Remove this Banner Ad

RogersResults

Premiership Player
May 7, 2009
Wagga Wagga
they went 22-3 in 2011 (statistically the best season we've ever had),

Geelong Premiership Teams: Ranked by match/win percentage

gee_prem_zps64d465c6.png

Interestingly both the 1952 and 2011 won matches against all opponents except Essendon. The '52 team did however also manage a draw with the Bombers.
1937: Won against all opponents.
1925: Won against all opponents.
2007: Didn't win vs Hawthorn.
2009: Didn't win vs Carlton.
1931: Won against all opponents.
1951: Won against all opponents.
1963: Didn't win vs Melbourne and Fitzroy (the wooden spooner).

No Geelong premiership has been won in a year where all teams played each other twice during the home and away rounds.

RogersResults

Premiership Player
May 7, 2009
Wagga Wagga
Are you all exploring The Australasian?

Some samples:

Geelong's first VFA Premiership season: http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/143001713

A GREAT FOOTBALL MATCH: GEELONG (FROM INSTANTANEOUS PHOTOGRAPHS BY FOSTER AND MARTIN).
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/page/15066908 - engravings based on photos (plus sketches) as the Australasian did not yet have the technology to reproduced photos on newsprint. (The 'Geelong trainer' is a highlight.)

Photos of 1912 Semi-final vs Carlton http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/143277690
(Note the apparently nonchalant team at 'lemon time' unaware that they are going to be over run in the last quarter.)

Geelong's history up to 1940 by 'Old Boy' (RWE Wilmot) http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/142141070

BACK IN THE LEAGUE, GEELONG ARE REBUILDING A TEAM: 1944 article by Percy Taylor with photo of 1944 team. http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/142419302

Not a Geelong game but this footage of the 1953 Semi-Final between the Dogs and Essendon is sensational. Gives a real sense of what the game was like in a year when Collingwood (just) stopped us from achieving a three-peat.

As someone who is interested in the history of the GFC and VFL/AFL football in general, there's a piece of our history i would like to know more about.

During WWII the GFC underwent a temporary cessation due to travel restrictions, and upon returning to the league in 1944, there was debate over allowing geelong to re-enter the league. My grandmother once told me that Essendon were behind the 'coup' to have geelong ousted while NM were instrumental in getting us back in the league (pay back for geelong apparently getting NM into the VFL in 1925).

Does anyone have a reliable resource where i can get more info on this part of our history?

Geelong Premiership Teams: Ranked by match/win percentage

gee_prem_zps64d465c6.png

Interestingly both the 1952 and 2011 won matches against all opponents except Essendon. The '52 team did however also manage a draw with the Bombers.
1937: Won against all opponents.
1925: Won against all opponents.
2007: Didn't win vs Hawthorn.
2009: Didn't win vs Carlton.
1931: Won against all opponents.
1951: Won against all opponents.
1963: Didn't win vs Melbourne and Fitzroy (the wooden spooner).

No Geelong premiership has been won in a year where all teams played each other twice during the home and away rounds.
1963 nearly didn't happen, had we lost our final H&A game we would have missed the finals all together, as the 4 finalists and the 5th placed team all finished on 13 wins. We beat Hawthorn that day to secure finals, then beat them in our next game (SF) then beat them in our nest game (GF)

Last edited:

vinum coupe

Cancelled
10k Posts Ruby Geelong Cats - Travis Varcoe 2012 Player Sponsor
Aug 4, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Aussie cricket team
As someone who is interested in the history of the GFC and VFL/AFL football in general, there's a piece of our history i would like to know more about.

During WWII the GFC underwent a temporary cessation due to travel restrictions, and upon returning to the league in 1944, there was debate over allowing geelong to re-enter the league. My grandmother once told me that Essendon were behind the 'coup' to have geelong ousted while NM were instrumental in getting us back in the league (pay back for geelong apparently getting NM into the VFL in 1925).

Does anyone have a reliable resource where i can get more info on this part of our history?

That info is here somewhere.
Michael knows all about it.

RogersResults

My memory is Carlton suggested we should go out... maybe.
And North didn't vote to keep us in. The just had the last vote and didn't choose to kick us out.

Might be wrong, but it was something like that.

