Geelong v Fremantle, Rnd 19 2014 @ Simonds Stadium 7.40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Post of the night :thumbsu:
Been to many games where I've seen opposition fans do the same things.

Mainly collingwood and hawthorn.
I'm not talking in simple terms of being one eyed, there is something verging on a cult in Geelong. Maybe it has something to do with being a one team town but there is nothing a Geelong player could do wrong, the umpires could have kicked a goal for them and they would think it is fair, Johnson could king hit someone and no one would bat an eyelid. The girls all swoon over Selwood, Bartel and Mackie, looking more at them than the match...the cats shop had their faces plastered on just about every piece of merchendise possible. Maybe it's because so many of their players have been there so long and achieved so much that they are all well known and beloved names, but the appreciation for their abilities has moved into a place where standing within five metres of them is a sin. It's as though the fans take personal offence if the opposition actually put up a good game and don't just roll over and let them get run over. I would say it would have something to do with Kardina Park only hosting games against smaller opposition where they will the vast majority of their matches, but Geelong fans need to realise that the Cats do not hold a monopoly on good football and they are not sent from above to dictate to us mere mortals about how it is done. I was initially going to say Cats fans are snobbish but really, at Kardina park (not so much in Melbourne) it is verging on a cult...Rule number1: Thou Shalt Not Question Joel's Free Kicks.

This is what fascinates me about Geelong fans, when you see them off in a distance you don't think much about them. But I just got back from the game in some great seats in the Brownlow Stand and the mindset of Geelong fans is...well delusional. I was going from them all night and thankfully that kick after the siren paid for my ticket with a nice little multi, but my goodness anyone with any sort of impartiality could tell Freo would getting a rough deal there, anything 50/50 went Geelong's way but not the other. Geelong fans at Kardinia Park have a thought process that is unlike anything I have ever seen before, that they believe they have a divine right to win and anything that gets in their way is supposedly unfair or dirty, it was a little disheartening to see. Anyone claiming Freo were trying to rough up Geelong needed to be there and see for the entire game it was always going both ways, Geelong were just as if not more dirty. Well done Cats, it was a good game to see, and I do believe that they just did enough to deserve the win. But my word Geelong fans are off with the fairies.

Yep. You know you are delusional when Essendon fans call you out, and WC fans side with Freo.

Steve Johnson receiving one for the 'accidental bump' in the first quarter. He grabs Sutcliffe over the head and then falls over 'takes a dive'. He then squared the ball and Mackie goaled.

Plus not even really the fact you received 31 free kicks. Fact was we couldn't buy one for similar incidents. I recall 3 times you received HTB decisions despite the fact we didnt even have the ball.

Sandilands massive arm chop in marking contest and the commentators wanked over Harry and how good he was in that contest. Sandilands never receives the frees he should.

Commentators also blowing their load over Lonergan, who just scragged Pav. Yes Zac did the same to Hawkins, but he received some frees.

Varcoe punching Suban in the face, then jumper punching him seconds later... I mean what is the umpire watching.

Fyfe held in just about every contest for a clearance where we smashed you. He received one free kick.

Well done on your win, but don't prance about like the umpiring was a non event.
Surely you're joking...Crowley did the same thing to Johnson all night, he wasn't even looking at the ball, fair dinkum some of the crap on here is unbelievable. I am convinced Freo fans are the AFL's biggest whingers...it's a closed book.

Ok you purple flog. You guys are no threat to the flag this year, and never will be under Ross Lyon.

I've seen 3 flags, if you's are to good come finals again for us then so be it, but for now, cop the loss sweet, was great to get a nice close win over the freo shockers.

And we don't duck.
Will be bookmarking this for future reference so you look even stupider than you do now.

Beating a team that were unfortunate in front of goals by 2 points with the full-on support from the umpires and your home ground really makes you think..

On a level playing field you can't touch us

I've never been to that little backwater but, on tv, the crowd looks a similar demographic to the WCE supporters but a bit more white and bumpkinish.

You've just described WC Eagles supporters at Subi.

Do they take a cushion to sit on, a thermos, a blanket for their knees and share sandwiches a half time?.
Oh I know quite a few who do, they complained endlessly when the lights were installed because they preferred to have their sandwiches as afternoon tea.

Ok you purple flog. You guys are no threat to the flag this year, and never will be under Ross Lyon.

I've seen 3 flags, if you's are to good come finals again for us then so be it, but for now, cop the loss sweet, was great to get a nice close win over the freo shockers.

And we don't duck.
You don't duck? Don't make me laugh sir, you can't say that with a straight face, bartel puts his head between his knees he gets down that far and still gets rewarded. If you think the mighty cats don't duck you're a moron, or better yet a one eyed Geelong supporter

I'm not talking in simple terms of being one eyed, there is something verging on a cult in Geelong. Maybe it has something to do with being a one team town but there is nothing a Geelong player could do wrong, the umpires could have kicked a goal for them and they would think it is fair, Johnson could king hit someone and no one would bat an eyelid. The girls all swoon over Selwood, Bartel and Mackie, looking more at them than the match...the cats shop had their faces plastered on just about every piece of merchendise possible. Maybe it's because so many of their players have been there so long and achieved so much that they are all well known and beloved names, but the appreciation for their abilities has moved into a place where standing within five metres of them is a sin. It's as though the fans take personal offence if the opposition actually put up a good game and don't just roll over and let them get run over. I would say it would have something to do with Kardina Park only hosting games against smaller opposition where they will the vast majority of their matches, but Geelong fans need to realise that the Cats do not hold a monopoly on good football and they are not sent from above to dictate to us mere mortals about how it is done. I was initially going to say Cats fans are snobbish but really, at Kardina park (not so much in Melbourne) it is verging on a cult...Rule number1: Thou Shalt Not Question Joel's Free Kicks.

