to see our pick 10 on a crumbling forward. Would rather see it used on a quality KPP or quality midfielder while we have the chance. Pick 10 would seem a waste on a small forward.

Pickett could be a good winger like the hill boys.

VC have got anything nice to say about the draft prospects:p.
so far billie and monty from your reviews:footy:.
lol. They are the only 2 I've looked at.
And Monty did make it to a very high level, so it's not a slur.

I'm kind of waiting for us to completely settle out list before I bother looking at them all.

But you know who I want Rocker? A mid that can handball.
And when I say can handball, I mean someone who is deadly like Mitchell.
jUST handball ?
What about kicking,marking,running,tackling.
Or a scarecrow that just handpasses:p.

Just messing with ya;).
Someone with clean ball skills like mitch would be awesome.

Pickett could be a good winger like the hill boys.

VC have got anything nice to say about the draft prospects:p.
so far billie and monty from your reviews:footy:.

He runs like the wind so I'd agree the Wing suits - plenty of time and space to crank up those wheels
He is a rare talent but inconsistent , maybe that will change.
If I were GWS with so many picks inside 10 I'd grab him , for us I think we will go for someone who is more consistent and a genuine mid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He runs like the wind so I'd agree the Wing suits - plenty of time and space to crank up those wheels
If I were GWS with so many picks inside 10 I'd grab him , for us I think we will go for someone who is more consistent and a genuine mid.

That would be my choice, I don't think we need an outside midget who can't kick.

Agreed a on a genuine mid.I think we have enough flexibility in our side another pure mid would be a good choice,but who knows who Wells will pick.

But you know who I want Rocker? A mid that can handball.
And when I say can handball, I mean someone who is deadly like Mitchell.

Gary junior was a brilliant handballer as a junior, wasn't he? That facet of his game has been dimmed by the brilliance of the rest of it, but when he started he had those really quick creative hands before the rest of it caught up.

Christensen was/is also a good handballer. I agree that it is a trait they should look for.

Can't believe we have to wait 5 weeks for the draft. There will be so much conjectureibfk.....Will we be able to last thru it?

These are the worst five weeks of the year. And every year after the draft I tell myself not to waste any time on this as I have zero Influence and never get anywhere near correct with the selections.

Zero chance he'll be available at p10. I think he's more of a tall forward than a ruckman. A bloke with his athleticism and foot skills at 203cm & 100kg doesn't come around very often. In fact, I expect him to be pick #1.

My hypothetical was IF, I feel we might not be able to justify picking him due to our trading in 2 ruck forwards...

I have to agree he seems a top 4 talent and being a forward makes him more appealing than a pure ruckman IMO.

GWS are probably the most likely with regards to needing a ruckman, just thought they might be full up on key forwards even with Boyd leaving. Grundy was rated as a top 5 in some parts before his draft, but like I said I think the slide was due to the pure ruckman thing.

The more I think about it the more it looks like both Goddard and durdin will be available at our pick.

I think laverde and weller will go to pies and GC.

Now there is talk of gws going for Pickett.

With durdin and Goddard on the table, I'd still go Goddard because he is better at stopping his opponent whilst also creating counter attacks, and has more runs on the board (with durdin having a poorer year with his best footy in the ruck, not KPD).

Weller or Goddard are the 2 I hope for.
Not enough love for Goddard here, imho. Ticks many boxes for what we could use. Maybe another Egan type. Nice left foot too.

From the little I've seen - Durdin or Ahern for me.

No way Picket - flashy little forward pocket with flight risk. No thankyou!

Weller - No way. Looks like a slightly faster Ryan Gamble.

Goddard? - Maybe. Looks a bit loose with the left foot. Big unit and its hard to judge how much advantage that gives him at juniors.

I've seen a heap of Caleb Daniel as the kid played for most of the year in the SANFL seniors. I may be biased given that he plays for my club, but jeez he's going to be good. I really hope that we can get him at #47.

From the little I've seen - Durdin or Ahern for me.

No way Picket - flashy little forward pocket with flight risk. No thankyou!

Weller - No way. Looks like a slightly faster Ryan Gamble.

Goddard? - Maybe. Looks a bit loose with the left foot. Big unit and its hard to judge how much advantage that gives him at juniors.

Yep agree, the only smokey I can see that I like is cockatoo

Not enough love for Goddard here, imho. Ticks many boxes for what we could use. Maybe another Egan type. Nice left foot too.

Nothing wrong with Goddard's video, does it all for me as a defensive tall and has all the required attributes including aggression, if it's a key back they're after I reckon he'd be the perfect Lonergan understudy.
If he's anything like Egan (less the foot) as some say?.... I'd take him in a heartbeat.
He does the switch forward 'ok' as well, I'd be happy if Wells picked him up.

Tom Lamb, in the mould of Bontempelli with awesome tank 9:45 3km was top ten, might now be underrated as he's drifted in the minds of some, attitude or something or other,... says who?
Huge upside despite the negatives thrown about.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back