Preview Geelong Cats Vs Adelaide Crows KP Sat Sept 5 1:05pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He might get in if the MRP look at the incident with Walker & McGovern that has buggered McGovern's shoulder.
Tex would be stiff to go for that... but given how well the Crows played and if they are seen as a challenger to the Hawks I expect him to get 7 :D

Lana

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 23, 2010
AFL Club
GWS
I genuinely am not fussed what route they go down for the last match.

What I meant to say is that I care slightly more than less. But in the scheme of things its not the most important decision facing our club in the next month.

TheYid

Club Legend
May 8, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Colorado Avalanche, Rockies
a) We'll get a proper hiding from a far better team
b) doesn't matter who gets a game this week. Pressure off of us and let's just enjoy any send-offs that might be happening.

Doubt that Adelaide is going to rest PD - if he is any chance to win the Brownlow, they decide to rest him for the last game and he misses out by less than 2 votes (or 3 to tie for the win) can you imagine the outcry. Or maybe they might rest him, hoping he does get pipped in the last round or falls just short as a potential screw you if he does decide to ask to join us next year.

While I can understand the reasoning behind the idea of resting Menzel, and possible even Vardy this week, why risk them with nothing to play for, better off resting them up and make sure there right a full preseason - I doubt either player is thinking like that (and hope no one on our list is), I think for both those boys they would want the opportunity to play in front of their home crowd for the first time in a long time. Vardy's last home game was the qualifying final against Freo on Sept 7 2013 (so nearly 2 years to ago to the date of our match this coming Sat), while Menzels last home game was rnd 23 vs Sydney on 27 August 2011. I know there has been some VFL games at home in between, but those aren't the same as running out for an AFL match in front of your real home crowd - lets not deny them the opportunity of playing in front of the home crowd now, and make them wait another 6 months to do so.

As for the makeup of our team, conflicted between bringing in guys like Gore, Jansen & Smedts to get a run, compared with bringing in guys like Stokes for a farewell game. Its a tough call, but I'm leaning towards:

Ins: Cowan, Kersten, Stokes, Jansen
Outs: Gregson, Hawkins, Lang/Motlop/Johnson

Reasoning, Ins: Cowan, is out of contract and we need to see if his body with last out an AFL match and don't make him sub; Stokes final game from the look of things so let the home crowd give him a fitting farewell; Jansen, the club has identified areas of his game he needs to work on, but he is out of contract so lets see how he goes at this level; Kersten replaces Hawkins and lets see Kersten & Walker play side-by-side for battle of the back-up forward spot for 2016 & beyond.
Outs: Hawkins has been down this year, and I think this could be a good opportunity for Kersten & Walker (Vardy when not rucking) to get a chance to play forward without the focus going to Hawkins and see if either of them can stand up; Gregson, its been a long first season let him have an extra week off; Motlop & Johnson it will depend on injury & possible suspension - if Motlops knee doesn't pull up this week then don't risk him unnecessarily, while Johnson may have no option as we know how much the MRP love him. Lang is kinda unlucky if he misses, just struggled to find a someone else to miss if both Johnson & Motlop are all good to play.

EyeloveRichmond

Team Captain
Mar 16, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Sorry to intrude. Any chance both Duncan & Caddy come back this week? From a Richmond perspective, we need both to play to give the Cats the best chance of knocking off Adelaide in case we lose to the Kangas on Friday night. Will be a nightmare if we lose and the Cats lose & we have to play an elimination final in Adelaide against the Crows.

Sorry to intrude. Any chance both Duncan & Caddy come back this week? From a Richmond perspective, we need both to play to give the Cats the best chance of knocking off Adelaide in case we lose to the Kangas on Friday night. Will be a nightmare if we lose and the Cats lose & we have to play an elimination final in Adelaide against the Crows.

Doubt we would risk them in the final game of the season - better off making sure they are 100% right to go at the start of the pre-season.

