Official Team Thread Geelong Gumbies S18 Team Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

- Hi SM and welcome to the Gumbies Blue & White Ball.... Its going to be pretty exciting isn't it?
Yeah can't wait! I was around for last season's B&F but I was a bit bright eyed back then, this year I have a whole season under my belt so looking forward to see who polls well.

- You did not seem overly happy with your consistency this season but you did finish strongly. How do you think you will go tonight?
To be honest I'm not sure, I definitely stormed home in the last couple of games but I think there were plenty who were more deserving than me.

- Who is your tip for the Best & Fairest the GG Medal? And how many votes will they receive?
I reckon you're a good shout, probably with 45 votes.

- Any outsider with a chance?
Hatchy1992 might surprise a few.

- Are you excited about S19?
I can't wait, absolutely howling to get started.

Give me your top 3 for tonights count
Hard to go past Hatchy, Tayl0r and yourself.

Thanks SM enjoy the night

Our next Award is The Most Improved Player.
This award was voted on by the Leadership Group and goes to a player who has come on from their debut season in S17 and showed true quality when it comes to posting and was rewarded with some prime field positions. Many may not of known this player in S17 but they definitely know who this player is now with some in the Mid Season Survey stating this player is the clubs best poster.

The Most Improved Player for S18 is -

106204.jpg
Hatchy1992

Now back to the count

Round 7: Heritage Round - August 3
East Side Hawks Vs Geelong Gumbies @ Waverley Park
Geelong Gumbies 15.12 (102) defeated East Side Hawks 14.10 (94)

Another game and another victory making it 5 wins in a row in a special 200th game for krisholio14. The club proudly wore the Heritage Jumper designed by Fizzler as we defeated the Hawks by 8 points. We had some outstanding contributions from GETSOMENUTS who had 32 possessions in the ruck, Tayl0r put in her best display this season with 23 touches and 7 marks and she capped it off with 2 vital goals, A Bit High lifted and produced 27 disposals and 7 tackles, SM had his best game this season with 26 touches and 7 tackles, grimlock had 20 possessions and 11 marks, SOPH_CROSS had 24. Mr CONSISTANT Mr Gor racked up 26 touches, apollo_creed continues to grow in this side with 23 disposals but all and all it was a collective group that got us over the line in this Epic battle.

Round 7
5- A Bit High
4- Tayl0r
3- GETSOMENUTS
2- Mr Gor
1- SM

LEADERBOARD
25- GSN
19- Mr Gor
17 - ABH
16- Hatchy
12- Tayls
4- SOPH
4- typeclub
3- apollo
2- krisholio14
2- SM
1- Bucketss

Round 8 - August 10
Coney Island Warriors Vs Geelong Gumbies @ Van Cortlandt Park
Geelong Gumbies 15.9 (99) defeated Coney Island Warriors 13.9 (87)

A victory against top of the table Warriors was our 6th in a row and had the competition stand and take note. From losing the opening 2 games of the season we were now looking like a top 4 side and a premiership threat.
We had contributions all over the park. Hatchy1992 was having a breakout season both on and off the field amassing 26 possessions, Tayl0r had a tough week in the match thread but come out on top with 22 touches, Mr Gor continued to have his own football gathering 32 disposals GETSOMENUTS had a ding dong battle in the Ruck and come out on top with 15 HO and 19 touches, A Bit High was in a run of form with 28 possessions and SM had been building and got back to his brilliant best with 24 disposals and 10 tackles. DREAM TEAM BUFF and Bucketss kicked 3 vital goals a piece.

Round 8
5- SM
4- A Bit High
3- Mr Gor
2- Hatchy1992
1- Tayl0r

LEADERBOARD
25- GSN
22- Mr Gor
21 - ABH
18- Hatchy
13- Tayls
7- SM
4- SOPH
4- typeclub
3- apollo
2- krisholio14
1- Bucketss

Round 9 - August 17
Geelong Gumbies Vs Gold City Royals @ The House of Gumby
Geelong Gumbies 20.14 (134) defeated Gold City Royals 15.13 (103)

7 Wins in a row and this place was jumping. It was 50 games to Tayl0r and yet another victory and life was good at The House of Gumby. Tayl0r was simply on fire with 33 possession, 8 marks and 2 goals, SOPH_CROSS again showed she can mix it up On & Off the field with 22 disposals and 6 marks. Bucketss was sensational at FF kicking 7 majors, GETSOMENUTS got off the hospital bed to dominate in the ruck with 14 HO, 27 touches and 4 goals. Skipper A Bit High continued his recent form with 30 possessions and 6 tackles.

