Expansion Geelong Chief Calls For International Expansion - AGE

Mar 20, 2002
Mosman Village
AFL Club
Carlton
http://www.canberratimes.com.au/afl...fls-international-agenda-20150303-13tsgj.html

Geelong president Colin Carter has called for an overhaul of the AFL's international agenda, declaring it's time the league assiduously worked to expand a code that has a stronghold only in "a few states" of Australia.

In a letter to AFL chief Gillon McLachlan and chairman Mike Fitzpatrick, Carter says it makes sense from a financial and talent point of view to shift greater resources into developing the sport in South Africa.

In the words of Denis Commetti : "that's ambitious".

Aug 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
The AFL should never expand overseas. New Zealand already play 2 types of rugby and is only a small country. It's just not worth it. South Africa is too far away. And they aren't going to be playing Australian football in Indonesia any time soon.

That said I totally support using a percentage of resources in Africa and trying to grow the game and even some form of semi professional league there.

It's an opportunity for the AFL to spread Australian rules football, potentially develop some athletes and at the same time contribute on a world scale with a charitable project.

Jun 11, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Too bad nobody but Australians care about AFL

That's not true, the largest national championships ever of Aussie rules footy was last year in America, and a large percentage of the players are non expats. We also have the International Cup which features full teams from more than ten countries, some fielding men's and women's teams with no expats allowed in those teams. It's mainly the AFL that doesn't care about Aussie rules being played overseas.

Because Colin Carter came up with this idea I think it is good!

Seriously, why not think big? Australian Rules is a very attractive football code (much more watchable than rugby, or gridiron). It does not hurt to be aspirational and have a plan to get there.

The Swert

Premiership Player
May 3, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
That's not true, the largest national championships ever of Aussie rules footy was last year in America, and a large percentage of the players are non expats. We also have the International Cup which features full teams from more than ten countries, some fielding men's and women's teams with no expats allowed in those teams. It's mainly the AFL that doesn't care about Aussie rules being played overseas.

The International Cup is sponsored and run by the AFL. So how can you say they don't care?

The USAFL is also partly funded by the AFL.

pinot

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 14, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
I was in Europe recently and no one really knows anything about NFL and know much less of AFL.

In other words these expansion dreams should remain where they are as dreams unless of course we can allocate 20 mln odd aside to lose freely.

Gotta be in it to win it I guess.

I was in Europe recently and no one really knows anything about NFL and know much less of AFL.

In other words these expansion dreams should remain where they are as dreams unless of course we can allocate 20 mln odd aside to lose freely.

Gotta be in it to win it I guess.
“If you trust in yourself. . .and believe in your dreams. . .and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”
Terry Pratchett, The Wee Free Men (Discworld, #30)

Can't even convince the people of NSW and Queensland to watch, let alone overseas.

The AFL aren't trying to convince the rusted on League and Union fans to convert. They have their minds made up.

It's all the neutrals and undecided that are being catered for.

Ian Dunross

Premiership Player
Mar 18, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Glenelg Tigers
They've got to fix the aesthetics of the game to make sure they don't lose their domestic audience before worrying about the international audience.

Bit melodramatic but if the rotations trend continues I'll stop watching. Don't want to see rolling mauls & running end to end team defence.

fabulousphil

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 29, 2001
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
freo
They've got to fix the aesthetics of the game to make sure they don't lose their domestic audience before worrying about the international audience.

Bit melodramatic but if the rotations trend continues I'll stop watching. Don't want to see rolling mauls & running end to end team defence.

Except you don't see that at a community level, the fitness base is not there.

the game is far more traditional at lower levels.

ClokesShankedIt

Club Legend
Zombie Lover A Star Wars Fan
Jul 5, 2011
Near the point post
AFL Club
Collingwood

Don't know if you are doing this already mate but once the season kicks off may i suggest you head to your local vfl or division 1 game

Can't even convince the people of NSW and Queensland to watch, let alone overseas.
It is quite apt that the people of NSW and QLD support a football code that is really only popular in the bleak north of England

I am Jack

Premiership Player
May 14, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Team GGG Golovkin
The AFL could - and should - expand. But, it will take a broad vision - and it will take time.
I don't think the AFL have the capabilities to foresee areas in which they could succeed in.
If the game expands on an international level, it will because of individual clubs - not a push from the AFL.
Clubs will look for ways to find new players, and smart clubs will take time to invest in potential hot spots.
I never liked Sheedy, but he was a visionary, always trying new things and thinking beyond the here and now.

fabulousphil

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 29, 2001
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
freo
Waste of time and money.

In most countries soccer is the sport of choice as it is easy to play, easy to understand and the most accessible game. Aussie rules is really not any of those three things.

I don't think anyone thinks footy will transplant soccer, no guts no glory, select countries appear to make sense.

there is always a appetite for something besides soccer

Crawb

Norm Smith Medallist
SuperCoach Club Board Winner
Aug 11, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The only possible "international" expansion within the next half-century is NZ, and even that is unlikely. Thinking about anything else is ludicrous.

Back