Preview Geelong at the 2014 AFL National Draft, Thursday 27 November

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
In her latest podcast Paige Cardona had us taking either De Goey or Wright at pick 10. She said we're keen on Gore at 47 and expected us to have a look at Bampton and Bailey Dale with our last two picks.

*Disclaimer: it was more her opinion rather than what she'd heard from club sources. Although, she did say she'd heard we've been linked to Gore, and I have seen a lot (4+) phantom drafts with us taking Bailey Dale at pick 60.
Gore getting to us at 47 would be a win imo.

The kid can play, and his last game in the Champs against Metro displayed that.

21 touches (11 contested), 8 clearances, 7 tackles and 8 inside 50s.

I reckon he is a bit better than 47 but if we got him for that - bargain.

Another South Australian player being under-appreciated this year.

Hmph.

In her latest podcast Paige Cardona had us taking either De Goey or Wright at pick 10. She said we're keen on Gore at 47 and expected us to have a look at Bampton and Bailey Dale with our last two picks.

*Disclaimer: it was more her opinion rather than what she'd heard from club sources. Although, she did say she'd heard we've been linked to Gore, and I have seen a lot (4+) phantom drafts with us taking Bailey Dale at pick 60.
Both address the need for speed.

Reckon Gore might be gone at 47, but would be happy with him at that pick. Bampton could be the slider that we may grab.

Cavka is another one I like that could be in range, but most likely gone in 30s.

Dale may take some time to develop.

Gore getting to us at 47 would be a win imo.

The kid can play, and his last game in the Champs against Metro displayed that.

21 touches (11 contested), 8 clearances, 7 tackles and 8 inside 50s.

I reckon he is a bit better than 47 but if we got him for that - bargain.

Another South Australian player being under-appreciated this year.

Hmph.

Durdin at 10; Gore at 47 - would address 2 key areas on need with class performers. I almost wouldn't care who Wells took after that..

Durdin at 10; Gore at 47 - would address 2 key areas on need with class performers. I almost wouldn't care who Wells took after that..

I dont think Gore will get to 47. Reckon Bampton will though as I said in the podcast, and I rate him also.

Starting to think we will take Lever, but don't mind Durdin.

McKenzie is the other midfielder with that speed/endurance combination, he seems very good with his run and carry, kicking and marking. He seems to play taller than he is, but I think its his inside game that probably needs to be developed a bit further.

Why do you think that?

Apart from nuff nuff HS journos, all I've heard is that we are linked with Wright and De Goey.

It's fairly logical, Wells loves guys who are undervalued due to injury and he also loves guys who show leadership skills and Lever has that in spades, as well as plays the position we tried to recruit Frawley for.

If he was fit and playing decently this year he would have gone pick 1, was outstanding last year and I think we may take the risk (assuming Goddard is gone).

Don't think Lever's ACL would stop Wells... Wells would've taken T.Menzel.

My only doubt on Lever would be his ability to stop big forwards.. which is an unknown (he might be able to) as his only 193cm.

However, Frawley is 193, McPharlin 192 and Scarlett was 192 and Lever plays quite similar to Scarlett (competitive, rebounds, stops).

If Lever can stop big forwards, then pick 10 should be a no brainer.

Don't think Lever's ACL would stop Wells... Wells would've taken T.Menzel.

My only doubt on Lever would be his ability to stop big forwards.. which is an unknown (he might be able to) as his only 193cm.

However, Frawley is 193, McPharlin 192 and Scarlett was 192 and Lever plays quite similar to Scarlett (competitive, rebounds, stops).

If Lever can stop big forwards, then pick 10 should be a no brainer.

Very quick though, very long wingspan, and so plays a lot taller than his height.

Commanding presence too, the couple of times I have seen him play just commands the back half, poise, knows when to come off his man and competitive in the contest.

Knee is the only risk for me. 200 gamer if it holds up. Will be a very tough call for the club if he is there (he may go before 10 anyway)

Do you have a link for her Podcast GHS33? Last one I can see is from the 17th bolters and sliders

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dont think Gore will get to 47. Reckon Bampton will though as I said in the podcast, and I rate him also.

Starting to think we will take Lever, but don't mind Durdin.

Have you any knowledge of the nature of Lever's ACL? Was it an impact injury or did his knee collapse more innocuously? If he is able to avoid recurrence of his knee injury then he would be a gift at 10. I'm just a touch nervous using our first top 10 pick in god knows how many years on a bloke coming off an ACL, regardless of how good he is.

