Autopsy Geelong vs Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

Who did Clancee go to?

If anyone.

Mostly Selwood early, it was hard to tell in the 2nd half.

Clancy played solidly and he just keeps putting that big frame into players in the form of blocks and hits .....it takes its toll.

I can't promise you when Dockers boys but some time this week I am going to really enjoy watching the replay of your team beating Geelong. Bloody pleased your mob has had a flying start. I might even get along and watch them down here in Melbs if they are at the G and not playing Richmond. I was wondering if after last season they might be a bit wobbly. Not bloody likely at the mo it seems. If someone has to win the flag other than the Tiges this year, which let's be honest, is nearly a sure thing, I hope it is the Purple Army.

I hope you're still feeling as gracious towards us when we poach Rance at the end of the year :p

Our midfield was brilliant but I actually thought we could have gotten even more of an advantage from Sandilands absolute dominance in the ruck early in the game. But we did smash them in the second half. I think the cats really missed Motlop's run and Bartel is an important player for them too. As a result they had too many inexperienced players out there. Luckily, West Coast's Midfield isn't any better, but it might be a different proposition against Sydney on ANZAC Day. I think after the Sydney game we'll have a much better idea of how good we'll be this year.

As clogged said earlier, it is baffling that they didn't tag Stephen Hill. Makes me wonder why they got rid of Taylor Hunt (who seems to be doing well at Richmond) as Hunt did a good job on Hill on a few occasions. After skimming through the replay, I'd have to agree with the comment earlier in this thread relating to Hill's delivery inside 50... Frikkin laserbeams! Hill was integral to our win.

The other thing that is becoming apparent is our fitness. We just seemed to have players in space all day. We seemed to apply relentless pressure when necessary, but at other times we zoned off to preserve our legs and then ran off them so easily. Interesting. That could be another function of Geelong's young players not being fit enought yet, but I suspect we might see a few games this year where we blow teams away in the second half.

The lack of a third tall defender was a bit more noticeable this week with Clark, Stanley and Hawkins kicking 6 goals between them. But as Ross said in the presser, it does allow us a bit more run. Having said that, I'd really like to see Johnson freed up and allowed to attack more. I wonder who will make room for Dawson/Silvagni. I'm really hoping one of them will be fit for the Sydney game.

Our forward line looked so much better with Taberner in it. Not because Taberner did anything special, but he demands a bit of attention and really improves our structure. You can really see the difference between a natural forward and a ruckman like Zac. If Clarke doesn't come up for next week, I'd like to see Griffin get a run and Hopefully see Sandi play forward a bit more. Mayne, Ballantyne and Walters haven't kicked many goals yet this season (although in Walters case he has kicked a few behinds) but it's good to see our mids are kicking a few.

Overall, I thought it was a pretty complete performance and a really solid away win against a slightly depleted former superpower at their fortress of evil.

Did anybody else see Needles from back to the future playing in the game yesterday?

windowslivewriterbacktothefuturecuriousfac.partiicontinue-e21a553.jpg

Who did Clancee go to?

If anyone.

See, this is what annoys me about watching a game on TV. A TV commentator should have 2 jobs.

Firstly, to make the game sound entertaining and exciting. This is why I love BT and Richo and I'm baffled that Basil Zempalis is allowed to commentate.

Secondly, to provide the viewer with some insight into the tactics and strategy that may not be visible to the viewer at home. Commentators are constantly going on about stuff we can already see, such as the quality of the ball use and the number of tackles laid. It would be so simple for them to use their privileged positon in the commentary box to tell us who is running with who, which team is playing a zone and which team is closer checking and all that actually useful stuff but it barley ever happens.

/end rant.

As clogged said earlier, it is baffling that they didn't tag Stephen Hill. Makes me wonder why they got rid of Taylor Hunt (who seems to be doing well at Richmond) as Hunt did a good job on Hill on a few occasions. After skimming through the replay, I'd have to agree with the comment earlier in this thread relating to Hill's delivery inside 50... Frikkin laserbeams! Hill was integral to our win.
They lost three runners at the end of last year, Christensen, Varcoe and Hunt, and were made to look slow by Hawthorn in round 1. Suspended Motlop, who is probably their only line breaking midfielder left, and then compounded their problem by letting Freo's best line breaking mid do as he pleased.

The rest of the competition's coaches are going to double down on tagging Hill after that game, but I think it emphasises the need for Freo to have more class and run in the side. The midfield looks unstoppable with Hill off the chain. That's not going to happen every week.

They lost three runners at the end of last year, Christensen, Varcoe and Hunt, and were made to look slow by Hawthorn in round 1. Suspended Motlop, who is probably their only line breaking midfielder left, and then compounded their problem by letting Freo's best line breaking mid do as he pleased.

