Geelong vs Hawthorn. AFL have decided to do some scalping.

Remove this Banner Ad

The subject to capacity has always been in the fine print, and this year in the fine print they even mentioned you may have to upgrade for certain games. But the point is this game will not be sold out, there will be empty seats, so why should they force people to upgrade when there is spare capacity?

The point is, purchasing a home game season ticket DOES NOT ensure free access to all 11 home games, it never has and never will.

If you want a GURANTEED seat, buy a reserved seat package from your club.

Other club members are well aware of this, that the big games often require you to pre-book if you want to go.

Geelong fans should complain to Geelong if they weren't aware.

From the Geelong members info

MEMBERSHIP ENTITLEMENTS
Your membership entitles you to:
- Access to Geelong AFL games (number of games dependent on membership package/s
purchased). Please note whether games are designated seat events (fully ticketed) and entry
is always subject to capacity

RESERVE ON DEMAND (FULLY TICKETED)
For the MCG, a game may be declared as reserve on demand which means that the reserved
seating is expected to sell out and consequently general admission areas are opened as reserved
seating. In the event that the MCG and the AFL announce a Geelong Cats game as reserve on
demand we will do our best to inform members of this via the website, Blue & White email and
upcoming game information on the phone system. If a home game is reserve on demand members
without a season seat at the MCG will be advised to pre-book a seat (booking fees apply). If an away
game is declared reserve on demand Home & Away 16 and Melbourne 11 members will be advised
to pre-book a seat (booking fees apply). All other members will be advised to purchase admission
and a seat (booking fees apply); as there is no guarantee that there will be general admission areas
available at the game. Entry subject to capacity.

The point is, purchasing a home game season ticket DOES NOT ensure free access to all 11 home games, it never has and never will.

Other club members are well aware of this, that the big games often require you to pre-book if you want to go.

MEMBERSHIP ENTITLEMENTS
- Access to Geelong AFL games (number of games dependent on membership package/s
purchased). Please note whether games are designated seat events (fully ticketed) and entry

For the MCG, a game may be declared as reserve on demand which means that the reserved
seating is expected to sell out and consequently general admission areas are opened as reserved
seating. In the event that the MCG and the AFL announce a Geelong Cats game as reserve on
demand we will do our best to inform members of this via the website, Blue & White email and
upcoming game information on the phone system. If a home game is reserve on demand members
without a season seat at the MCG will be advised to pre-book a seat (booking fees apply). If an away
game is declared reserve on demand Home & Away 16 and Melbourne 11 members will be advised
to pre-book a seat (booking fees apply). All other members will be advised to purchase admission
and a seat (booking fees apply); as there is no guarantee that there will be general admission areas

The problem is they are not offering walk-up if all tickets are not sold.

MEMBERSHIP ENTITLEMENTS

Whos asking for a guaranteed seat?

I want to rock up and swipe in and if the stadium has reached capacity I will happily leave and have no one to blame but myself.

There is however absolutely zero chance that it will reach capacity for this game. Which is what makes it a cash grab.

I want to rock up and swipe in and if the stadium has reached capacity I will happily leave and have no one to blame but myself.

There is however absolutely zero chance that it will reach capacity for this game. Which is what makes it a cash grab.

This is what I like to do. I wouldn't do it for PF's or GF's but considering Geelong I don't think has ever sold out the MCG during the Home & Away season then I want to walk up 15 minutes before the game and stand on the 1st level and watch.

I don't care about a seat, and I fully understand the need for reserved seats for games like this. To say, however that I'm unable to walk up if there are free seats or standing spots because I have not pre-booked a seat is ridiculous.

The only justification the AFL could have for this policy is if they expect the game to sell out. This game has not sold out and for the foreseeable future it will not. The closest it has come is 85k

Still 15 short of capacity

Just got this in my Email

As far as I'm concern this is a form of scalping. The AFL are being hipocrites.
Will the Geelong Football Club financially benefit from this seeing it's their home game ?

I am seriously considering not going.

If this is a Geelong home match, then you are fully entitled to entry to the ground and a seat somewhere. For the AFL to now decide it's a reserved seat match is clearly underhanded and a rort.

The media should be all over this and making some big noise at the same time !!