Meh relatively he has been. I would still keep Bartel on the list but just don't get why it's all about Johnson leaving and nothing about Bartel when Johnson is performing better.
Because we can deduce SJ has been told he's gone, Bartel has been told he has a 1 year reprieve?

romeohwho

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 20, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
I'd be surprised to see either play- sorry to say.
You will beat the Kangas, so all good. Go Tiges.

GFrost

Club Legend
Apr 15, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Yeah but they've beaten the teams they should beat and we well and truly fall in to that category after our last fortnight. Adelaide by 45 - 60 points
Bobby said our 3-7 record against top 8 teams indicates we aren't good enough.
I was simply pointing out Adelaide had only 2 wins against top 8. Now a 3-5 record.
Current form perhaps would have been a better argument as to why Adelaide will beat us than win-loss against top 8 teams.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oct 5, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Be nice to play fewer top teams wouldn't it?

True but then again, we may get teams like Gold Coast, GWS or Collingwood x2 next year and they could be about to heat right up.

Perhaps we'd be best to face Fremantle and North Melbourne (again) as the chances of those two declining would be reasonable in my opinion. It's the luck of the draw sometimes.

Mar 7, 2009
On the Buses
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars
It's going to be an interesting week that's for sure. I agree with everyone, since this is a dead rubber for us if any player has any niggle don't play them (apart from the veterans). There'll be some players who'd want to play a last game with possible retirees, so they should be allowed if fit. But I expect the MC will play it all with a straight bat, and we won't see too many changes - or as many as we think there should be.

BlightysCats

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 5, 2013
Northcote
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
The Phil Opiontube Phillies
Meh relatively he has been. I would still keep Bartel on the list but just don't get why it's all about Johnson leaving and nothing about Bartel when Johnson is performing better.
You're generous, I certainly wouldn't be keeping Bartel he shows more interest in catwalks than playing for The Cats these days. I'd keep Johnson for another year then employ him as an assistant at the end of next year.

You're generous, I certainly wouldn't be keeping Bartel he shows more interest in catwalks than playing for The Cats these days. I'd keep Johnson for another year then employ him as an assistant at the end of next year.
If you want to critique his football. Fine.

But that catwalk jibe well it's a load of nonsense frankly.

And the most humourless poster of the year award goes to....
You've repeated the catwalk nonsense enough to suggest you're not joking but do in fact believe it, so don't try and fool me. I wasn't born yesterday.

Critique his football by all means, leave the other rubbish at the door.

BlightysCats

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 5, 2013
Northcote
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
The Phil Opiontube Phillies
You've repeated the catwalk nonsense enough to suggest you're not joking but do in fact believe it, so don't try and fool me. I wasn't born yesterday.

Critique his football by all means, leave the other rubbish at the door.
You've got me NSFB! Finally caught me out, I surrender. You're right, I do believe Bartel cares more about his fashion career than playing AFL football for Geelong - a dream and passion he has pursued all his teenage and adult life incredibly successfully and which has given him the happy fulfilled life he has today. I wasn't joking, but rather, just trying to fool you all along...

EyeloveRichmond

Team Captain
Mar 16, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
I'd be surprised to see either play- sorry to say.
You will beat the Kangas, so all good. Go Tiges.

Thanks for the reply. I'm not as confident. We are North's you know what (starts with B), their run & carry game-style and quick ball movement troubles us and it is also played at Etihad, which they play well at & we have only played once at this year. Hope you guys can knock off Adelaide but it will be a very tough task. Good luck for next year, always loved how the Cats play. Think you guys with Menzel, Stanley, Vardy all back hopefully playing full seasons, coupled with the possibility of getting Dangerfield, the improvement of Lang, Gregson, McCarthy, Kolodjashnij & Cockatoo, the future is bright & will be back in the 8 next year, unlike some of the media thinking you will full off the wagon and out of the finals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back