Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

CatRiot

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
I would like a good mid like Weller at 10 (or Durdin/Goddard if Weller is gone), good clearance mid at 47, Drummond at 55, Newton at 60 and 73 on a decent player or DFA.
Are the Cats looking at Newton still? I didn't realise until now that he's been delisted.

CatRiot

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Could we still get him with Pick 47?

There is a bit of talk about him in other forums - i.e. Fremantle, Richmond, Bombers....

Does that now mean we can pick him up as a DFA? I'm somewhat at a loss as to the new system.
Well, as Newton decided to walk (as I understand the article), no.

Players delisted by a club are unrestricted free agents but a player who retires or delists himself is not eligible to be a free agent.

CatRiot

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Its just hard to say whether we can get him with pick 47... Not sure of the level of interest from other clubs and whether he could go sooner in the draft.

Well, as Newton decided to walk (as I understand the article), no.

Players delisted by a club are unrestricted free agents but a player who retires or delists himself is not eligible to be a free agent.
I think because he declined the contract from PA, he then has to go into the Draft.
Cheers Guys. If he's decided to leave if means another club has promised to draft him then. It seems Geelong and a few other clubs were into him, so it'll be interesting to see how it pans out.

Will he last until pick 55? I'd like to try my luck on Bampton lasting until pick #47.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cheers Guys. If he's decided to leave if means another club has promised to draft him then. It seems Geelong and a few other clubs were into him, so it'll be interesting to see how it pans out.

Will he last until pick 55? I'd like to try my luck on Bampton lasting until pick #47.
To be honest, I don't know anything about him.

Depending on who you talk to he is a talent but not talented enough when put side by side with the other Port mids.

Others have said he is a bit one-paced and just a solid citizen.

If he is more the latter I'd suggest we already have that.

But he did play well in the SANFL this year by all reports. You could probably do worse at 55 (or whatever our pick is).

CatRiot

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
What happens if Newton is drafted, but not happy with the club that selects him or the contract on offer?

Does that now mean we can pick him up as a DFA? I'm somewhat at a loss as to the new system.

No he was offered a contract and rejected it so cant be a dfa.has to go through the draft.

What happens if Newton is drafted, but not happy with the club that selects him or the contract on offer?

He can nominate his salary terms in nd/psd but other than that its whoever picks him up on those terms he has to play for.

Players get where they want to go now generally so if he wants us he will get it. He wouldnt have rejected port's offer without another club guaranteeing him they will draft him,hopefully we are the club involved that convinced him to do it.

Could he just nominate for the PSD rather than the ND or is that not allowed? I seem to remember there is a rule on that..

He can nominate psd only but hes more likely to get where he wants to go if he chooses ND-same thing jacobs did.

Cal Twomey has us taking Lever with 10

GEELONG
Pick 10:
If he's not snapped up early, there's a chance Jake Lever gets through a few spots and is available at the Cats' first pick. They chased James Frawley without success and Tom Lonergan and Jared Rivers both turned 30 this year. Lever, who missed the year after undergoing a knee reconstruction, has remained at the front of recruiters' minds through his dedicated approach to his rehabilitation.
Around the mark: Hugh Goddard, Caleb Marchbank, Paul Ahern

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-10-25/your-clubs-first-pick

Not sure about Lever bit undersized at 193cm and is coming off of a ACL

Cal Twomey has us taking Lever with 10

GEELONG
Pick 10:
If he's not snapped up early, there's a chance Jake Lever gets through a few spots and is available at the Cats' first pick. They chased James Frawley without success and Tom Lonergan and Jared Rivers both turned 30 this year. Lever, who missed the year after undergoing a knee reconstruction, has remained at the front of recruiters' minds through his dedicated approach to his rehabilitation.
Around the mark: Hugh Goddard, Caleb Marchbank, Paul Ahern

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-10-25/your-clubs-first-pick

Not sure about Lever bit undersized at 193cm and is coming off of a ACL

The GFC was not so concerned about trying to recruit an "undersized" player in Frawley at 193cm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back