How early the fruit is falling this season...i am watching the game now a second time and i'll be stuffed if the umpires have cost Freo the game. This tall poppy thing is getting out of hand, some fans on here really have their knickers in a knot about Geelong, this hasn't gone according to the script and some fans don't like it one bit.

I'd say the reason would be because it is a one team town, and we're enduring an amazing era at the moment, one that most cat fans haven't experienced before, there was plenty on heartache before 2007, and these current geelong players broke the drought and brought joy to the geelong faithful.

This description fits every club. See no need to single Geelong out.

Will be bookmarking this for future reference so you look even stupider than you do now.

Beating a team that were unfortunate in front of goals by 2 points with the full-on support from the umpires and your home ground really makes you think..

On a level playing field you can't touch us

Oh boy the arrogance.

I'll also bookmark this so you can also look like a classless clown if we happen to beat you come finals.

More tears. Get over it. Go to the sook thread on your board.

You realise you've won your three flags for the Century?

It doesn't do to be the superior Race. You know why? Your leader always ends up dead in a bunker. That's what you are, and it's all the respect I give you and nothing more. You are a 6-year War that's about to be annihilated, and destined to be nothing but annoying Tourists for the next 100 years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You don't duck? Don't make me laugh sir, you can't say that with a straight face, bartel puts his head between his knees he gets down that far and still gets rewarded. If you think the mighty cats don't duck you're a moron, or better yet a one eyed Geelong supporter

Difference between ducking and shrugging the shoulder/lowering your body to initiate contact, which is what some of our boys do.

How early the fruit is falling this season...i am watching the game now a second time and i'll be stuffed if the umpires have cost Freo the game. This tall poppy thing is getting out of hand, some fans on here really have their knickers in a knot about Geelong, this hasn't gone according to the script and some fans don't like it one bit.
You have to be the most delusional scrub around..

Make sure to pay extra attention to the fourth quarter then you can see the correlation between free kicks received and their affect on the scoreboard.

You had all the advantages you could possibly ask for and you got over the line by 2 points.

You realise you've won your three flags for the Century?

It doesn't do to be the superior Race. You know why? Your leader always ends up dead in a bunker. That's what you are, and it's all the respect I give you and nothing more. You are a 6-year War that's about to be annihilated, and destined to be nothing but annoying Tourists for the next 100 years.

Wow, getting called Nazis for winning a game of footy. Such class.

I'd say the reason would be because it is a one team town, and we're enduring an amazing era at the moment, one that most cat fans haven't experienced before, there was plenty on heartache before 2007, and these current geelong players broke the drought and brought joy to the geelong faithful.
Yeah exactly, and you can understand why. I just think while most other teams are either just flat out feral (like Carlton, Hawthorn, Essendon and so on) or are passionate but still acknowledge other teams and their ability (like Sydney, Bulldogs, Adelaide, etc), Geelong fans seem to believe they are God's gift to football. Living in Adelaide for ten years and knowing all about an insular football environment, I have to say Geelong fans are just unique.

Ok man, and I'll load the rifle and grease my frying pan if pigs happen to start flying.
I don't get how Freo fans can be so arrogant when their side has achieved nothing.

Bleat about the few Final wins which has resulted in nothing for your team but a failed GF.

Not gonna be an one eyed supporter. I'll admit Selwood ducks but I never take into notice or consideration if anyone else does but even if they did a shitload of players do it these days anyways

Bartel was throwing his head back like he'd been shot a bit too, as did MJ at the appropriate times and even Hawkins (who as a fwd is entitled occasionally make a scene the way the defenders are allowed to scrag them). But, yeah, agree they're not the only ones - and players will do it more if it's rewarded simple as that really. On my Freo's teams GDT I posted that the issue was not really with the Geelong players entirely. They're playing to win, and if you can get a shot at goal by flopping around, why not do it? When it became clear the umps were paying those ticky touchy 50-50s early and rewarding the ducks and head snaps - well you're going to keep doing it aren't you?

If umps had have called the game in the first half the way they did in the second we'd not be talking about the umps anywhere near as much and I reckon a few less 'head snaps' would have been seen as well.

Yeah exactly, and you can understand why. I just think while most other teams are either just flat out feral (like Carlton, Hawthorn, Essendon and so on) or are passionate but still acknowledge other teams and their ability (like Sydney, Bulldogs, Adelaide, etc), Geelong fans seem to believe they are God's gift to football. Living in Adelaide for ten years and knowing all about an insular football environment, I have to say Geelong fans are just unique.
The irony

Difference between ducking and shrugging the shoulder/lowering your body to initiate contact, which is what some of our boys do.
Shrugging is deliberately trying to slip the tacklers arm into your head to win the free.

Sometimes the arm slips over the head.

Still an obvious dodge. If they ever outlaw that move it'll be called the selwood rule. And with good reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back