Official Team Thread Geelong Gumbies Season 17 Team Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I think my taste will be alot different to alot of you others. Apparently i've always had a weird taste in music:p

I almost picked "Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy" and "The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars".

I almost picked "Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy" and "The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars".
Had to youtube them to find out what they were.

I'll go with - Nickelback: All the Right Reasons.

Nickelback was one of the bands that jigged up my music following in the first place. Some of the songs in the album are their best songs created.

GETSOMENUTS

Last edited:

Tossing up quite a few here. Do I pick the first one I ever got which was Michael Jackson Thriller, do I go with something AC/DC, Live's Throwing Copper is brilliant as well but in the end I went with my favourite band of all time; The Darkness and their debut album Permission to Land.
41X52ZPCVAL.jpg

1."Black Shuck" 3:20
2."Get Your Hands off My Woman" 2:46
3."Growing on Me" 3:29
4."I Believe in a Thing Called Love" 3:36
5."Love Is Only a Feeling" 4:19
6."Givin' Up" 3:34
7."Stuck in a Rut" 3:17
8."Friday Night" 2:56
9."Love on the Rocks with No Ice" 5:56
10."Holding My Own"

While some will only know the main hits "Love is only a feeling" and "I believe in a thing called love", this album features not one track that isnt hard rocking goodness. With their awesome riffs and some lyrical gymnastics from great man Justin Hawkins and song lyrics with double meanings, this album should be in everyones collection.
"Love on the rocks with no ice" is probably the hardest rocking on the album, but "I believe in a thing called love" is a favourite for drunken sing alongs.
I have seen em twice in Melbourne and the live show is just as good as what you get on the record. In the words of the great Molly Meldrum "Do yourself a favour and get it" :thumbsu:

Had to youtube them to find out what they were.

I'll go with - Nickelback: All the Right Reasons.

Nickelback was one of the bands that jigged up my music following in the first place. Some of the songs in the album are their best songs created.

GETSOMENUTS

Congrats for admitting to it. I actually quite like them but of course the popular mentality is that no one likes them.

Best album is bloody hard, so many great albums to choose from and hard to not let recent favourites blur my taste.

I did a top 20 countdown on FB a year or so back so I'll hunt that down and pick my favourite from that.

Ok, I can't find them for some reason, so I'll just go with:

Hot Fuss - The Killers

Just hit after hit. Kind of depressing how much the band tailed off after such a great debut album.

going through my ipod, there's 2 albums i can't really pick between. for the mere impact it had, Kanye West's 'My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy' stands out, but I think personally, at least for the moment, I'm gonna go with Lupe Fiasco's 'The Cool'

again, not expecting this to be popular among the rest of you, but in the spirit of the game it all counts, right??

i tend to like rappers/songs that stray from the cliche of "money cars n hoes", and Lupe personifies that, especially in 'The Cool'. He's changed a little over the years - becoming a little more jaded - but his early work was top notch in detailing the plight of modern day youths and their thirst for "money cars n hoes" aka, trying to be cool and live up to the stereotype. Masterful lyricist who was a genius with metaphors and wordplay that disarmed the listener. Lots of different vertsatile sounds on the album too which is always good.

i'll link a song that from it that I think most will know and like

and maybe one with a touch of rock for those looking to make a transition....

i think next up is BoshtrichBurger

let's see how closely related we really are!

just realised in that post i sound like a real hipster. "i know this is different" "you probably won't like it" "i don't like the usual rap stuff" :oops:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kanye and Lupe are cool. I'm coming round to Kanye's more alternate stuff like on Yeezus - which oddly is now more mainstream haha but sounds completely different to his actual mainstream stuff.

That Lupe song takes me back to Year 10.. so friggin long ago!

The_Ecstatic.jpg

Mos Def - The Ecstatic

Without a doubt (okay some doubt), he is my favourite hip hop artist OF ALL TIME!!!!1!!!!!!!1111

His debut album Black on Both Sides spawned great hits like Mathematics and Hip Hop, and is generally viewed as his best album. I disagree, though, and I generally go against the grain when it comes to this topic, because I reckon his efforts on The Ecstatic were some of his best work lyrically and the beats produced by the late J Dilla (R.I.P.), Madlib etc etc. just accompany Mos's flow very well. All in all it's a very well crafted hip hop album. One of my favourites. So easy to listen to and chill back with.
Code:
No. Title                                     Producer(s)                                                     Length
1.  "Supermagic"                              Oh No                                                           2:32
2.  "Twilite Speedball"                       Chad Hugo; Mos Def (co)                                         3:02
3.  "Auditorium" (featuring Slick Rick)       Madlib; Mos Def (co)                                            4:34
4.  "Wahid"                                   Madlib                                                          1:39
5.  "Priority"                                Preservation for Preserved Productions                          1:22
6.  "Quiet Dog Bite Hard"                     Preservation for Preserved Productions                          2:57
7.  "Life in Marvelous Times"                 Mr. Flash                                                       3:41
8.  "The Embassy"                             Mr. Flash; Mos Def (co)                                         2:45
9.  "No Hay Nada Mas"                         Preservation for Preserved Productions                          1:42
10. "Pistola"                                 Oh No                                                           3:02
11. "Pretty Dancer"                           Madlib                                                          3:31
12. "Workers Comp."                           Mr. Flash                                                       2:02
13. "Revelations"                             Madlib                                                          2:03
14. "Roses" (featuring Georgia Anne Muldrow)  Georgia Anne Muldrow                                            3:41
15. "History" (featuring Talib Kweli)         J Dilla                                                         2:21
16. "Casa Bey"                                MV Bill, Mos Def; Preservation for Preserved Productions (co)   4:32

Favourite track:

Auditorium ft. Slick Rick

It's not your conventional hip hop, that's for sure. However it's a sonic boom for me each time I spin this s**t.

typeclub feel free to join in our Music Tribute below. We have only done the Best Live Album & Best Album.

Jump on in!

Best Live Album
Best Album
Best Australian Album
Best Male Solo Album
Best Band
Best Rock/Metal Album
Best 70's Album
Best 80's Album
Best 90's Album
Best Female Solo Album

When picking your "Best" in the category you name the Band and the Album (if applies) and then pick a youtube clip from that album of a song you think is the best song. Once an album has been selected that album can not be chosen again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back