The rest of the competition's coaches are going to double down on tagging Hill after that game, but I think it emphasises the need for Freo to have more class and run in the side. The midfield looks unstoppable with Hill off the chain. That's not going to happen every week.

Hill needs more protection/help when he is being tagged. Got to hurt the tagger in the contest, make his life difficult all day.

Hopefully see Sandi play forward a bit more.

RTB has said that 211 will be mostly resting back as he's got less requirement to bend over - getting the ball below his knees aggravates his lower back issue.

Sandi played mostly back when he wasn't rucking yesterday.

Well that was as good as it gets

Defence was outstanding
Midfield exceptional
Forward line functioned a lot better this week

I think the most pleasing thing was seeing us get more reward from out inside 50 entries this week. Last week I felt we were quite ineffective going inside 50, this week we sharpened up and it was much improved.

I don't know what the biggest highlight was

Fyfe embarrassing another Geelong player
Mundy having a dose of leather poisoning
Hill launching inside 50 entry after inside 50 entry

Personally I'd like to subscribe to a couple of unexpected highlights

Seeing Mitch Clark lose his s**t was gold but the umpire did jack s**t even though it happened right in front of him
Seeing Geelong players lose their s**t and resort to cheap shots further confirmed what a dog team they really are
The umpires actually grasped the concept that the fairer team was treated better

The biggest highlight of all

Walking around the stadium at three-quarter time and hearing virtual silence. I am of the belief that the Geelong fans feel they are entitled to win every game and it's great to smack that sense of entitlement out of them. The sound of silence was beautiful.

We're often portrayed as a bunch of role players who play their role well with discipline. It's a bit of a backhanded compliment cos ordinarily it's in the context that we do not have many stars or elites. That second half yesterday revealed signs of some significant improvement and some growing eliteness, namely:-

* Midfield - when have we seen dominance like that from not only our guys but any midfield group in recent times? Hill has backed up a strong preseason with the added ability to tear a game apart now for longer periods. Mundy has stepped it up in both games thus far. Barlow and Neale have been very good inside while D.Pearce has improved too and my wife wishes I had bum cheeks like Fyfe.....

* Defence - They are the Magnificent Seven (even if RTB claims we only ever play six back). I swear Luke looked like he was going to pull out a cigar on Mitch "wots his name" yesterday.....just like Yul did.

* Sandi - goes about his business racking up the hitouts providing the rockstars in the midfield first use so they can get 30+ possessions, brownlow votes and all the chicks. Let them point their index fingers to the sky buddy while you lay it out on a platter for them. I love you buddy.

Footnote.
There were some murmurings about the gap between us and the Swans cos they smashed the Power by more than what we did.
Not to get ahead of ourselves and the immediate game ahead of us, but we should hold no fears.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

RTB has said that 211 will be mostly resting back as he's got less requirement to bend over - getting the ball below his knees aggravates his lower back issue.

Sandi played mostly back when he wasn't rucking yesterday.

I thought Ross said that they'd really like him forward but the back issue had prevented him going forward so far. It seemed to me like the plan is to get him spending more time forward as soon as possible.

I thought Ross said that they'd really like him forward but the back issue had prevented him going forward so far. It seemed to me like the plan is to get him spending more time forward as soon as possible.

I would have thought if there was an issue that they might consider getting on top of it early and have Griff ruck for a couple of weeks while Sandi gets to 100%? I mean, call me crazy but it would suck major dick if Sandi was out late in the season/finals with a back complaint.

Yes! He was getting towelled up by Macca and expressed his feelings by wrestling with him & going the jumper punches. I don't think it made it onto the broadcast but he was going quite a while & got quite rough. Stupid umpires took forever to break it up. Should've been reported

MRP should pick that up. Plenty of vision.
Couple of fines coming his way .

Walking around the stadium at three-quarter time and hearing virtual silence. I am of the belief that the Geelong fans feel they are entitled to win every game and it's great to smack that sense of entitlement out of them. The sound of silence was beautiful.

We forget that 10 years ago Geelong was one of the most miserable clubs who hadn't had success for over 40 years.

Defence was outstanding
Midfield exceptional
Forward line functioned a lot better this week

I think the most pleasing thing was seeing us get more reward from out inside 50 entries this week. Last week I felt we were quite ineffective going inside 50, this week we sharpened up and it was much improved.

I don't know what the biggest highlight was

Fyfe embarrassing another Geelong player
Mundy having a dose of leather poisoning
Hill launching inside 50 entry after inside 50 entry

Personally I'd like to subscribe to a couple of unexpected highlights

Seeing Mitch Clark lose his s**t was gold but the umpire did jack s**t even though it happened right in front of him
Seeing Geelong players lose their s**t and resort to cheap shots further confirmed what a dog team they really are
The umpires actually grasped the concept that the fairer team was treated better

Hello darkness my old friend.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back