News Geelong dual-premiership player Shannon Byrnes retires

Remove this Banner Ad

Had a really good career, was crucial in 09 and a top bloke and great clubman. I hope he comes back to do Cats TV again, no one since him has done anywhere near as good a job of it.

There was a period there where quite simply one did not get a game for Geelong unless they were good. Not often mentioned but was also a good mark when pitted against a similar sized opponent, or even leading as the hit-up target.

2009 GF Q4 goes without saying as a favourite memory. I also loved the banana goal he got from a free kick in the 2009 Prelim against the pies. Speaking of the pies, this goal also sticks in my mind fo all the wrong reasons - it was a real turning point in the game, and possibly the season:

There was a period there where quite simply one did not get a game for Geelong unless they were good. Not often mentioned but was also a good mark when pitted against a similar sized opponent, or even leading as the hit-up target.
That's a good comment. I remember him taking Archer to the cleaners in the 2007 qualifying final.

Best of luck Booo-erns! To his credit he really worked his backside off in the off season after 2008, particularly on his scoring accuracy. One look at his stats via AFL Tables gives you some appreciation on his hard work.
Goal kicking accuracy:
2006 - 21%
2007 - 38%
2008 - 44%
2009 - 74%

I was heavily critical of him for this aspect of his play but as you mentioned he was able to turn it around in 2009-10 and become a very solid and handy player.

Very lucky in 2007 but well and truly earned his place in 2009 and was also an important contributor on the final day and quarter of 2009. Apart from the '09 GF who could forget his handful of goals against Freo at Subi, also in 2009, which saved our bacon that day.

Well done and thank you Shagga.:thumbsu:

A well liked and respected member of our 'golden era'. Two premiership medals is a lot more than many more 'famous' players have.

With the exception of Leigh Matthews, the best coaches were not the best and most talented players, they were the ones who worked the hardest and got the most from their 'limited' talent. Based on that premise, I predict Shagga to be a future coaching great!

Wasn't it Shagga who at the 2007 GF podium presentations forgot to give his Toyota GF hat to the little kid [who was about the same size as him] ?
A staff member had to go after him and tell him he forgot
I could be wrong, but wasn't it a case of the 2006 pre-season grand final where he got a bit excited and ignored the little kid giving him a medal that led to the marketing department coming up with the idea of the hats to get the team to remember to thank the kids?

I could be wrong, but wasn't it a case of the 2006 pre-season grand final where he got a bit excited and ignored the little kid giving him a medal that led to the marketing department coming up with the idea of the hats to get the team to remember to thank the kids?

No it was 2007 where the idea came about.I think the womans name who came up with it is Sarah Birch.I think she worked in the marketing department.
The reason it was done is Geelong are Ford sponsored and of course the caps had Toyota GF on it.Obviously the club didn't want to promote a rival sponsor,so give the kids the caps.Vlad loved the idea and every premiership team has done it since 07.

A well liked and respected member of our 'golden era'. Two premiership medals is a lot more than many more 'famous' players have.

With the exception of Leigh Matthews, the best coaches were not the best and most talented players, they were the ones who worked the hardest and got the most from their 'limited' talent. Based on that premise, I predict Shagga to be a future coaching great!
Tell him to read BF- everyone here'll give him an opinion on match day moves, team selection, drafting tips and who to delist. He'll be set for sure! :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Applied some memorable tackles ( on his own players )
Always able to get into a good position (in post GF team photos! )

..Played a few useful games as well.;) Hard team to break into.
Post footy career should be interesting . Feel we may not have seen the last of him at GFC

Applied some memorable tackles ( on his own players )
Always able to get into a good position (in post GF team photos! )

..Played a few useful games as well.;) Hard team to break into.
Post footy career should be interesting . Feel we may not have seen the last of him at GFC
:p Very clever, pollywaffle :D I had to laugh!

Just for interest, I checked Shagga's goal kicking over the time he was at the Geelong.
In 2009, vs Freo R12, he kicked 5.1
followed that up with 4.1 vs Port in R 13 the next week :) Well done Mr Byrnes!!

then, in 2010, appearing to hit a purple patch in the middle of the season again, he kicked 4.3 vs West Coast in R11 and followed that up with 3.0 vs Essendon in R12. They were his best goal kicking stats. Had a bag of 5 as his best, 2 lots of 4 and 9 x 3 goal hauls for the Cats and 1x 3 goal day for Melbourne. Kicked 3.4 in the first round of 2010 then 3.2 the following week, so he was getting his hands on the ball a fair bit.
He kicked 32.11 in 2009, followed by 35.20 the following year. A handy goal sneak, indeed :) And he had 30 disposals against the Bombers in 2009.