RogersResults

Premiership Player
May 7, 2009
Wagga Wagga

You need this book: Classic Cats
Click on the above link to order a copy.
The there was more to the withdrawal from the competition than just travel restrictions.
The motion "to include Geelong in the 1944 fixture" was carried at a meeting of the League with one
dissenting vote and the dissenter wasn't Essendon. (Although it is true that at various times, Essendon was one
of the metropolitan teams that complained about having to travel to Geelong for matches.)

RogersResults

Premiership Player
May 7, 2009
Wagga Wagga

RogersResults

And North didn't vote to keep us in. The just had the last vote and didn't choose to kick us out.

The Carlton delegate was the only dissenting vote to the motion that "Geelong be included in the 1944 fixture".
There were also suggestions that Geelong should play 'home' matches at a ground in Melbourne as restrictions on
travel (not the only reason that Geelong withdrew) were as bad or worse than they were in 1942.

RogersResults

Premiership Player
May 7, 2009
Wagga Wagga
1963 nearly didn't happen, had we lost our final H&A game we would have missed the finals all together, as the 4 finalists and the 5th placed team all finished on 13 wins. We beat Hawthorn that day to secure finals, then beat them in our next game (SF) then beat them in our nest game (GF)
The only other time that the premier met the runner-up in three consecutive matches was in 1956. Melbourne played Collingwood in the last home and away round, its next match was vs Collingwood in the 2nd Semi-final and its match after that was vs Collingwood in the Grand Final. Melbourne won all three but unlike Geelong it didn't need to win the home and away match as it was three games clear on top of the ladder.

A Geelong loss to Hawthorn in the last round of 1963 would have put the reigning premiers Essendon into the finals for a sem-final against St Kilda and given Melbourne the 'double chance' in a 2nd semi-final against Hawthorn.

The only one of the above that Geelong didn't lose to in 1963 was Hawthorn (2 wins and a draw). The Cats won and lost one against Essendon and St Kilda and lost its only match against Melbourne by 47 points.

RogersResults

You need this book: Classic Cats
Click on the above link to order a copy.
The there was more to the withdrawal from the competition than just travel restrictions.
The motion "to include Geelong in the 1944 fixture" was carried at a meeting of the League with one
dissenting vote and the dissenter wasn't Essendon. (Although it is true that at various times, Essendon was one
of the metropolitan teams that complained about having to travel to Geelong for matches.)
The Carlton delegate was the only dissenting vote to the motion that "Geelong be included in the 1944 fixture".
There were also suggestions that Geelong should play 'home' matches at a ground in Melbourne as restrictions on
travel (not the only reason that Geelong withdrew) were as bad or worse than they were in 1942.
thanks for that!:thumbsu:

Maybe her memory was a bit hazy (she was only 11 after allo_O), i had no idea as I definitely wasn't born yet.

Looking at that year 1944, A victory in the 5th last round against Hawthorn single handedly helped geelong avoid the ignominy of an Imperfect season.... so thanks hawks.:thumbsu:

Round 13 that year, there was the largest winning margin of 2 teams finishing on the same amount of goals, 22 points by South Melbourne 8.30.78 over Geelong 8.8.56. Also in the same round there is the only instance of a side kicking 3 fewer goals and winning NM 11.21.87 def Richmond 14.2.86, and Richmond secured the minor premiership by the narrowest margin in VFL/AFL history .06%

(Log in to remove this ad.)

RogersResults

Premiership Player
May 7, 2009
Wagga Wagga
thanks for that!:thumbsu:

Maybe her memory was a bit hazy (she was only 11 after allo_O), i had no idea as I definitely wasn't born yet.

Looking at that year 1944, A victory in the 5th last round against Hawthorn single handedly helped geelong avoid the ignominy of an Imperfect season.... so thanks hawks.:thumbsu:

Round 13 that year, there was the largest winning margin of 2 teams finishing on the same amount of goals, 22 points by South Melbourne 8.30.78 over Geelong 8.8.56. Also in the same round there is the only instance of a side kicking 3 fewer goals and winning NM 11.21.87 def Richmond 14.2.86, and Richmond secured the minor premiership by the narrowest margin in VFL/AFL history .06%
When Geelong with four other teams withdrew from the competition in 1916 during World War One for 'patriotic' reasons, an Essendon official expressed the opinion that it would be a good idea if Geelong stayed out permanently. The idea that Essendon 'voted' against or opposed Geelong's re-entry in 1944 may go back to the events of 1916.

