2nds VFL Round 20 - Geelong v Essendon, Simonds Stadium, 7:30PM Friday 22 August

Remove this Banner Ad

119 to 65 final score

Discussing the best and it's hard, Hamling was good, McCarthy really good in the 2nd half at least, Walker and Brown both good. Jansen had a really good last quarter. Smedts found a bit of it but doesn't seem to be up to taking the next step yet. Schroeder and Stringer had a bit of it and the other good players were the non AFL listed I'd say... Holmer, Gleeson etc

Frankston are awful winty. The most amateurish team to make VFL for sometime. Most of their players will be around the corner at Daveys later that night (win, lose or draw) so I'm not expecting them to do us any favors at all unfortunately :(

They can't be too bad, considering they've done something we haven't and beaten Collingwood's VFL side.

Frankston are awful winty. The most amateurish team to make VFL for sometime. Most of their players will be around the corner at Daveys later that night (win, lose or draw) so I'm not expecting them to do us any favors at all unfortunately :(

Might be time for the traditional last round local footy solution.
Offer them an incentive to win, in the form of, say, a dozen barrels.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

cheers Willo_ and winty for the updates, very much appreciated. :thumbsu:

edit : any further thoughts on Hamling's game, when you get a chance?

It looks like Hamling has been told to back himself in to go for his marks in defense rather than just punch. He will still punch the ball at times but he still flies for the contested mark. I still do not think that he is a KPD but he looks the likely choice to take Andrew Mackie's 3rd tall position when Mackie pulls the pin.
The thing with Hamling is that when he takes a mark he will often play straight on and attack.

if frankston win 72-71 we are in. and im going to assume the scoreline will be above that. The higher the overall score the better. So unless frankston win 67-66 or something then we are in!

It looks like Hamling has been told to back himself in to go for his marks in defense rather than just punch. He will still punch the ball at times but he still flies for the contested mark. I still do not think that he is a KPD but he looks the likely choice to take Andrew Mackie's 3rd tall position when Mackie pulls the pin.
The thing with Hamling is that when he takes a mark he will often play straight on and attack.

nice; cheers for the response The rabbi , very interesting thoughts regarding Hamling's prospects as a KPP, he's listed as 194cm, same as Jared Rivers - shorter than Harry, Mitch Brown and obviously Tom Lonergan; a bit taller than Andrew Mackie at 192cm.
Your last sentence bodes well if he indeed does need to add a bit more run and carry and creativity to his game (which I'm sure he has; I recall watching some of his U/18's carnival highlights for WA and he certainly had an agile, instinctive style).

Final % - 116.04, 0.96% behind Werribee. Couldn't be stuffed working out how much we want Frankston to win by on Sunday though.

Frankston wont win so it doesnt matter.

Good end to what has been a somewhat disappointing season for our vfl team.

Geelong Cats 4.2 8.6 15.8 18.10 (118)
Essendon 1.1 2.3 7.6 9.11 (65)

GOALS:
Geelong Cats: McCarthy 3 Hollmer 3 Brown 2 Luxford 2 Walker 2 Stringer 2 Toohey Haintz Gleeson Banjanin
Essendon: Dell'Olio 3 Heppell Long Kefford Willis Bellchambers Schultz

BEST:
Geelong Cats: Sheringham McCarthy Schroder Walker Hollmer Smedts
Essendon: Dell'Olio Bellchambers Heppell Aylett Tipungwuti

*Don't shoot the messenger!

Geelong Cats 4.2 8.6 15.8 18.10 (118)
Essendon 1.1 2.3 7.6 9.11 (65)

GOALS:
Geelong Cats: McCarthy 3 Hollmer 3 Brown 2 Luxford 2 Walker 2 Stringer 2 Toohey Haintz Gleeson Banjanin
Essendon: Dell'Olio 3 Heppell Long Kefford Willis Bellchambers Schultz

BEST:
Geelong Cats: Sheringham McCarthy Schroder Walker Hollmer Smedts
Essendon: Dell'Olio Bellchambers Heppell Aylett Tipungwuti

*Don't shoot the messenger!
Good to see McCarthy get in amongst the goals again. Hopefully he can stay injury free next season and find a spot in the forward half to make his own. I can't see him playing seniors again this year, unfortunately, with the finals just around the corner.

if frankston win 72-71 we are in. and im going to assume the scoreline will be above that. The higher the overall score the better. So unless frankston win 67-66 or something then we are in!
good work on the calculator, Zuta!! Cheers!! We'll be watching that scoreline with much interest.

Werribee play at 2pm on Sunday, out at Frankston. There's something in our favour, already!

Hadn't thought of that, Bobby, but when you play most of the season's games at the one level - ie not shuffling between AFL and VFL, you'd be in with a fair chance. (If you're any good, that is ;))

Remove this Banner Ad

Back