I'll be honest. Byrnes was never one of my favorite players, but you've got to respect him for what he achieved. And he was a character around the club.

Two finals games in 2009 i thought he was crucial - obviously the last qtr of the 2009 GF - like alot of Geelong supporters on this board have said - we were never going to lose -The Saints are a pack of losers - Ross Lyon cant coach Premiership teams - blah blah - yap -yap - but without Byrnes in the last qtr - Geelong most probably would have lost

Also thought he played very well against The Bulldogs ( who were highly fancied to win) in qualifying final in 2009 - help set up the win early on

Apart from that - i thought he was an average player - with ordinary skills ( especially his kicking - unusual ball drop) who benefited greatly by having class players all round him

Certainly got the best out of himself throughout his career, dual premiership player. Disappointing he will finish on the sidelines due to injury. Well done on a solid career.

I think he was a better player than many on here are giving him credit for, even those who've congratulated him on getting the best out of himself, and on his dual premierships and legendary 2009 Q4 GF performance with his absolutely vital role in cracking open the St Kilda defensive "box".
I think his consistent domination in whole slabs of 2nds games shows that in any other era he would have been an automatic 1sts selection with a more senior role, and a more than useful 1sts player.

:p Very clever, pollywaffle :D I had to laugh!

Just for interest, I checked Shagga's goal kicking over the time he was at the Geelong.
In 2009, vs Freo R12, he kicked 5.1
followed that up with 4.1 vs Port in R 13 the next week :) Well done Mr Byrnes!!

then, in 2010, appearing to hit a purple patch in the middle of the season again, he kicked 4.3 vs West Coast in R11 and followed that up with 3.0 vs Essendon in R12. They were his best goal kicking stats. Had a bag of 5 as his best, 2 lots of 4 and 9 x 3 goal hauls for the Cats and 1x 3 goal day for Melbourne. Kicked 3.4 in the first round of 2010 then 3.2 the following week, so he was getting his hands on the ball a fair bit.
He kicked 32.11 in 2009, followed by 35.20 the following year. A handy goal sneak, indeed :) And he had 30 disposals against the Bombers in 2009.

True, he had his moments and my irreverent ( and possibly irrelevant ?)post perhaps doesn't do him the justice he deserves
You are right TYK. There was that period where he was kicking goals from everywhere and it seemed like he had finally arrived. Didn't he get injured or something just after that purple patch, losing a bit of confidence and zip?

True, he had his moments and my irreverent ( and possibly irrelevant ?)post perhaps doesn't do him the justice he deserves
You are right TYK. There was that period where he was kicking goals from everywhere and it seemed like he had finally arrived. Didn't he get injured or something just after that purple patch, losing a bit of confidence and zip?
I don't think so, PW- just looking at his stats, it looks like he's played at least the next 9 games after those goal-fest games, but just had a smattering of singles after that. In 2009, between Rounds 8 and 13, he kicked 16.3 (3-2-2.1-5.1-4.1) (didn't play Round 9) but then he kicked 0.1, 1.0, 1.1, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 3.1, 2.1, 1.0... etc.

I remember thinking he was a bit of a goal-nabber, after standing in front of goal and marking someone else's kick that he could've shepherded through (Pods, maybe?). And there was that goal he DID kick that wasn't allowed- that very controversial disgusting decision vs the Pies in 2010....

He would've been shattered!

Edit- apologies to kickazz who posted this a few days ago. My memory isn't what it used to be :(
Also... my memory isn't what it used to be :(

Last edited:
No it was 2007 where the idea came about.I think the womans name who came up with it is Sarah Birch.I think she worked in the marketing department.
The reason it was done is Geelong are Ford sponsored and of course the caps had Toyota GF on it.Obviously the club didn't want to promote a rival sponsor,so give the kids the caps.Vlad loved the idea and every premiership team has done it since 07.

I think she came up with the idea after watching the Eagles players receive their medals the year before and ignoring the kids and just acting like knobs in general, and she thought it would be better if the players interacted with the kids more. I think initially they wanted to give the kids a showbag each, but the AFL said no to that, so they settled for just the cap.

Thousands of players would give their right arms to be the "23rd best player" in one of the greatest teams to ever play the game - and play the game as it should be played to boot. Congrats on the footy career Shannon and thanks for the memories - good, bad and ugly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back