Preview Geelong at the 2014 AFL National Draft, Thursday 27 November

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 12, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Stokes 30, delisted several, HMac likely in his last year, Enright, Lonergan, Stevie J all close to the end. If Vardy, Menzel, Dawson, and Cowan fail to come back from injury, we lose at least two at years end. Then Smedts and a few others are incredibly unproven.

We could cycle 10 players over the next two years. That would be half the list in a period of four years? Brutal.

This draft is pretty critical, not just pick 10, the lot of them I fear.

Daniel McL

Brownlow Medallist
May 21, 2014
ACT
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Sydney Sixers
I'm really not sold on Weller. I can't quite put my finger on why, but I reckon it's a combination of his size, and being too outside for my liking. But I probably have a tendency to prefer ball winners with size. Weller is icing, but we need more cake - we can't just rely on Jansen to save the day (sorry Daniel McL).

Why ever not? ;)

Disapoint ? My guess there will be plenty disapointed post draft..no matter who we pick.
Of all the guys in our "sphere" I'd be comfortable with pretty much all of them.

Obviously there are ones I'd prefer but overall I'd be happy with all of them except De Goey.

He really doesn't do it for me.

Can't put my finger on what it is but I know we discussed him earlier in the year and I mentioned to you that I didn't even notice him on the ground despite the possessions he got.

And that might be the problem I have. From what I saw of him there is no real "hurt" factor in his touches.

We can, I think, do better with that pick 10.

BigCat1

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
The Mighty Cats
Very interesting article from Emma Quayle. I reckon Peter Wright talk might start heading back up the charts again. She thinks he's the second best player after the Sydney kid whose already a father son pick. Better than Petracca, McCartin and Brayshaw
I really hope we get him

The other players that the AFL/Herald Sun have linked to us (Lever, Goddard, De Goey, Durdin, Marchbank) she had outside the top 10. This wan't he mock draft just her opinion if she was selecting the best available.

Quayle normally has a really good handle on the kids coming though (and she has, based on her phantom drafts, pretty good contacts within the industry).

What her list did show is that if we had kept 14 and 21 we could have done reasonably well out of this year's draft.

I hope Stanley works out but I really would have preferred it if we had offered 35 + Hunt to the Saints for him instead of 21.

vinum coupe

Cancelled
10k Posts Ruby Geelong Cats - Travis Varcoe 2012 Player Sponsor
Aug 4, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Aussie cricket team
Quayle normally has a really good handle on the kids coming though (and she has, based on her phantom drafts, pretty good contacts within the industry).

What her list did show is that if we had kept 14 and 21 we could have done reasonably well out of this year's draft.

I hope Stanley works out but I really would have preferred it if we had offered 35 + Hunt to the Saints for him instead of 21.
And this is where I am really torn.

If Stanley plays ruck and it works, a need gets filled.
But I really want a kpd ( lever, Goddard) and a mid forward ( garlett, ahern)

Picks 14 and 21 would have got us close to filling 2 voids.

And again, it's why I'm torn. I'm a bit confused as to what the club is doing.
Do they think Menzel and vardy will come good and blitz will work down back?

Huge gambles if so.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
Of all the guys in our "sphere" I'd be comfortable with pretty much all of them.

Obviously there are ones I'd prefer but overall I'd be happy with all of them except De Goey.

He really doesn't do it for me.

Can't put my finger on what it is but I know we discussed him earlier in the year and I mentioned to you that I didn't even notice him on the ground despite the possessions he got.

And that might be the problem I have. From what I saw of him there is no real "hurt" factor in his touches.

We can, I think, do better with that pick 10.

Well we all have our own likes I guess.

To me he has similar attributes of Caddy and Bartel. Same no but similar. The real issue is how to rate him or those around our pick. Its not like picking the fastest horse verses fastest horse , we have several different types and trying to balance need verse opitunity is quite difficult. DeGoey being considered for up to P5 shows how even it is for mine , even players like Ahern or Lever could go early or slip out to late teens. I guess Im saying I will try to be a little forgiving no matter who we pick , it will come down to personal opinion and taste. At this stage , Id probably favour others before him simply because I feel we can get players of his sort , close to his ability , later in the draft. Id rather try to get a player we rarely have a chance for . ie Wright , Durdin etc.

Having said that , DeGoey is a solid pick that would probably fit into that percentage group of R1 - inside ball winning mids , that have a higher percetage chance of success with ones pick.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong

Would they have traded for that? The Saints were all for this 3 in R1 mindset. I think there is no doubt some handy players at 21 , its another of those choices that we get to sit back and say "they should have" , I certainly feel like that with Hmac. So the next 3 years will tell I guess. IF Stanley plays and becomes a better player for us , no matter who gos at 21 , its mostly likely a win. If he is a role player , that struggles to hold a position.... I agree it will be a failed trade.