Not sure about Gore. Tend to think he may go slightly earlier than 47 but who knows? Bampton will go later. His foot skills will see him slide. I wouldn't be completely shocked if he didnt even go at all.

If we take Wright at 10 it will be interesting to see what type of player Wells takes with our remaining picks. Does he look at a key defender late? Or will he just use these picks on mids?

Have you any knowledge of the nature of Lever's ACL? Was it an impact injury or did his knee collapse more innocuously? If he is able to avoid recurrence of his knee injury then he would be a gift at 10. I'm just a touch nervous using our first top 10 pick in god knows how many years on a bloke coming off an ACL, regardless of how good he is.

Not sure about Gore. Tend to think he may go slightly earlier than 47 but who knows? Bampton will go later. His foot skills will see him slide. I wouldn't be completely shocked if he didnt even go at all.

If we take Wright at 10 it will be interesting to see what type of player Wells takes with our remaining picks. Does he look at a key defender late? Or will he just use these picks on mids?

I know nothing other than what's publicly available, which is that he did the acl at a training session with the national academy. Look it's a tough call for the club either way. Menzel was a real risk for Carlton but if the knees hold up will probably be the best player of his draft. Yet we know the problems his brother has had. I had my heart in my mouth when it looked like we were trying to get Stringer in the mini draft that year, but he looks like being a very good player. Sometimes it backfires on you with injured players, sometimes it doesn't. You just have to go on the medical info you have and make the best decision.

I think Gore will go in the mid second round so we'll miss him. I did note an article recently on Bampton having shoulder surgery this off season which will drop him down the order even further. Still think he would be a real value pick late in the draft.

I think with 47 55 and 60 it is too hard to predict who might be available. Bud ideally you would like a couple of midfielders if we go tall in the first round, unless a decent tall prospect like a Keitel or McGovern is available late.

I know nothing other than what's publicly available, which is that he did the acl at a training session with the national academy. Look it's a tough call for the club either way. Menzel was a real risk for Carlton but if the knees hold up will probably be the best player of his draft. Yet we know the problems his brother has had. I had my heart in my mouth when it looked like we were trying to get Stringer in the mini draft that year, but he looks like being a very good player. Sometimes it backfires on you with injured players, sometimes it doesn't. You just have to go on the medical info you have and make the best decision.

I think Gore will go in the mid second round so we'll miss him. I did note an article recently on Bampton having shoulder surgery this off season which will drop him down the order even further. Still think he would be a real value pick late in the draft.

I think with 47 55 and 60 it is too hard to predict who might be available. Bud ideally you would like a couple of midfielders if we go tall in the first round, unless a decent tall prospect like a Keitel or McGovern is available late.

I would have thought it was more of a concern that he did the knee at a training session but without knowing the precise details or medical opinion on his likelihood of future problems we are really just blindly speculating.

I suppose where he eventually lands will tell us whether clubs had concerns with him.

Any chance cats have a crack at mature age players like Greg Broughton or Cameron Delaney with pick 60.

Talk is Broughton will nominate for PSD and rookie draft only (which would take him out of the ND) because he wants to stay with GC who have committed to taking him back as a nominated rookie and he doesn't want to go to another club.

Delaney is possible, partly because we were interested in his brother last year, but again North will re-rookie him, but we could always get in first.

Wells loved Jake Stringer who was coming off a terrible broken leg. He looks like a star but obviously you would have passed on him.

It was a collision injury; as long as the medicos gave him the all clear then fine.

Players prone to ACLs from a simple change of direction are a concern.

It was a collision injury; as long as the medicos gave him the all clear then fine.

Players prone to ACLs from a simple change of direction are a concern.
Could be a number of things. Boots he was wearing were crap and got stuck, turf was s**t and contributed.
We don't know, but Ill back the recruiting team to choose a gun.

Aside from Gore, McKenzie and Dale, are their any other fast types with decent endurance and skills that may slip to 47 and beyond?

Aside from Gore, McKenzie and Dale, are their any other fast types with decent endurance and skills that may slip to 47 and beyond?
Daniel Butler has extreme speed. Jaden Mcgrath is another who Wells might consider.

Unfortunately Mckenzie is zero chance of getting to 47.

David Mennen.... From the Bushrangers...... On talent and potential..... Top 20 pick... But that just my opinion...
Only 17.... But IMO a RIPPER....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back