94mh.jpg

Wouldn't worry too much. All AFL seat reservations are $7.50 each, regardless of the game, and the booking fee at the MCG is next to nothing. It's the variable pricing/gouging outside the AFL members that's the issue. You'd almost think they were trying to get people to become AFL members instead of club members so they have that income coming directly for HO to control (except they just capped AFL membership so that doesn't really work as a plan either).

Paying for reserved seats should always be an option, not forced. You don't book, you take your chances that you'll be locked out if seats and standing room are full.

They want everyone to have to buy reserve seat memberships eventually, that's the goal.

The problem is that the AFL decided before the season started which matches would be declared A-Reserved, A-Game, B-Reserved, B-Game and C-Game and there is no allowance for change should the season not pan out the way the AFL predicted back in Feb/March time frame.
It would actually be nice to know how the AFL actually came to the decision as to how they classified each of the Melbourne games - this week the Geelong vs Hawthorn game is an A-reserved match, but come round 22 when its Hawthorn vs Geelong the game is only A-game match meaning there will be generally admission available for members walking up on match day. Do they expect less people to show up for the Hawks home match compared to the Cats home match or how did they work out one as having general admission but not the other?
The AFL also decided before the season started that the Cats 2 matches at Etihad versus Carlton are to be A-Reserved games even though the highest crowd between the 2 sides at Eithad over the past 5/6 years is less than 49k; does anyone honestly believe that based on the current standings of the 2 teams that either of these matches is going to suddenly be a sellout?

They want everyone to have to buy reserve seat memberships eventually, that's the goal.

But you can't buy a reserve seat away membership - you can buy a reserve seat home members with general admission away membership.

The poster I initially quoted was blabbing about proportional refunds as they cant access the game.

That is not what a season ticket has ever been.

Times change, you don't have to like it, designated ticket games have been around for a few years now.

This game is a "designated replacement game" for Hawks reserved seat members, which means we get General Admission entry rights "subject to capacity". I am absolutely disgusted that Geelong members are forced to purchase an additional ticket to attend. I will be attending the game and have happily purchased a seat, but I'd be writing letters to the AFL and possibly my club if I were a Cats member. That's disgraceful treatment. Economic development at the expense of its greatest stakeholder - the fans. Well done, Vlad.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Times change, you don't have to like it, designated ticket games have been around for a few years now.

I think the main issue everyone has is that the game is no chance to sell out and thus excluding people from walking-up is a clear gouge because history has shown the crowd will not be excessive. It's things like this that turn people off attending. I know my excitement for the game has been quashed a little by this news. You can say "It's only a little more" but a little more on-top of the LOT that is a membership just feels greedy and cynical.

The only justification the AFL could have for this policy is if they expect the game to sell out. This game has not sold out and for the foreseeable future it will not. The closest it has come is 85k

Still 15 short of capacity
Another thing people often confuse.

The 100K capacity of the G isn't all gen admin, most people surely get that.
But then they start quoting figures of 85K as a non-sell out.

Of the 100K, after you take 25K for MCC, 20K for AFL members, 20K for reserved seat members and corporates....you only left with bout 35K available for gen admin.

Fair enough that the biggest modern day rivalry in footy, on a public holiday, would get the same treatment as ANZAC day.

On top of membership packages up to $700-800 it is a bit ####en ridiculous. No reason you can't treat it like any game and let people walk up and scan in to what remains (if any) on the day. If it draws under 70,000 it will be a direct result of this bull s**t decision but have no doubt AD will arrogantly ignore it as usual.

I can understand the grievances of Geelong members ... but comments like this are misleading. If you've paid $700 ... you would already have a seat, and hence there would be nothing "on top" of your membership package.

The prices for a Geelong GA membership (1 x Adult) ranges from $204 (all 11 home games) to $308 (all 11 home games, plus 5 away games in Melbourne). This isn't really that much. If you have to pay a bit extra for potentially the game of the season in an under-capacity MCG, then it sucks, but it isn't the end of the world.

Membership prices obviously go up if you want a reserved seat, but don't be kidding people by making it seem like your $700-$800 wouldn't cover this game. The only way you would be paying that is if you had the most premium reserved seat at all home games, plus priority access for a GF ticket.

