Prediction Geelong Cats 2016 Predictions!

Where will we finish on the Ladder in 2016?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Goldy is RFA at the end of next year too. Need to start planning our 2016 threads now, would hate for us to run out of things to talk about :D
The Bombers don't know how lucky they've been.
PS might just have changed their to they've before the spelling Nazi's got me.;)

Last edited:

I know most people won't be answering the predictions until end of Trade/FA/Draft periods, but I just felt like posting where I think we'll improve & where I think we'll go backwards in 2016 hence it's in the Predictions thread :thumbsu:

Improvements:
- IF we do get all those recruits we are after & possibly a couple others without being bent over, then all of a sudden we have quite a good list age-wise with only a few 30+'s left & more guys around the 24-28 group which is prime!
- Simon Lloyd being our Director of Coaching I think will have quite a big influence at the Cats, whether it's players developing/understanding different parts of the game better coming from a guy who worked at a different club for a while, or whether it's the coaching group works together better more consistently, or whether it's just us being able to beat Freo ( :D ) think he will be a great pick-up, possibly next senior coach!
- IF those injury-prone players of ours who all played in the seniors in the final round against the Crows (Don't think Simpson or McCarthy will get back in the seniors) can have a full pre-season then all of a sudden we have a brilliant 3rd Forward in Menzel, an athletic CHF/2nd Ruck in Vardy (hoping he stays at CHF though mostly) & a tough small defender/midfielder in Cowan. Brings greater depth to the team too.
- Think our midfield will dramatically improve. A centre bounce setup of Danger, J. Selwood (Will win Brownlow with Danger getting the tag) & Caddy will be tough for any opposition. Then you got Duncan, Guthrie, Motlop on the wings & also rotating through the middle as well as younger guys in Lang & Cockatoo getting time as well. If S. Selwood comes in he will most likely be a tagger too which sounds good to me!
- Another pre-season into all the younger guys (utensil ready to explode).
- Chris Scott is a brilliant coach & will get even better in 2016 (couldn't help myself hehe ;)).
- Probably some others I'm forgetting.

Go Backwards/Stay Same:
- Defence will be interesting to see in 2016. Hope Taylor is back to his best, hope we get Henderson & he slots right in there, hope Lonergan & Enright & Mackie (especially as he has a 2 year deal) don't slow down too much though there is a pretty good chance they will at times. Then add on Kolodjashnij, Thurlow, Bews & possibly Cowan/Smedts playing down there at times & there is a chance our defence will continue to be inconsistent as they play games together.
- Ruck setup. Hope Stanley gets full pre-season & gets over that foot injury though it was a serious injury. Stanley started showing great signs just before he got injured & if we don't get another ruckman during off-season then we will still find it hard to compete against teams with the best ruckmen in the comp...
- Experience/Consistency. We were inconsistent during the 2015 season as older guys & younger guys simply had bad days at times. Now many of our older guys are gone which gets rid of experience & a bit of onfield leadership though they were slowing down by the end. Meaning some of those younger guys coming through will have to step up & take their place, which will again bring inconsistency to the team throughout 2016 I feel, also the inclusions we get from other teams this off-season will still be learning the gameplan throughout next season & there will be a few mistakes made at times.
- Again think there are some things I'm forgetting but that's it for now :thumbsu:

Last edited:
Getting closer & closer to hearing everyone's predictions :D

Here are the Q's again!
Will we make Finals in 2016?
Who will retire end of next year?
Who could/will be traded end of next year?
Who will win our B&F for 2016?
Who will be our most improved youngster in 2016?
Which of our new recruits will improve/impact us the most?
Will Chris Scott be coaching Geelong at the end of 2016?
Best/Most Consistent Defender in 2016?
Best/Most Consistent Midfielder in 2016?
Best/Most Consistent Forward in 2016?
What will the Ruck setup be?
Who do you think will surprise us most?

I put 5-8 but this is a very difficult time to assess how we far we will rise. I need the injury reports before round 1 and to know that Scooter's ankle op went well first. Then I think it will take some time for the team to gel and then we have quite a few players who have less than 50 senior games.

If the young guys develop well and the team gels by mid season we could be top 4 - but being conservative and keeping the lid on - I went for 6 th. Happy to be wrong however.