Round 9
5- Tayl0r
4- A Bit High
3- GETSOMENUTS
2- Bucketss
1- SOPH_CROSS

LEADERBOARD
28- GSN
25 - ABH
22- Mr Gor
18- Hatchy
18- Tayls
7- SM
5- SOPH
4- typeclub
3- apollo
3- Bucketss
2- krisholio14

So we are just over the half way mark in the count and things are heating up. A Bit High had a solid 3 weeks and has closed the gap from 10 votes to 3 on GETSOMENUTS with Mr Gor, Hatchy1992 and Tayl0r all within striking distance.

It looks like one of this group will be taking home the GG Medal......But which one?

The next Award is the Winty2ninty Medal presented to the Clubs Leading Goalkicker. The award goes to DREAM TEAM BUFF who kicked 43 goals 22 for the home & away season, a fantastic achievement considering he went to the goal square very late on in the season.

Well done DTB.

113063.jpg
DREAM TEAM BUFF

- Hi Hatchy1992 and welcome to the Gumbies Blue & White Ball....
It's great to celebrate a really successful season on and off the field with the rest of the teamates and our loyal fans. I'm sure there'll be a few drinks to be had tonight, I see SM is on to the hard stuff already. It's good to see everyone here tonight along with their better halves. Looking around I think they may have outdone the players tonight in the fashion stakes. I mean you just have to look as far as Bucketts over there. See what I mean? I think we as players had better stick with playing football.(laughing)

- You're one of the favourites, are you nervous?
I'm always nervous on a night like this! Nah but mate to be honest, I haven't come into this night with the mindset of being a big chance. Anyone who wins the award will have deserved it. There's many candidates tonight. Tayl0r has had a really good season on and off the field as has yourself. Everyone has played their part to make this season successful. I'm just happy to be recognised as having a really consistent season.

- You had an excellent season on the wing and then finished well in the Ruck. You would have to be pleased with your season?
Personally i'm really happy with how the season turned out for me. I really enjoyed playing along the centreline and adding to the linkup play. Consistency for me was one of the big things I wanted to add to this season and I felt I did that. Being able to add ruckwork to my bow was a really big honour and i'm thankful to yourself and GETSOMENUTS for giving me that chance.

- Who is your tip for the Best & Fairest the GG Medal? And how many votes will they receive?
Our esteemed Captain A Bit High is my tip tonight. He's led this great side for many years and did it with greatness this season, He was a big part in our bid for the title. Reckon 40+ votes will be enough for him.

- Any roughie with a chance?
Dream Team Buff I think might be in with a chance. The Gumbies leading goalscorer and the defensive pressure he put on was immense for us.

- Are you excited about S19?
I'm really excited for what next season brings. We have a good squad on and off the pitch with a terrific leadership group. I see great things coming for this squad. We have great team morale and ability on the field. It's an honor to play alongside a terrific bunch of people and hopefully we can add a few more titles over the next few years.

Give me your top 3 for tonights count
Top 3 tonight for mine is A Bit High, Tayl0r and Mr Gor.All 3 have had terrific seasons and have really been recognised within the wider SFA community.

Thanks Hatchy1992 and enjoy the count

Round 10: Part 1 - August 24 (SPLIT ROUND)
Geelong Gumbies Vs The Roys @ The House of Gumby
Geelong Gumbies 13.8 (86) lost to The Roys 19.10 (124)

The run had come to an end with a humbling 38 point loss to the Roys. We did have some solid performances with Hatchy1992 collecting 20 disposals Tayl0r gathered 17 and Mr Gor 18 but between the 3 they also gave away 11 free kicks in a most uncharacteristic display. GETSOMENUTS continued to be a dominant ruck in the competition with 15 HO, 19 disposals and 3 goals. A Bit High tried to lead by example with team high 25 possessions and Fizzler worked hard off the backline with 17 touches but unfortunately we had many down on the usual team effort.