It's entirely the point. Victorian clubs bitch about shitty stadium deals because they pay the cheapest prices in the country in the largest, most extravagant and most expensive stadiums. If you want your clubs to make decent returns on match day, then you need to pay. Like everyone else.

Except the money isn't even going to the competing clubs but is going into "equalisation" as far as I can recall. Might be less angry if it went to line Geelong/ Hawthorn's pocket (or just Geelong as it is their home game) but wasn't the reason for the A/B/C ticketing to generate money to fund things like competitive balance

tl dr going to watch the best clubs play and pay more to fund the worst.

I think the main issue everyone has is that the game is no chance to sell out and thus excluding people from walking-up is a clear gouge because history has shown the crowd will not be excessive. It's things like this that turn people off attending. I know my excitement for the game has been quashed a little by this news. You can say "It's only a little more" but a little more on-top of the LOT that is a membership just feels greedy and cynical.
Why wont the crowd be huge?
Didn't Hawks v Cats get 85K to a Sat night game last year??

Two best clubs of recent years, and a massive rivalry.
Both teams flying, both undefeated and coming off beltings of teams that were supposedly on the rise in 2014.
A Public Holiday.
Hawthorn members get access rights as a Tassie replacement game, ie two sets of the basic home season ticket holders have same access rights.

How is that not a recipe for a bumper crowd??

Hawks home season ticket is 185......that is fecking amazing value, to have to fork out 8 bucks to get a seat on the top deck of the southern, ie where you would end up if just rocking up anyway, for arguably the game of the year and people are up in arms.....gee people in Melbourne are spoilt.

A general admission home 11 game membership, also known as a basic season ticket, has NEVER equated to a guaranteed seat, it has always been subject to capacity. They aren't losing anything.

But they shouldn't be able to bar you unless the game is actually sold out. As in subtract the number of presale tickets/ MCG members/ AFL members/ reserve seats and the rest goes in to a GA swipe in system for members. Because that would refelct the true meaning of "subject to capacity"

The poster I initially quoted was blabbing about proportional refunds as they cant access the game.

That is not what a season ticket has ever been.

Hawthorn have not copped designated ticket games as home team before (although I have got a reserved seat package). And I don't think Geelong have when playing at MCG. Collingwood members may well be used to it and Essendon also but most vic clubs don't see this as situation normal.

But they shouldn't be able to bar you unless the game is actually sold out. As in subtract the number of presale tickets/ MCG members/ AFL members/ reserve seats and the rest goes in to a GA swipe in system for members. Because that would refelct the true meaning of "subject to capacity"
It is not about barring people, it is about managing the crowd.

A Collingwood v Hawthorn (Hawthorn members replacement game again) back in 2011 was a right shemozzle.

GA sold out, had stories of people who rocked up early with a walk up seat, only to find that those bays were still being sold at the gate so after sitting there for an hour, people came up and booted them out.

Crowd was just mid 80Ks, but gen admin was completely sold out and it was a shambles.

Once they open up the normal walk up seating to reserved sale, it has to become a fully ticketed game.

Another thing people often confuse.

The 100K capacity of the G isn't all gen admin, most people surely get that.
But then they start quoting figures of 85K as a non-sell out.

Of the 100K, after you take 25K for MCC, 20K for AFL members, 20K for reserved seat members and corporates....you only left with bout 35K available for gen admin.

Fair enough that the biggest modern day rivalry in footy, on a public holiday, would get the same treatment as ANZAC day.

Ummm... yeah obviously.

Looks like you've confused what I've written and made assumptions on what I meant. So you think I meant that every other part of the ground is sold out apart from whichever part I want to stand/sit in?

Confucius over here.

ANZAC day is sold out nigh on every year. Easter Monday has never been sold out and will not be for at least the next 5 years if it continues with Geelong, and Hawthorn.

Stop reading past what people are saying and putting your ticketing knowledge on show when the conversation isn't about that.

The point that has been made consistently by most posters in the thread is that if there are spare seats (which there will be), then you should be able to walk up and take on of those seats, or stand if that is your preference.

If however, the game gets sold out, then the AFL could justifiably put the same restrictions on ticketed entry as they do with the ANZAC day game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back