Prediction Geelong Cats 2016 Predictions!

Where will we finish on the Ladder in 2016?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

You can't predict what Geelong will do without considering the status of the other teams.

I'd expect to see some movement next year at the top of the ladder.

Hawthorn should begin to slide. Surely the likes of Hodge, Burgoyne, Mitchell and Lewis will fall away a bit next year. I think we are already starting to see some early signs. Still top 6 but not the team to be feared anymore.

North and Freo, with ageing lists may be very competitive next year, but should fall as well soon after. WC will be strong and are my early tip for next years flag. You'd expect Port to bounce back and be a top 6 contender. Sydney should still be ok - Kennedy, Parker, Mitchell, Hannebury and Jack still form a very solid midfield. Much will depend on Franklin's ability to get back as to whether they are a just a finalist or a real contender.

Otherwise I still think Essendon, St Kilda, Brisbane, Carlton, Melbourne and GWS won't make finals.

Adelaide, without Dangerfield, will probably stagnate. He is that important to them. Richmond should play finals but I can't see them challenging for the flag at this stage. I think the Bulldogs will continue to climb and will finish top 4 next year.

As for us I see improvement but perhaps that's through rose coloured glasses? We all know about Dangerfield, Henderson and S.Selwood. Assuming they all come in that addresses some real areas of weakness we had this year - contested possession and a competitive tall back to replace an ageing and deteriorating Lonergan. It will take more though for us to return to the top 4.

We need Duncan to play a full season. I truly believe he would have been an elite player this year if his body had allowed. Caddy needs to be more consistent. He was better this year - his good performances were better than last year and his poor ones not as poor if that makes sense. But he still needs to improve again in 2016.

You'd expect continuing improvement from the likes of Gregson, Lang, JK, Horlin-Smith, Cockatoo, Bews and Thurlow. How much this band improve will determine where we sit next year. Then there is the x-factors - Menzel and Vardy. IF, and it's a huge IF, they can get continuity, that will be the icing on the cake.

In summary, we need a number of things to go our way next year to be back in the top 8 but that is the same with most teams. I'm quietly optimistic.

To suggest Geelong will make significant inroads next year, simply due to the fact Dangerfield and possibly Henderson are in the squad are kidding themselves. This team has no chemistry and is full of injury riddled players being relied upon to last the whole 20-23 rounds.
Not happening.
We will be lucky to even be in a position to scrape into the finals let alone finish well and truly inside the top eight.
I'm really worried too about our list management, we're recruiting like we think we're still a premiership chance when we're nowhere near it! We should be recruiting and playing kids. We needed to offload our vets a few years back and get good draft picks. When Scott is booted or leaves our club we will be in no mans land list wise and we'll have a very long time rebuilding. Dangerfield sans injury is the only player it seems we'll pick up in the off season guaranteed to be in our best 22. I genuinely hope I'm wrong but I feel Scott has and continues to lead us in to the abyss.

I'm really worried too about our list management, we're recruiting like we think we're still a premiership chance when we're nowhere near it! We should be recruiting and playing kids. We needed to offload our vets a few years back and get good draft picks. When Scott is booted or leaves our club we will be in no mans land list wise and we'll have a very long time rebuilding. Dangerfield sans injury is the only player it seems we'll pick up in the off season guaranteed to be in our best 22. I genuinely hope I'm wrong but I feel Scott has and continues to lead us in to the abyss.

You are certainty not alone Blighty. Unfortunately I feel this coach is going to leave us in a very vulnerable position. We have not improved in many areas for a number of years now. Contested footy is just non existent under Scott. Clearances are diabolical and seemingly never improving while our game style, which was once so free flowing and fun to watch, is rather dull and very one dimensional.

You can see why there are a few younger players asking their managers to look around for them. They know this coach doesn't have what it takes to nurture a new breed of talent. He prefers bringing in ready-made players in order to stay afloat.

You are certainty not alone Blighty. Unfortunately I feel this coach is going to leave us in a very vulnerable position. We have not improved in many areas for a number of years now. Contested footy is just non existent under Scott. Clearances are diabolical and seemingly never improving while our game style, which was once so free flowing and fun to watch, is rather dull and very one dimensional.

You can see why there are a few younger players asking their managers to look around for them. They know this coach doesn't have what it takes to nurture a new breed of talent. He prefers bringing in ready-made players in order to stay afloat.

a la Hawthorn perhaps - Lake, Hale, Frawley etc?

How dare he bring in Patrick Dangerfield one of the absolute best contested midfielders in the entire AFL simply because he is a ready-made player & Scott didn't nurture him in...

Is it too late to get some popcorn

**** me
Here you go Catastic -

stock-photo-9635076-young-girl-offering-fresh-popcorn.jpg

How dare he bring in Patrick Dangerfield one of the absolute best contested midfielders in the entire AFL simply because he is a ready-made player & Scott didn't nurture him in...

he's fine mate but where are our inside mids?
Since 2011, we have only been able to develop Guthrie, Horlin-Smith and that is all.
Sheringham & Simpkin were list plodders who always shone at VFL level. They were also 24 yrs when they debuted. Neither are around anymore.
Caddy was brought in from the Gold Coast Suns.
Stokes & Johnson were 28 yrs when they moved into the midfield. It was blatantly obvious neither were going to be around for another 3-5 years.
Christensen walked.
Jansen is walking.