Round 10
5- A Bit High
4- GETSOMENUTS
3- SM
2- Hatchy1992
1- Tayl0r

LEADERBOARD
32- GSN
30 - ABH
22- Mr Gor
20- Hatchy
19- Tayls
10- SM
5- SOPH
4- typeclub
3- apollo
3- Bucketss
2- krisholio14

Round 11 - September 7
West Coast Wonders Vs Geelong Gumbies @ The Colosseum
Geelong Gumbies 16.8 (104) lost to West Coast Wonders 21.9 (135)

A shock loss to lowly ranked Wonders saw the club lose its 2nd in a row with many questioning if the club had simply run out of steam and if it had the character to lift. Good players were few and far between this week which was unusual for us this season. GETSOMENUTS battled hard with 25 disposals, Hatchy1992 had 24 and A Bit High tried all day with 19 touches, 14 tackles and 3 goals. While DREAM TEAM BUFF and grimlock booted 4 each.

Round 11
5- A Bit High
4- GETSOMENUTS
3- DREAM TEAM BUFF
2- Hatchy1992
1- apollo_creed

LEADERBOARD
36- GSN
35 - ABH
22- Mr Gor
22- Hatchy
19- Tayls
10- SM
5- SOPH
4- typeclub
4- apollo
3- Bucketss
3- DTB
2- krisholio14

Round 12 Rivalry Round - September 14
Fighting Furies Vs Geelong Gumbies @ Punt Road Oval
Geelong Gumbies 16.7 (103) defeated Fighting Furies 14.16 (100)

What a better way to lift the club than a stirring victory against the Furies in Rivalry Round. This was a hard fought victory with many of the leaders of the club stepping up when it counted most. Fizzler was excellent across half back with 17 touches, Bucketss was terrific with 19 disposals and 2 valuable goals, Hawthorn United had 16 possessions, apollo_creed looked at home at CHB with 17 touches, Hatchy1992 continued his consistant season with another 20 while Tayl0r was superb with 23 disposals and 2 goals. DREAM TEAM BUFF kicked 4 goals, and grimlock 3, SM had a brutal 9 tackles while GETSOMENUTS with 25 touches and A Bit High with 27 led the way for a team building victory.

Round 12
5- A Bit High
4- Tayl0r
3- GETSOMENUTS
2- SM
1- DREAM TEAM BUFF

LEADERBOARD
40 - ABH
39- GSN
23 - Tayls
22- Mr Gor
22- Hatchy
12- SM
5- SOPH
4- typeclub
4- apollo
4- DTB
3- Bucketss
2- krisholio14

So with 12 Rounds down we have a new leader. A Bit High holds the slenderest of leads over GETSOMENUTS with a gap now emerging back to Tayl0r, Mr Gor and Hatchy1992. Is it a race in 2 or will someone from that chasing pack have a run home that snatches the GG Medal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In S17 the then Leadership Group got together and the idea of Legend StFly being recognised for his contribution to the club was mentioned. Fittingly the group unanimously agreed that the Best Clubman Award be named in his honour, an honour that StFly greatly and humbly accepted.

The StFly Medal is awarded to the Best Clubman who was deemed by his peers to be the player who put the most effort into the club Off the field. The winner of the StFly Medal for the 2nd year running is A Bit High.

From generating team thread interest with items such as "The Music Tribute Thread", "Studs & Duds" and "In The Spotlight" to general house keeping and making sure the club is in a healthy position ABH has dedicated many hours to have the club in a strong position for the future. Well done ABH.

