Unofficial Preview Geelong Cats V Hawthorn Rd 1 -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big 0

Club Legend
Dec 5, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
I was just thinking. What does Hawthorn's backline look like? Do they have any players capable of containing Hawkins 1 on 1? If anybody else has any insights for matchups etc. please divulge

Aug 8, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
I was just thinking. What does Hawthorn's backline look like? Do they have any players capable of containing Hawkins 1 on 1? If anybody else has any insights for matchups etc. please divulge

No, but our piss-weak forward line and delivery into it will mean that they'll be able to have three players sitting on Hawkins, rendering him ineffective as has been the case the last few games.

Sep 15, 2005
AFL Club
Geelong
No, but our piss-weak forward line and delivery into it will mean that they'll be able to have three players sitting on Hawkins, rendering him ineffective as has been the case the last few games.

Can sadly see that happening; Hawkins needs to be part of the solution though by presenting a bit more rather than wrestling in the square and expecting to pluck a 1 v 3 contested mark every other entry.
His game in the '11 QF would be a good example of what he can do when he mixes up his approach a bit...

Frappe

Premiership Player
Jul 29, 2006
Australia
AFL Club
Geelong

Yes but with Joel, Mitch and Danger we may wear them down with multiple entries. That was our secret in the past (one of them).

Dec 11, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
Geelong's forwardline and Hawthorn's backline are the interesting factors in this matchup, but you know all Channel 7 will talk about is Dangerfield.

Best to watch that game on mute.

We'll enjoy a little bit of that.

Be a welcome change to the usual panting over Thyril.......

Last edited:

catswhiskers

Premiership Player
Mar 13, 2006
Far North East
AFL Club
Geelong
I am looking forward to the 2 or 3 cheapies Hawthorn have enjoyed this last year or two drying up. Direct or almost direct from centre bounces/clearances.

This has killed us as we toiled away for our goals only for them to sweep the ball away from clearances to score easily.

I am also a fan of one on one pressure when playing the Hawks. We will know 2 minutes into season 2016 whether this will be part of our armoury or we continue to back our systems in.

Dec 11, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
I am looking forward to the 2 or 3 cheapies Hawthorn have enjoyed this last year or two drying up. Direct or almost direct from centre bounces/clearances.

This has killed us as we toiled away for our goals only for them to sweep the ball away from clearances to score easily.

I am also a fan of one on one pressure when playing the Hawks. We will know 2 minutes into season 2016 whether this will be part of our armoury or we continue to back our systems in.

I'm looking forward to breaking our record and winning the next 15 - 20 straight against the Dorks :D

STP18

Cancelled
Pokemon is Life
May 4, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
I've never been one to divulge too deeply into tactics but the whole zone defence guarding space and not a man rubbish doesn't work against the Hawks. They build their whole game on short precise kicking and as soon as you give them 5 metres they pinpoint passes through you like you're not even there. I think you've just got to back your players in one-on-one against them and hope you match up well individually on them. If we try that guarding space crap again like everyone else does the same result will probably occur.

Sep 15, 2005
AFL Club
Geelong
I've never been one to divulge too deeply into tactics but the whole zone defence guarding space and not a man rubbish doesn't work against the Hawks. They build their whole game on short precise kicking and as soon as you give them 5 metres they pinpoint passes through you like you're not even there. I think you've just got to back your players in one-on-one against them and hope you match up well individually on them. If we try that guarding space crap again like everyone else does the same result will probably occur.

Absolutely, they've demonstrated this a few times against us now, and frankly we don't have enough pace in the back 6 to pull it off anymore.

Hopefully this time around we'll have a semi decent ruck set-up too. In Round 1 last year, we had Simpson and Blicavs in the ruck against Ceglar and McEvoy, and in Round 20 it was Blicavs and Walker against McEvoy and Hale.

Big 0

Club Legend
Dec 5, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
My view is that we'll generally have a strong enough midfield to get the ball in there - it's just how are we to make the most of our entries and eradicate this 2nd man up/player crowding bs that the Dorks use so effectively against us

Hood007

Premiership Player
May 10, 2007
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Lakers
Stratton Frawley Gibson
Burgoyne Spangher Birchall

With Duryea on the bench. Seems to still be a solid back 6.
You reckon Clangers will get a run up back?
They've still got Roughy & Gunston up forward and they've got that Tim O'Brien who they might wanna give some games to...

You reckon Clangers will get a run up back?
They've still got Roughy & Gunston up forward and they've got that Tim O'Brien who they might wanna give some games to...
God I certainly hope so.

catswhiskers

Premiership Player
Mar 13, 2006
Far North East
AFL Club
Geelong
I think they have finally realised Clangermakers is a key forward. Will definitely start before O'Brien (IMO) with Sicily (sp? - nervous now!) a bit of a goer from what I have seen at Box Hill Hawks and a chance to step up.

Hopefully this time around we'll have a semi decent ruck set-up too. In Round 1 last year, we had Simpson and Blicavs in the ruck against Ceglar and McEvoy, and in Round 20 it was Blicavs and Walker against McEvoy and Hale.

you can only laugh at the contrast......Blitz and 2 spuds....he must have wondered what he had got himself into..

nananana catman

Premiership Player
Oct 9, 2003
www.geelongblog.com
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
The Kent Kingsley Krew
Be it Hawthorn or any club, Hawkins needs some support from another tall forward who the Hawks won't peel off. Pods always played pretty well against them, ditto when Mooney was in the side too.

Whether it's Clark, or Vardy or Henderson or Stanley, or Menzel, there's got to be someone Gibson needs to be accountable for and can't roll off. Someone small with some strong forward pressure would be terrific to have as well so if it does spill to ground it creates a stoppage. Cockatoo, Gregson? Probably designated for midfield roles I assume.

One on One one of Hawkins great assets is that he rarely loses a contest. It generally either spills, he marks, or, he gives away a free kick...

CatsDoItBetter

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 9, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Renegades
Unless multiple disasters happen between now and round 1 we should have some able support for Hawkins and some unlucky players that miss out.
We got bullied in round 1 last year the Hawks went after Cockatoo, Clark, Motlop and others that won't happen again this year. I really hope we have both Selwood boys there with Dangerfield as they will set the tone with hard attacks on the ball and man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back