As there were no transport restrictions during WWI and unlike WWII, no military and civil conscription, there was was reason to not compete other than a moral one. Geelong rejoined in 1917 in case if they stayed out any longer, they mightn't get back in. Essendon stayed out for the 1917 season but returned in 1918. Only the Melbourne Cricket Club football club (Melbourne's official name) stayed out until the war was over, returning in 1919.

The M.C.C membership was traditionally conservative and 'establishment' and looked to British Empire interests as coming first. The clubs that played in 1916 had working class roots and membership plus a larger proportion of members with Irish Catholic heritage who thought that there was conspicuous hypocrisy in Britain have gone to war because of Germany's violation of Belgium's neutrality while engaging in the suppression of Irish independence. The 1916 VFL season was preceded that year by the failed 'Easter Rebellion' in Ireland.

Good observation that two unique scoring events occurred in the same round in 1944. The nearest to winning with 3 fewer goals was Carlton 9.25-79 vs Footscray 12.7-79 in round 7 1935, Essendon 7.27-69 vs Melbourne 10.9-69 in the 1948 Grand Final and Hawthorn 9.21-75 vs Essendon 12.4-76 in round 5 1961.

The next biggest wins just in behinds were both Geelong wins: 4.23-47 vs Melbourne 4.2-26 in round 16 1913 and 10.25-85 vs Footscray 10.4-64 in round 3 1963.

Note: There is no such thing as the 'minor premiership'. The title was abolished by the League well over a century ago and never reinstated. This rather ridiculous and meaningless title seems to come make a comeback in recent years. Nobody who finished on top of the ladder and loses the Grand Final (or like Geelong in 1980, doesn't make the Grand Final), says, "Yeah, but we are the 'minor premiers'." See: Myth of the Minor Premiers

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
Note: There is no such thing as the 'minor premiership'. The title was abolished by the League well over a century ago and never reinstated. This rather ridiculous and meaningless title seems to come make a comeback in recent years. Nobody who finished on top of the ladder and loses the Grand Final (or like Geelong in 1980, doesn't make the Grand Final), says, "Yeah, but we are the 'minor premiers'." See: Myth of the Minor Premiers

I found this paragraph could be applied to the football media (and to be fair, a lot of us fans) in 2014 and you wouldn't need to change a word:

"One would have thought that after all these years there would not be such ignorance as seems
to exist on this and other subjects connected with the game.
"

Written in September 1926.

Goggin Our Best

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2011
sydney
AFL Club
Geelong
The only one of the above that Geelong didn't lose to in 1963 was Hawthorn (2 wins and a draw). The Cats won and lost one against Essendon and St Kilda and lost its only match against Melbourne by 47 points.[/QUOTE]

Its all water under the bridge now - but i heard Barassi in an interview - or read a quote from him in a book - that in 63 he thought Melbourne were a certainty to win the premiership in 63 - because they had Geelongs measure - but Barassi got suspended for 4 weeks in the final home and away game( and missed all finals) for striking Roger Dean of Richmond - and they reckon Dean staged the incident

Roger Dean was a bit like Hayden Ballantyne - a bit of a prickly customer - but alot more vicious - youd nearly excuse someone striking Dean - back in those days

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
Its all water under the bridge now - but i heard Barassi in an interview - or read a quote from him in a book - that in 63 he thought Melbourne were a certainty to win the premiership in 63 - because they had Geelongs measure - but Barassi got suspended for 4 weeks in the final home and away game( and missed all finals) for striking Roger Dean of Richmond - and they reckon Dean staged the incident

Roger Dean was a bit like Hayden Ballantyne - a bit of a prickly customer - but alot more vicious - youd nearly excuse someone striking Dean - back in those days

Have never been able to tolerate Barassi. That makes me very happy (if true).

RogersResults

Premiership Player
May 7, 2009
Wagga Wagga
The only one of the above that Geelong didn't lose to in 1963 was Hawthorn (2 wins and a draw). The Cats won and lost one against Essendon and St Kilda and lost its only match against Melbourne by 47 points.