36994.jpg
A Bit High

Round 13 - September 21
Alberton Swamprats Vs Geelong Gumbies @ Alberton Oval
Geelong Gumbies 19.16. (130) defeated Alberton Swamprats 15.9 (99)

We were now top of the SFA ladder and had many who contributed to a solid 31 point victory. This had been a major benefit to our side to have such an even contribution. Tayl0r was outstanding with 31 touches as was Hatchy1992 who collected 26. SelwoodTaylor and A Bit High both gathered 18 possessions with the skipper havinig 7 tackles. SM also had 7 tackles along with 19 disposals. grimlock could have had a huge game if the kicking boot was on. He kicked 2-6 and was a constant thorn in the Swampies side. krisholio14 kicked 4 and SOPH_CROSS kicked 3.

Round 13
5- Tayl0r
4- SM
3- Hatchy1992
2- A Bit High
1- Spanna65

LEADERBOARD
42 - ABH
39- GSN
28 - Tayls
25- Hatchy
22- Mr Gor
16- SM
5- SOPH
4- typeclub
4- apollo
4- DTB
3- Bucketss
2- krisholio14
1- Spanna65

Round 14 - September 27
Geelong Gumbies Vs Baghdad Bombers @ The House of Gumby
Geelong Gumbies 13.4 (82) defeated Baghdad Bombers 10.8 (68)

The team had clinched a finals birth for S18. During a 24 hours that plenty had occurred at the club we won this one for GETSOMENUTS who had informed us he could not contribute as he had in the past with RL making way. We placed the ever reliable Tayl0r into the Vice Captaincy role and boy weren't we on fire early with our 6 goal to 1 first term paving the way for our victory and while the Bandits did come at us, we steadied when it mattered and reversed our round 1 result to claim a 14 point victory.

Conditions were pretty tough given the rain so the usual 20+ touches did not occur but we did have several players who did plenty to get us over the line. On a day where goals were hard to come by DREAM TEAM BUFF kicking 4 straight was invaluable. Hatchy1992 continued his consistent season with a Gumbie high 19 disposal and a fantastic 8 marks in greasy conditions. Mr Gor and A Bit High collected 18 possessions, Bucketss got 17 and Spanna65 collected 16 touches.

Round 14
5- Hatchy1992
4- DREAM TEAM BUFF
3- Spanna65
2- Bucketss
1- Mr Gor

Leaderboard
42 - ABH
39- GSN
30- Hatchy
28 - Tayls
23- Mr Gor
16- SM
8- DTB
5- SOPH
5- Bucketss
4- typeclub
4- apollo
4- Spanna
2- krisholio14

Round 15 - October 5
Geelong Gumbies Vs Dragons FFC @ The House of Gumby
Geelong Gumbies 17.8 (110) defeated Dragons FFC 15.16 (106)

What a cracking come back team. A fitting way to celebrate peterss 200th game. Outstanding belief was amongst the group as we made some team changes which could have disrupted us as players found their feet but they paid off. We moved Hatchy1992 into the Ruck, GETSOMENUTS to HBF and Spanna65 to the Wing with immediate effect.

We started slowly and had a mountain to climb when we were 38 points down at half time. We clawed our way back into it during the 3rd to trail by 21 points but still had a lot to do but we never gave in. We dug deep and kept pushing the ball forward and finally we edged ourselves in front courtesy of a DREAM TEAM BUFF special.

GETSOMENUTS bounced back with true grit and controlled the back half with 21 possessions, Spanna65 looked right at home on the wing with 22 touches, another HBF in apollo_creed put together a solid 22 disposals, in his first ever game in the ruck Hatchy1992 got the better of 2 opponents with 16 possessions and 17 hitouts. Match winning hero DREAM TEAM BUFF kicked 5 goals including "That" goal, swannies collected 20 disposals and A Bit High put in a Captains effort with 22 touches and 8 tackles.

Round 15
5- A Bit High
4- Hatchy1992
3- Spanna65
2- DREAM TEAM BUFF
1- swannies

Leaderboard
47 - ABH
39- GSN
34- Hatchy
28 - Tayls
23- Mr Gor
16- SM
10- DTB
7- Spanna65
5- SOPH
5- Bucketss
4- typeclub
4- apollo
2- krisholio14
1- swannies

So with 2 Rounds remaining the Skipper holds an 8 vote lead with 10 votes maximum to be won. Will he hold his nerve in the final rounds or will GSN come and snatch the GG Medal.