Yes - I genuinely believe we are a shot if things go right. However, a lot of ifs and buts there. 2017 might be a better shot. No day like today though!!!
Corey Enright and Tom Lonergan - safe bets. Andrew Mackie is a possibility. Jimmy Bartel depending on form.
Billie Smedts (hope he makes something of himself but I don't know if he has the goods), one of our big men, George Horlin-Smith if starved of opportunities, Shane Kersten (showing too little despite his obvious talent), Lincoln McCarthy for the same reason as Hyphen.
1. Joel Selwood
2. Tom Hawkins/Patrick Dangerfield
4. Mitch Duncan

It depends on the definition of youngster - I think Kola will show a lot again next year and continue his improvement, however in regard to drastic improvement, I wouldn't be surprised to see Nakia play some decent games of footy where he blitzes opponents on numerous occasions per game rather than just the once or twice he did last year (which was still super exciting to watch) - whether he has the stamina yet to play 15+ is another matter.
The obvious is Danger, but I really believe Zac Smith will be our most important as to give us a solid first half ruckman which will free up Blitz and Stanley and then allow them to burn opponents later in the game.
Yes
Thurlow and Taylor.
Selwood - back to his best. However, as a unit this could become our strength next year. Freeing up some of the pressure on our second tiers will be huge for their development.
I would love to say Menzel or Vardy... but I think Tommy will dominate next season. Very excited to see Gregson and hopefully McCarthy providing red hot defensive pressure and kicking snags.
Smith to operate mostly in the first half, with chop outs from Stanley throughout, but particularly in the second half working in tandem with the 'midfielder' Blitz.
Nathan Vardy. I think he will have a big year and might even keep out a bloke like Clark. Guthrie to be a very good half back flanker. Mitch Duncan a Brownlow smoky. I'm praying for Josh Cowan to be a first team player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We should hope the new squad gels, and at least makes finals in year one of the new look. Anything more than that is a bonus. In year two & three (2017 & 2018) is when we should hopefully expect more, as more of our kids come into their own, the new guys are now settled, and maybe even some more awesome acquisitions through the reality of other senior retirements.

Let's please not get ahead of ourselves, but we should be pleased with the club's efforts thus far.

Yes - I genuinely believe we are a shot if things go right. However, a lot of ifs and buts there. 2017 might be a better shot. No day like today though!!!
Corey Enright and Tom Lonergan - safe bets. Andrew Mackie is a possibility. Jimmy Bartel depending on form.
Billie Smedts (hope he makes something of himself but I don't know if he has the goods), one of our big men, George Horlin-Smith if starved of opportunities, Shane Kersten (showing too little despite his obvious talent), Lincoln McCarthy for the same reason as Hyphen.
1. Joel Selwood
2. Tom Hawkins/Patrick Dangerfield
4. Mitch Duncan

It depends on the definition of youngster - I think Kola will show a lot again next year and continue his improvement, however in regard to drastic improvement, I wouldn't be surprised to see Nakia play some decent games of footy where he blitzes opponents on numerous occasions per game rather than just the once or twice he did last year (which was still super exciting to watch) - whether he has the stamina yet to play 15+ is another matter.
The obvious is Danger, but I really believe Zac Smith will be our most important as to give us a solid first half ruckman which will free up Blitz and Stanley and then allow them to burn opponents later in the game.
Yes
Thurlow and Taylor.
Selwood - back to his best. However, as a unit this could become our strength next year. Freeing up some of the pressure on our second tiers will be huge for their development.
I would love to say Menzel or Vardy... but I think Tommy will dominate next season. Very excited to see Gregson and hopefully McCarthy providing red hot defensive pressure and kicking snags.
Smith to operate mostly in the first half, with chop outs from Stanley throughout, but particularly in the second half working in tandem with the 'midfielder' Blitz.
Nathan Vardy. I think he will have a big year and might even keep out a bloke like Clark. Guthrie to be a very good half back flanker. Mitch Duncan a Brownlow smoky. I'm praying for Josh Cowan to be a first team player.

Mackie just signed a two year contract didn't he ??? So he will not retire at the end of 2016 season !

For me it is likely that Danger will win the B&F - as he is at the peak of his powers. Duncan a close second if he can play enough games. Motlop maybe also up there with Joel.

Taylor will have a better season with a better midfield allowing fewer inside 50 entries and adding pressure to the opposition player kicking inside the their forward 50. I agree I expect Thurlow to improve.

Hawkins will get more opportunities with an improved midfield and ruck set up. So I expect he will kick more goals and be our dominant forward again.

The ruck set up is hard one for me as I do not know Smith well but apparently he was third in Rising Star and looked pretty god - so as he his our tallest ruck now he should be first ruck if fit. Then Stanley as second ruck and Blitz to go third man up quite often or when required.

Best smokie ??? If Cocky plays enough games he could surprise especially late in the season. Thurlow and Kolo will improve. Menzel has the talent but his very long absence makes it hard to see him playing as well as we know he can.

A fresh update.

Yes I predict 3rd.