Roger Dean was a bit like Hayden Ballantyne - a bit of a prickly customer - but alot more vicious - youd nearly excuse someone striking Dean - back in those days[/QUOTE]
General opinion of Melbourne supporters at the time. They believed that the lack of Barassi (suspended for striking Dean in round 17) in the team that fell short by 9 points against Hawthorn in the Preliminary Final cost them the chance to knock Geelong off in the Grand Final. But they couldn't beat Hawthorn in round 13 with Barassi.

A popular conspiracy theory was that players in teams not able to make the finals could be paid to provoke star players in teams heading for the finals to commit a reportable offence. Hard evidence was always scant and the 'star' always had the choice of not retaliating. Like most conspiracies theories without any actual evidence, the are excuses for or cover-ups of incompetence.

Hawthorn also lost its main goalkicker John Peck and main thug Des Dickson through suspension for the vital round 18 clash with Geelong. But Peck's return for the Grand Final still didn't get them even near Geelong.

The actual outcomes of "what ifs" are unknowable.

Goggin Our Best

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2011
sydney
AFL Club
Geelong
Hawthorn also lost its main goalkicker John Peck and main thug Des Dickson through suspension for the vital round 18 clash with Geelong. But Peck's return for the Grand Final still didn't get them even near Geelong.

The actual outcomes of "what ifs" are unknowable.[/QUOTE]

Couldnt disagree with your description of Delicate Des

Unbelievably Dickson and Billy Goggin are cousins

When Geelong with four other teams withdrew from the competition in 1916 during World War One for 'patriotic' reasons, an Essendon official expressed the opinion that it would be a good idea if Geelong stayed out permanently. The idea that Essendon 'voted' against or opposed Geelong's re-entry in 1944 may go back to the events of 1916.

As there were no transport restrictions during WWI and unlike WWII, no military and civil conscription, there was was reason to not compete other than a moral one. Geelong rejoined in 1917 in case if they stayed out any longer, they mightn't get back in. Essendon stayed out for the 1917 season but returned in 1918. Only the Melbourne Cricket Club football club (Melbourne's official name) stayed out until the war was over, returning in 1919.

The M.C.C membership was traditionally conservative and 'establishment' and looked to British Empire interests as coming first. The clubs that played in 1916 had working class roots and membership plus a larger proportion of members with Irish Catholic heritage who thought that there was conspicuous hypocrisy in Britain have gone to war because of Germany's violation of Belgium's neutrality while engaging in the suppression of Irish independence. The 1916 VFL season was preceded that year by the failed 'Easter Rebellion' in Ireland.

Good observation that two unique scoring events occurred in the same round in 1944. The nearest to winning with 3 fewer goals was Carlton 9.25-79 vs Footscray 12.7-79 in round 7 1935, Essendon 7.27-69 vs Melbourne 10.9-69 in the 1948 Grand Final and Hawthorn 9.21-75 vs Essendon 12.4-76 in round 5 1961.

The next biggest wins just in behinds were both Geelong wins: 4.23-47 vs Melbourne 4.2-26 in round 16 1913 and 10.25-85 vs Footscray 10.4-64 in round 3 1963.

Well you learn something everyday, for as long as I've been alive (which isn't very long;)) it has always been referred to as the minor premiers, anyway I wonder how many points would have been required to alter the outcome of the top team being above 2nd at the end of the H&A season given a margin of .6%?

Was that at the Victoria Hotel in Moorabool Street Geelong? I ask as I am not sure that a Victoria Hotel existed in Geelong in 1859.
Or was it the Victoria Hotel in Little Collins Street Melbourne?

Rankin_1925

Club Legend
Jul 17, 2014
Sydanee
AFL Club
Geelong
Great photo. Can anyone guess the year?

I'll Round 1, 1987. Ablett looks like he's got a beard and he had one early that season. Terry Bright is still playing (number 4) so that narrows it down too.
Think you might be right. Looks like he is in the process of kicking one of his two goals for the day (from his 8 kicks, 2 marks and 0 handballs).

The more important stat that I couldn't find the answer to was how many women Trevor Barker and Michael Roberts slayed at the "Saints Disco" that night. Very prominent advertising board in the outer...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back