It's no wonder we are the worst clearance team in the league.

You look at what his brother has done and he's very much built a team around his midfield. Young inside midfielders who crave contested footy. Complete opposites are the Scott brothers.

Since 2011, we have only been able to develop Guthrie, Horlin-Smith and that is all.
Sheringham & Simpkin were list plodders who always shone at VFL level. They were also 24 yrs when they debuted. Neither are around anymore.
Stokes & Johnson were 28 yrs when they moved into the midfield. It was blatantly obvious neither were going to be around for another 3-5 years.
Christensen walked.
Jansen is walking.

You look at what his brother has done and he's very much built a team around his midfield. Young inside midfielders who crave contested footy. Complete opposites are the Scott brothers.

Not so sure. I'd suggest that this year is it for NM.

If they don't go all the way then the window is shut for some time again I reckon.

Not so sure. I'd suggest that this year is it for NM.

If they don't go all the way then the window is shut for some time again I reckon.
And you think ours is open? Or will be in the next two years of Chris Scott's reign?

And you think ours is open? Or will be in the next two years of Chris Scott's reign?

I never made that inference.

The post implied that NM were in a better position through superior coaching and list management.

I merely suggested that mightn't be so.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Christensen walked.
Jansen is walking.

Touché, I concede this round you brought up some very good points.

Christensen didn't leave because of Scott though like that was something in his personal life, but yes true about JJ walking.

Don't think you absolutely have to nurture players in like if you bring in ready-made players too who fit the team balance well then by all means do it but you're right. Hopefully next year is that balance of nurtured (Guthrie, Duncan, GHS, Blicavs, J. Selwood) & brought in ready-made players (Caddy, Dangerfield, S. Selwood, mystery mid if that's still a thing) adding to the team.

Right about the Scott brothers though they are different. Only one has a premiership win :)

WE should have kept Shroder!!! Or Simpkin! These guys are going to be far better than Danger. The other obvious issue is that when we bring Danger in, we will dip down into the bottom 4, but if we kept Schroder, Stringer and Simpkin, we would have rebounded right up there and contended for a flag...

Menzel, Vardy, Cowan, Stanley and Clark are like new recruits...add Dangerfield who is clearly Geelong bound, Henderson, and perhaps Scooter, improvement in the younger brigade who stepped up this year and maybe even a hot draft pick....why not think we will be better?

One paced that will drop off in a year or two. They have the best ruckman going around that's the deal there.

BTW get a grip with your bitching and moaning about Jansen and Christensen leaving - next you'll be bemoaning the fact we cut Brown...

Menzel, Vardy, Cowan, Stanley and Clark are like new recruits...add Dangerfield who is clearly Geelong bound, Henderson, and perhaps Scooter, improvement in the younger brigade who stepped up this year and maybe even a hot draft pick....why not think we will be better?
We'll be better but no chance for a flag, yet we're recruiting like we think we're close. We've seen in the past what happens when teams overrate their list recruit older guys for a flag and fail. All that's left is a huge rebuild that needs to actually be done properly all over again.

One paced that will drop off in a year or two. They have the best ruckman going around that's the deal there.

nah, takes more than just a good ruckman to stay competitive for years on end.
I think Ziebell, Cunnington, Swallow & Gibson have had a lot to do with their rise. Higgins too has been pretty impressive in his first season for them.

nah, takes more than just a good ruckman to stay competitive for years on end.
I think Ziebell, Cunnington, Swallow & Gibson have had a lot to do with their rise. Higgins too has been pretty impressive in his first season for them.

They aren't a youngest team, they had 5 players older than 31 on the weekend, all will be 32+ by round 1 next year. Demographically they are staring off a very large cliff. They fielded the 2nd oldest team in the first week of the finals. It could get very ugly for them very quickly.

They aren't a youngest team, they had 5 players older than 31 on the weekend, all will be 32+ by round 1 next year. Demographically they are staring off a very large cliff. They fielded the 2nd oldest team in the first week of the finals. It could get very ugly for them very quickly.
What like us this year? The most concerning thing for us is we're currently falling off the cliff and our VFL team are awful. Look at Hawthorn they're about to go off a cliff in the coming years but have an elite VFL team. Nth do have older players but they have a large core group of guys in their mid twenties that are just on the brink of their best playing years.

What like us this year? The most concerning thing for us is we're currently falling off the cliff and our VFL team are awful. Look at Hawthorn they're about to go off a cliff in the coming years but have an elite VFL team. Nth do have older players but they have a large core group of guys in their mid twenties that are just on the brink of their best playing years.

True but in 2012 we started falling while our VFL team won the premiership.

2013 back up then slowly started falling again along with VFL team last couple years. Same could happen to the Hawks hopefully aha!

More like us 2 years ago except even older.

More like us 2 years ago except even older.
How do you figure that? Apart from Harvey their whole midfield is pretty much in its mid twenties. We didn't have such fortunate circumstances 2 years back.

Back