Last edited:
I have this feeling Wells will punt for Lever if he's available.

They well might be banking on one or more of Menzel, Cowan, Smedts, Stanley, Vardy and Blease making significant contributions in 2015, ( a reasonable possibility) and taking Lever/Goddard/Durdin to fill in one of the back line needs…

From reading, it seems like Lever is the whole package…on and off field…its just those knees…...

Do they think Menzel and vardy will come good
If the answer to that was no then they wouldn't still be here, same applies to Cowan.

The may very well end up wrong but they must be confident that will not be the case.

If the answer to that was no then they wouldn't still be here, same applies to Cowan.

The may very well end up wrong but they must be confident that will not be the case.

I think Cowan can make it but even if he does not - I just want him toget the chance to show his wares injury free so we can see what he can really do.

Still think he's good enough..
Go Catters

CatRiot

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
I am becoming a fan of both 21yo defender prospects that have nominated for this year's Draft.

Hartley is big, can take marks, has a good kick to find team-mates 50m+ away.

Newman seems to be able to accumulate from the back half, and is a good size for a HBF. Newman comes from the Frankston VFL team, which has produced some decent ready-made HBFs recently in Baguely and Hibberd, both for the Bombers.

I think Cowan can make it but even if he does not - I just want him toget the chance to show his wares injury free so we can see what he can really do.

Still think he's good enough..
Go Catters
Hey the club website put up a video showing snippets of the start of preseason...

Found out what Cowan looks like;)

Needs a haircut;)

I too would like to see what he's got to offer injury free. Seems a waste for him to end up delisted/retired because he can't get on the park.

Hopefully 2015 is the dawn of a new era in the GFC where we don't get anywhere near as many injuries, especially to the same players.

Somehow I get the feeling i'll be disappointed in that regard:(

Hey the club website put up a video showing snippets of the start of preseason...

Found out what Cowan looks like;)

Needs a haircut;)

I too would like to see what he's got to offer injury free. Seems a waste for him to end up delisted/retired because he can't get on the park.

Hopefully 2015 is the dawn of a new era in the GFC where we don't get anywhere near as many injuries, especially to the same players.

Somehow I get the feeling i'll be disappointed in that regard:(

Reminds me of an old school footy player. Lingy, Rooke with the hair…. (and I know thats not REAL old school….)

just happy to see him able to have a crack….

GO Catters

vinum coupe

Cancelled
Aug 4, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Aussie cricket team
Slightly off topic.
*waits for ban*

Who's son was coming up through TAC or something?
Winty? Witsend?

I forget. And where is he at football wise?

Oct 2, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Found some stats on the Drafts/Trading board on 40 of the draft hopefuls.

Stats don't tell the whole story of course but they can't be ignored just as readily.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/2014-afl-draft-top-40-player-rankings.1082167/

Connor Blakely nearly 19 already, good decision maker, decent sized inside mid, made for particularly good reading.

Some highly rated guys don't read as well, whereas some lesser lights jump off the page.

Nov 7, 2010
308 Negra Arroyo Lane Albuquerque New Mexico
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
WADA
I have this feeling Wells will punt for Lever if he's available.

They well might be banking on one or more of Menzel, Cowan, Smedts, Stanley, Vardy and Blease making significant contributions in 2015, ( a reasonable possibility) and taking Lever/Goddard/Durdin to fill in one of the back line needs…

From reading, it seems like Lever is the whole package…on and off field…its just those knees…...
For me a lot would depend on how he did the ACL if it was basically a no contact injury I'd see it as a huge risk,then again if it was in a pack with someone falling across the leg or similar scenario then yes I'd snap him up.WE have traded two pretty good picks for one at 10 more or less, hope they make the right call.

vinum coupe

Cancelled
Aug 4, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Aussie cricket team
Really don't think clubs care too much about acl's anymore.
A bit sure. Just a tad more than an ankle or a shoulder.

GHS33

Club Legend
Feb 28, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Geelong
In her latest podcast Paige Cardona had us taking either De Goey or Wright at pick 10. She said we're keen on Gore at 47 and expected us to have a look at Bampton and Bailey Dale with our last two picks.

*Disclaimer: it was more her opinion rather than what she'd heard from club sources. Although, she did say she'd heard we've been linked to Gore, and I have seen a lot (4+) phantom drafts with us taking Bailey Dale at pick 60.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back