Analysis Geelong vs top 4 rivals from 2009-2010 seasons

Remove this Banner Ad

In Duncan's first year he played three finals (two as sub) and did some nice things.

In his finals since, he has been remarkably consistent and generally good.

View attachment 104258

Typical of you CE…ruining a good stoush with facts…..

Duncan has been solid in finals, always in our top 10, but never dominant. He needs one or 2 really big September games.
Yeah, agree. He has time on his side though. He's a slow burn player - has been improving since day dot.

he finished 4th mate!
In 2013 he finished 6th, 2012 he was 4th again.

He's one year younger and already influenced just as many games as what Duncan has for us.
I don't see Dahlhaus improving as much as what Duncan will so this hopefully is irrelevant but my point remains, the Bulldogs youth are damn good.
If both teams played a practice match in the coming months where it was only the under 25yr old's out there on the field, they would have us covered in a close one.
That says a bit about the dogs depth if Dahlhaus finished 4th. I'd take 3rd in a side that finished in the 4 (ended up 6th obviously) over a guy who finished 4th in a side that finished in the bottom 6.

Bit of Jeykll and Hyde about you atm. Just sayin.

Duncan will be overtaken by Caddy as our best young midfielder for the season.

confused_lion_king.gif

His progression in terms of disposals is quite consistent.

2010: 13.63
2011: 17.00
2012: 18.18
2013: 21.04
2014: 22.79

So he has a minimal increase and then a bigger increase the year after. Hopefully that trend continues. He's borderline our second best midfielder after Sel, alongside SJ.

Caddy:
2011: 13.00
2012: 15.18
2013: 14.89
2014: 16.69

Yep the evidence doesn't quite support your theory. I think he'll become a very good player for us, don't get me wrong but 'overtaken by Caddy as our best young midfielder for the season' I'm not buying into that....

I could see Caddy perhaps making the most improvement in that he irons out his inconsistency and fading out of games and therefore makes the most strides to becoming the player we think he can be, but to surpass Mitch all in our year seems a little too Everestish for mine….

Would like to see him be the biggest improver for the year though.

GO Catters

I could see Caddy perhaps making the most improvement in that he irons out his inconsistency and fading out of games and therefore makes the most strides to becoming the player we think he can be, but to surpass Mitch all in our year seems a little too Everestish for mine….

Would like to see him be the biggest improver for the year though.

Don't really care who the improvers are as long as there are a few of them.

http://www.geelongcats.com.au/news/2015-01-22/a-season-of-intrigue-echoes-a-triumph-of-the-past

Can you remember heading into a recent AFL season as a Cats supporter and having so many unknowns?

Not since Geelong faced up to St Kilda in round one of 2011 have supporters had so many questions waiting to be answered.

This thread more than anything reminds me of just how lucky we've been as fans of the GFC. By all accounts we should have ended up just like our rivals - falling down the ladder, missing finals - remember how at the end of 2010 the Pies were beginning a dynasty? Instead we've continued to compete and spent two years in the top 4 to exceed the expectations of most footy punters.

I was at that first game in 2011 - it was actually the first time I'd seen a Cats game live. It was a pretty ordinary game of football until the last 5 minutes, but it was an exciting glimpse of the future. 2015 has me just as excited.

It's easy to be negative, but we've managed to continue competing and give ourselves a chance while transitioning our list, there's a lot of exciting youngsters, and we've now got the footy world wondering about how good we can be over the next few years. Like Chris Scott has said - we don't know exactly what the next few years are going to bring, but it's going to be exciting.

Strap yourselves in Cats fans - it's going to be a hell of a year - get excited!

http://www.geelongcats.com.au/news/2015-01-22/a-season-of-intrigue-echoes-a-triumph-of-the-past

This thread more than anything reminds me of just how lucky we've been as fans of the GFC. By all accounts we should have ended up just like our rivals - falling down the ladder, missing finals - remember how at the end of 2010 the Pies were beginning a dynasty? Instead we've continued to compete and spent two years in the top 4 to exceed the expectations of most footy punters.

I was at that first game in 2011 - it was actually the first time I'd seen a Cats game live. It was a pretty ordinary game of football until the last 5 minutes, but it was an exciting glimpse of the future. 2015 has me just as excited.

It's easy to be negative, but we've managed to continue competing and give ourselves a chance while transitioning our list, there's a lot of exciting youngsters, and we've now got the footy world wondering about how good we can be over the next few years. Like Chris Scott has said - we don't know exactly what the next few years are going to bring, but it's going to be exciting.

Strap yourselves in Cats fans - it's going to be a hell of a year - get excited!

Oh, that Tom Peeters. Would prefer he spoke for himself. I was a bit concerned about the team in 2011. That lasted roughly until I actually looked at the players that would comprise our best 22, compared to other teams around the league, and realised that things would have to go pretty drastically wrong for Geelong not to be in the top four again.