Only these 2 can win the award so who will it be??

Next award is The Players Player of the Year.

This was voted on in a 3-2-1 system by a Board made up of selected members of the squad and was purely around Sim Stats.

The winner of the Players Player of the Year goes to

36994.jpg
A Bit High

Votes
ABH - 13
Hatchy1992 - 12
Tayl0r - 4
Mr Gor - 3
GSN - 2
SM - 2

Next award is The Players Player of the Year.

This was voted on in a 3-2-1 system by a Board made up of selected members of the squad and was purely around Sim Stats.

The winner of the Players Player of the Year goes to

36994.jpg
A Bit High

Votes
ABH - 13
Hatchy1992 - 12
Tayl0r - 4
Mr Gor - 3
GSN - 2
SM - 2

Whoever voted for me was very kind lol.

Now back to the count

Round 16 - October 12
Geelong Gumbies Vs Las Vegas Bears @ The House of Gumby
Geelong Gumbies 19.5 (119) defeated Las Vegas Bears 13.5 (83)
****Minor Premiership Clinched****

It was top versus bottom so a danger game for the club. Win and we clinched the Minor Premiership and we had many fine contributors in our 36 point win. Spanna65 put in another solid performance on the wing with 21 disposals krisholio14 was outstanding with 24 possessions, Hatchy1992 looked extremely comfortable in the Ruck role with 22 touches and 13 hitouts, swannies was dominant with 23 disposals, DREAM TEAM BUFF kicked 4, peterss kicked 3 and SM showed he was in for a big finals campaign with 22 possessions and 9 tackles and 3 goals.

Round 16
5- SM
4- Hatchy1992
3- Spanna65
2- krisholio14
1- swannies

Leaderboard
47 - ABH
39- GSN
38- Hatchy
28 - Tayls
23- Mr Gor
21- SM
10- DTB
10- Spanna65
5- SOPH
5- Bucketss
4- typeclub
4- apollo
4- krisholio14
2- swannies

Round 17 - October 19
Geelong Gumbies Vs East Side Hawks @ The House of Gumby
Geelong Gumbies 15.19.109 lost to East Side Hawks 18.8.116

In a game of little significance to our ladder position we met a team desperate to win to clinch a finals spot. In a nutshell the Hawks wanted it more and deserved the win. We had some outstanding contributors DREAM TEAM BUFF nearly won it off his own boot but possibly lost it also with 7 goals and 7 behinds. Spanna65 had 31 disposal with 20 handballs to be at his creative best across the middle. Hatchy1992 again was solid in the ruck with 12 hit outs and 22 possessions, the skipper battled all day with 35 touches and 9 tackles and a whopping 136 DT points.

Round 17
5- A Bit High
4- DREAM TEAM BUFF
3- Spanna65
2- Hatchy1992
1- Tayl0r

Leaderboard
52 - ABH
40- Hatchy
39- GSN
28 - Tayls
24- Mr Gor
21- SM
14- DTB
13- Spanna65
5- SOPH
5- Bucketss
4- typeclub
4- apollo
4- krisholio14
2- swannies

WINNER of the GG Medal -

36994.jpg
A Bit High

Well what a night for ABH. The StFly Medal, The Players Player of the Year and now the GG Medal for the Fairest and Best, true reward for all the effort he has put into the club since the club looked in trouble at the start of S17. The Geelong Gumbies will miss him dearly.

Ladies and Gentleman, charge your glass and be up standing for the winner of the S18 GG Medal - A Bit High.

400261-2d93484a-4a3b-11e4-997c-82cb5bb9705e.jpg

Next up the Captains Closing Speech

Well what a night for ABH. The StFly Medal, The Players Player of the Year and now the GG Medal for the Fairest and Best, true reward for all the effort he has put into the club since the club looked in trouble at the start of S17. The Geelong Gumbies will miss him dearly.

Ladies and Gentleman, charge your glass and be up standing for the winner of the S18 GG Medal - A Bit High.

400261-2d93484a-4a3b-11e4-997c-82cb5bb9705e.jpg

Next up the Captains Closing Speech
Rigged.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back