Bartel, Enright, Lonergan

Smedts, Kersten,

Blicavs

Cockatoo

Who will we pick up during trade/FA period this year?
Dangerfield, Henderson, Smith, Selwood

Yes

Taylor (Rejuvenated by being able to play as the free defender)

Dangerfield

Menzel

Smith, Vardy, Stanley

Kolo will take his game to another level again next year. The tutelage of Scarlo will see his become one of the best KPD in the competition.
I am a massive optimist. I feel like we will be a much much stronger team next year than this year. (I'm standing by it too) Happy to be ridiculed if I'm wrong on even the slightest detail.

Here are the new updated questions (obviously answer Draft one after the draft):

Which of our new FREE AGENCY/TRADE recruits will improve/impact us the most?
Which of our new DRAFT recruits will improve/impact us the most?
Which Cat will get the most votes in the 2016 Brownlow?

Good injury run - definite top 4...... Ordinary injury run - 4 to 8..... Shocking injury run - 8 to 12

Lonergan definite, Enright likely and Bartel possibly

Smedts, Kersten and Murdoch if they don't mentally toughen up.

Dangerfield easily

Cockatoo by stretch.... with players coming back from long lay offs Menzel, Vardy and McCarthy all future top players.

Dangerfield by Flemington straight, then Smith as we DESPERATELY require a competitive number one ruckman, Henderson cements KPB and S Selwood for lockdown, hardness and leadership.

Yes

Taylor but preferably all back 6 play as one even, cohesive and united group.... Talls - Henderson, Taylor, Lonergan Mids/Smalls - Kolodjashij, Mackie, Enright, Thurlow, Bews.

Dangerfield..... but much to like with two Selwoods, Duncan, Guthrie, Caddy, Blicavs, Motlop, Hyphen with the odd cameo from Cockatoo. Smith and Stanley as our rucks, making our following division barring injuries up there with best, very IMPRESSIVE group with much DEPTH and relatively YOUNG.

Everything centres around Hawkins, so want for the big fella minus a couple of kilos to have BIG year with able support from the come back kids in Menzel, Vardy and McCarthy who I rate extremely high. If Clarke can overcome his health issues he will also become major factor as he along with Vardy and Hawkins will share the big man load in forward half. Further improvement from youngsters in Lang and Gregson with Bartel chipping in and doing his stuff, prior to injury this year Bartel was one of our best players, so free injury run is VITAL for him as not getting any younger, same for Longergan.

Smith number one, Stanley number two with Vardy as assistant when required and Blicavs as third man up... Clark ONLY to ruck if needed.

Vardy and McCarthy if they stay injury free and Cockatoo at some point within next 3 three seasons will EXPLODE!

CONCLUSION - with good injury run our future is BLOODY EXCITING, we now have wonderful mixture of youth and experience with our age groups evenly distributed which we have NOT had previous 3 seasons. Our injury run past 3 years has hurt us enormously but particularly season past, so with the advent of having free from injury Stanley, Clark, Duncan, Menzel, Vardy, McCarthy, Mackie, Bartel who all missed huge chunks of games last season and with the additions of Dangerfield, Henderson, Smith and Selwood to our list, next season will be a TOTALLY different side, bring on 2016..... GO CATS!

Last edited:
Here are the Q's again!

Yep.
Loners/Jimmy/Boris.
No one.
Danger
Thurlow.
Danger.
Yes.
Taylor.
Danger.
Hawkins.
Smith/Stanley.
Henderson.

Yes.
Bartel, Enright, Lonergan
Smedts, GHS
Joel Selwood
Nakia Cockatoo
Which of our new FREE AGENCY/TRADE recruits will improve/impact us the most?
Dangerfield
Which of our new DRAFT recruits will improve/impact us the most?
None of them will impact us in 2016.
Definitely
Smith and Stanley
Menzel
Which Cat will get the most votes in the 2016 Brownlow?
Dangerfield.
Taylor
Joel Selwood
Hawkins.

Yes
Delaney, Lonergan, Enright, Clark
Murdoch, Smedts
Caddy
Horlin-Smith
Dangerfield
Unfortunately, yes he will
Taylor
Caddy
Hawkins
Smith/Blicavs for first 4 weeks, Smith/Stanley for next 4 weeks, Blicavs/Vardy by the end of the season
Kersten

Yes
Enright, Lonergan, Bartel
Kersten
Selwood
Smedts
Dangerfield
Yes
Taylor
Dangerfield/Selwood...cant split them
Hawkins
Smith/Stanley
Clark pinch-hitting

Vardy

Yes
Enright, Lonergan, Bartel
Kersten
Selwood
Smedts
Dangerfield
Yes
Taylor
Dangerfield/Selwood...cant split them
Hawkins
Smith/Stanley
Clark pinch-hitting

Vardy
Ours are very similar David. Out of interest what it is about Smedts that makes you believe he's the one to improve most? Has room for lots of improvement? Not having a go either, genuinely curious.

Back