It was good to see Selwood calling out the Caddy, Duncan, Guthrie, Horlin-Smith group though. He should have included Motlop and it's a shame that Christensen is no longer part of that group. Because if we disregard potential injuries, I can't see any five players in the senior side being more critical to determining whether we are premiership contenders or also-rans.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

23 disposals (66% DE), 6½ marks, 3 tackles, 1 goal, 0.7 assists last year v 21 disposals, 4½ marks, 4 tackles, 0.5 goals, 0.5 assists in 2014 finals.
22 disposals, 6.7 marks, 3 tackles, 0.6 goals, 0.6 assists last year v 20 disposals, 6.3 marks, 3 tackles, 0.6 goals, 0 assists in 2013 finals.

shame his facts are blatantly incorrect though.
As I said, in his last two finals appearances, those numbers have dropped but by all means, keep on believing everyone of our players are superstars.

There is a reason why we have gone 1-5 in September since 2011, only a select few are carrying the team on their back.
Clutching at straws bobby, sorry..

not really. Just my opinion which you and a few others strongly disagree over is all. Nothing wrong with that.
I'm more meaning here you are talking up the dogs youngsters (which are talented) over our younger players (so comparatively talking them down). We finished 4th and some of those younger players have gained finals experience, dogs finished 14th and they're depth is so low these younger players are finishing high in the B&F.

Contrast that with the many main board threads (most recently the Hawks 3 peat thread) where you talk up our younger players to the detriment of the younger players at Hawthorn, some of which have just become b2b premiership players.

Cliff notes: our younger players don't compare favourably with that of a team that finished 14th but do against that of a side that finished 1st. Hence Jeykll and Hyde.

ah shut up you nimwit!
You've tipped the Gold Coast Suns to thump Geelong in round 3 so it's not as if you hold the club and it's payers in such high regard if you can seriously sit there and say we lose to them on our own bloody ground o_O
Never said thump. I have a feeling we'll get done (if Gary is fit).

We were overrrun by them last season, hopefully we put more time into Bennell this time:straining:

They have something we don't, midfield depth. Good developing KPP and the best player in the game. It took us 3 quarters to break them down last time they were down here.

Anyway that's all irrelevant as I wasn't speaking about all our youth, just your argument about Duncan, our 3rd best mid after Sel and SJ.

I don't rate Hawthorn's youth, what is the problem mate?
I see the older players carrying a lot of the weight when games are in the balance, it is the same issue at Geelong with Selwood, Johnson, Stokes, Bartel who rise time and time again.

Why I need to try and explain myself to a bloke who hanged s**t on me last year for suggesting Richmond would make the eight is indicative of this board. You hate to be proven wrong and when you are wrong, you look for others who roam around here to give your support in typical fashion.

Once more and get it through your damn head NSFB!
Mitch Duncan has been underwhelming in finals!
Luke Dahlhaus is the equal of Mitch Duncan!
Josh Caddy will prove to be our best young midfielder by the conclusion of 2015!

Happy?

Now go back to your world game thread.
Firstly It took Sydney resting players to get Richmond in and they were shown up the following week. If you want to claim that, go ahead, we'll even call you Nostradamus because 95% of people wouldn't have said they'd make it at 3-10. Well done you got one right.

Dahlhaus is not Duncan's equal he finished 3rd in the B&F in a side that played finals and I will happily Bookmark this comment about Caddy.

Him overtaking Duncan by the end of 2015 is overreaching. Bookmarked.

You're getting awfully angry over this. I'm quite calm actually.

You'll see that I have similar reservations over Hawthorn's youth but rather than definitively writing them off now I'm waiting until those older players retire and we can either see proof that they're not up to it, or be proven wrong.

Fact is our youth at present doesn't stack up to Hawthorn and we're a bit further advanced than them in regards to older players moving on, and we're seeing some younger player struggle with that.

I'm interested, anyone apart from Bobby_ think Duncan has been poor in finals and/or has got worse in the past two finals series?

Not for me. Hasn't been unbelievably brilliant in the last couple of finals series (and neither has anyone else), but there have been plenty worse. 19 touches or better in every one of his last 6 finals is far from disgraceful. There would be a lot of Geelong players I'd be potting in finals ahead of Duncan.

Certainly agree with that.
Horlin-Smith, Murdoch, Blicavs have been relatively poor but then again, they haven't played in anywhere near as many finals as what Duncan has yet.
Motlop's had a couple of ok matches but the rest have also been underwhelming. Guthrie was terrific in the 2013 finals and only played in five finals thus far. He's performed a little better than Duncan imo.
Caddy's played terrific in a couple as well.

Christensen another who looked more than comfortable on the big stage.

A lot to look forward to but at the same time, a lot of work to go before these guys begin taking Geelong places in the coming season/s.

Not for me. Hasn't been unbelievably brilliant in the last couple of finals series (and neither has anyone else), but there have been plenty worse. 19 touches or better in every one of his last 6 finals is far from disgraceful. There would be a lot of Geelong players I'd be potting in finals ahead of Duncan.
What Bobby hasn't factored in is that despite being right that Duncan has lowered slightly, but so has the team.

In 2013 disposals dropped from 374 average in H&A to 341 in finals.
In 2014 disposals dropped from 367 average in H&A to 305 in finals.

As a team we collectively weren't getting our hands on the pill as often

Remove this Banner Ad

Back