List Mgmt. Geelong Interested in Carlton's Lachie Henderson

Do you want Lachie Henderson at the cats?

• Yes

Votes: 49 66.2%
  • No

Votes: 13 17.6%
  • Maybe

Votes: 12 16.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Point is Geelong has played 3 KPD's for a long time and the other 2 who are not Taylor will be gone within 18 months (hence why we went after Frawley) so there is plenty of room for Taylor and Henderson regardless of which one is FB and which one is CHB.
Yes I know that. There is a spot at full back although to be honest he is just an average player. Would hope we have a higher standard then Henderson.

when we already have a bloke good enough to be playing the position, but is getting overlooked, what hope is there left for the supporters?
May as well go for a quality defender in Henderson. There's nothing else out there unless we blood our own (as we use to do).

I think it depends on what else happens with FA, for example if we were to get Danger or Scooter as FA then that is the quality mid and makes trading our the first rounder not as much of an issue.

I also think our stock of young 1-4 year players is actually quite good, the problem is we don't have quality in the 24-26 age bracket which is why Selwood and Hawkins carry the team, so at least guys like Danger and Scooter and Henderson are in the right age bracket of guys we should be targeting (as was Stanley albeit that I think we overpaid for him).

Is it realistic to think we could land both Dangerfield AND S.Selwood though? Ill be pleasantly surprised if we could grab one let alone both. If you are on the money and we do get both, then trading our first rounder would be perfectly acceptable.

Is it realistic to think we could land both Dangerfield AND S.Selwood though? Ill be pleasantly surprised if we could grab one let alone both. If you are on the money and we do get both, then trading our first rounder would be perfectly acceptable.
It would be amazing if it happens. Get in a CHB and two midfielders. And sees our 24-26 years olds go from 2 last year to 7 next. :thumbsu:
As an aside it wouldn't cost much (contract wise) to get Selwood so I don't think him coming to the club has any relation to the Danger deal.

Yes I know that. There is a spot at full back although to be honest he is just an average player. Would hope we have a higher standard then Henderson.
LH is currently in excellent form; average is not applicable to Henderson.

Something to be said for known commodities. Looking at all the future guns playing for the suns reminds me that every pick is a mystery dip.
Do you think GWS have gone about it in a better way than GC by not recruiting the 'superstar' midfielder (although Ward is very good)? Their players appear to have learnt to play the game properly, have learnt to get their own ball (Sheedy would have helped in that regard too) yet here we are 5 years down the track and the suns time and time again show they struggle to win without GAJ.

McKenna might have a bit of a smug smile right about now;)...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GWS have turned their list over much better. They have been much more aggressive and pragmatic.

The Suns of held onto blokes for too long and been unwilling to trade (Caddy is the perfect example).

GWS on the other hand have been content to turn their list over get new early picks in. And spread the age profile.

They also go the right old blokes in - their older blokes that are leaders - or at least have a bit of lip about them; Mumford, Shaw etc rather than the fat eunuchs of the Suns, Harbrow etc. They also went slightly younger and cleverer than the Suns, Ward and Davis have been inspired pics. Rather than the likes of Campell Brown and Bock.

and after 2-3 years they then went for the experienced players to complement their youth like Patful, Shaw, Hunt (not great results) and Griffen. the one thing I've noticed is every time GWS play Sydney in the NEAFL, well the last couple of years they've been thrashing them. Good signs for the future for them.

It's obvious what GWS have been doing with the extra million and 10 players on their list. Suns * knows.

Do you think GWS have gone about it in a better way than GC by not recruiting the 'superstar' midfielder (although Ward is very good)? Their players appear to have learnt to play the game properly, have learnt to get their own ball (Sheedy would have helped in that regard too) yet here we are 5 years down the track and the suns time and time again show they struggle to win without GAJ.

McKenna might have a bit of a smug smile right about now;)...

I have probably flip flopped a bit , I can remember my attitude from day one... but I have thought both clubs have been greedy in the way they have tried to assemble a recruiters wet dream of a list. I could imagine them setting around with notes books..at the champs.. I like this kid , and this one and this one...imagine if I could get them all. And so we have the great experiment.

And different recruiters have personal tastes. ScottClayton tend to like those outside skilled guys , yet it looks the guys at GWS (Sos?) really went the tough inside guys first and big KPF's. Ablett was a very good get , and helped them early. Scully was a huge mistake. GWS had u17 kids to trade and GC got a couple and added Omera and Martin. Both have struggled but since the final recognition of a need to balance the age of has happened at GWS.. they look far better. Mumford , Griffen , Shaw etc.

Ablett was a very good get , and helped them early. Scully was a huge mistake.
You know what Turbo in some respects this is 100% wrong. One club grew to rely on one guy to win them games one club couldn't and just look at how the rest of the lists of the respective clubs have responded.

You know what Turbo in some respects this is 100% wrong. One club grew to rely on one guy to win them games one club couldn't and just look at how the rest of the lists of the respective clubs have responded.

I can see that argument. The reliance on Ablett debate is the same as the debate we had within our club in the 90's.
But the players they have put around him are a little to nice. Not all Prestia would look and work well at GWS. And wasting that much money on Scully was certifiable. He is at best a good player in their side.

And wasting that much money on Scully was certifiable. He is at best a good player in their side.
That pain is done though. He was on 6 million instead of Ablett's 10 million. And most of that would have been paid in his first year. So they won't be paying for it now and the future.

I have probably flip flopped a bit , I can remember my attitude from day one... but I have thought both clubs have been greedy in the way they have tried to assemble a recruiters wet dream of a list. I could imagine them setting around with notes books..at the champs.. I like this kid , and this one and this one...imagine if I could get them all. And so we have the great experiment.

And different recruiters have personal tastes. ScottClayton tend to like those outside skilled guys , yet it looks the guys at GWS (Sos?) really went the tough inside guys first and big KPF's. Ablett was a very good get , and helped them early. Scully was a huge mistake. GWS had u17 kids to trade and GC got a couple and added Omera and Martin. Both have struggled but since the final recognition of a need to balance the age of has happened at GWS.. they look far better. Mumford , Griffen , Shaw etc.
That pain is done though. He was on 6 million instead of Ablett's 10 million. And most of that would have been paid in his first year. So they won't be paying for it now and the future.

I don't think that the Scully pick up was a waste, if they could have of got better they would have, and since there list was full of first and second year players they had a lot of cap space to fill up that was going to be thrown away if they didn't spend it. They would have had around 30 players on the basic player wage, a salary cap with $1 million extra and COLA on top of that.

Scully, Ward, Palmer and Davis's contracts would have been heavily front loaded. He'd be on around 500k in his last few years of the contract.

I don't think that the Scully pick up was a waste, if they could have of got better they would have, and since there list was full of first and second year players they had a lot of cap space to fill up that was going to be thrown away if they didn't spend it. They would have had around 30 players on the basic player wage, a salary cap with $1 million extra and COLA on top of that.

Scully, Ward, Palmer and Davis's contracts would have been heavily front loaded. He'd be on around 500k in his last few years of the contract.

I disagree on Scully. They could have gotten better if they had not been so greedy. Im not sure he has ever been BOG for them has he? Still it looks like its not a defining choice.

What do you mean by that?

I mean they could have made an offer to many clubs using some of those picks.They had that many of them. I could imagine what Geelong would have said if they had offered 3 picks in top 15 for Chapman or whoever. They threw a heap of money , huge money at a kid...not even a scarce type , a young mid who has proven to be just a good ordinary best 22 player.

Hmm but at the same time why give picks away when any bloke out of contract can walk to the club.

Back