Injury Geelong with an A+ health rating

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
Its not that Vardy would contribute more than Kersten its that he would free up Kersten to play the third tall roll and exploit the third defender. If Brown or Walker were good enough to contribute then we could use them as the second tall to free up Kersten but they aren't anywhere near the standard. Its questionable whether Vardy would be, and that's why getting rid of Pods was a dumb mistake even if Vardy was fit, but Vardy was well ahead of Brown and Walker in being to hold off defenders in marking contests and compete for the ball in the air and that is exactly what we need.

Walker averages more disposals (8.2 to 7.8), the same marks (2.6), way more tackles (2.8 to 1.9), and a whopping 0.1 goals per game less (0.8 to 0.9) than Vardy does. So, apart from the ubiquitous "well the match committee prefer him - therefore I'm right" argument, how exactly is Vardy so much superior to Walker? Hype undoubtedly. On actual output, there's very little difference.

Selwood did not have no pre-season, he missed some of it. The eagerness fans have to embrace myths and bullshit is remarkable.
Selwood had a full preseason training and got a hammy ping in first 1/4 of first preseason game.

Did not play another game till Rd1 I believe.

Go Catters

Rankin_1925

Club Legend
Jul 17, 2014
Sydanee
AFL Club
Geelong
Walker averages more disposals (8.2 to 7.8), the same marks (2.6), way more tackles (2.8 to 1.9), and a whopping 0.1 goals per game less (0.8 to 0.9) than Vardy does. So, apart from the ubiquitous "well the match committee prefer him - therefore I'm right" argument, how exactly is Vardy so much superior to Walker? Hype undoubtedly. On actual output, there's very little difference.
Well, Vardy is the next Riewoldt (according to someone at the club last year). Don't get caught up in that statistics rubbish, hyperbole and embellishment are a much better guide as to how good a player will be.

Id take Walker right now. He can run. Vardy will be back at some point. And Id say that on POTENTIAL Vardy has more. On STATS, they are even.

As of today, Walker gets the nod as he is available. If Vardy by round 6 next year gets some good VFL action and a good preseason then he's probably caught Walker.

Based on today and the rest of this year, I d be happy to see Hawk, Kersten and Walker if they wanted 3 tall forwards.

Go Catters

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
Id take Walker right now. He can run. Vardy will be back at some point. And Id say that on POTENTIAL Vardy has more. On STATS, they are even.

As of today, Walker gets the nod as he is available. If Vardy by round 6 next year gets some good VFL action and a good preseason then he's probably caught Walker.

Based on today and the rest of this year, I d be happy to see Hawk, Kersten and Walker if they wanted 3 tall forwards.

Go Catters

That's a critical sentence. There's diminishing evidence that they even want 3 tall forwards to begin with.

Mar 6, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Vardy wasn't much chop at marking either, IIRC... certainly went up for them and took some but has missed as many as Walker has, I'm pretty sure.

Hinkley29

Premiership Player
Jan 25, 2008
the heart of darkness
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
StL Cards, THFC, South Sydney
Oh dear, you poor thing. How do you cope.

Someone on the internet disagrees!!!!!!!!!
I am happy to have the contrarian element. It is the patronising and beligerent part that pisses me off.

I often enjoy the point of view that you bring to the board. It is good to have healthy debate. I often agree with your view, but your constant belittling of other posters means that your message is lost in the delivery.

You can disagree with anyone you want, you just don't need to be a dick about it.

Hinkley29

Premiership Player
Jan 25, 2008
the heart of darkness
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Stating "Selwood had no preseason" is a statement of fact; there's nothing wrong with pointing out it wasn't quite like that.
That is true.

But you have to admit that in post 23 you do come across like a patronising dick. That is the type of post (there have been plenty of others in other threads) that I was referring to.

manboob

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts The Cult of Robbo
Feb 11, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
#rompingwins
Foot I believe.

Jon Douglas

Premiership Player
Jan 8, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
We need a gun small forward. Other teams that have them tell us how much difference they can make.

They add a heap of forward pressure and help lock the ball in the forward 50 and they can add goals, run and carry, leg speed to a side.

Ideally McCarthy or Bates would have been available to try out in this position. So I think injuries have not helped us in our pursuit in finding a good small forward.

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
That is true.

But you have to admit that in post 23 you do come across like a patronising dick. That is the type of post (there have been plenty of others in other threads) that I was referring to.

Don't give two shits how it comes across. I've learned long ago there's very little point trying to be rational around here. Might as well get straight to insults and hatred - saves time.

DV2000

Club Legend
May 9, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Good thread. We have to bear in mind that even when our list is in tip top shape, but we don't play well enough, we could still get booted out of the finals. There have been games this season where we have had a much healthier squad than the opposition, but still haven't played well enough to win finals.

manboob

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 11, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
#rompingwins
Yeah I guess in a sense it's a blessing that he did it in preseason.

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
He had also bulked up in the summer, putting on quite a big of muscle. Bloody shame but I guess it'll be like gaining a ready-made 1st rounder in time for rd1, 2015.

First he has to learn how to be a full time key forward. Which he hasn't done yet. Given how players are notoriously slow to come back from knee injuries, I'm reserving judgement. Like this season would have been, anything around 25 goals to Vardy next year is a huge pass.

Hinkley29

Premiership Player
Jan 25, 2008
the heart of darkness
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Don't give two shits how it comes across. I've learned long ago there's very little point trying to be rational around here. Might as well get straight to insults and hatred - saves time.
That just confirms that you are more interested in being a keyboard hero than you are in actually getting your point across.

Which begs the question: Why do you bother?

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
That just confirms that you are more interested in being a keyboard hero than you are in actually getting your point across.

Which begs the question: Why do you bother?

You wouldn't know what I'm more interested in. You would not have a single clue. Also, I don't make personal insults - unlike plenty on here. I'll happily respond to them though. Although I can't wait to be told I shouldn't do that either.

Just so you know, it's hard to be a 'keyboard hero' when you freely admit most of your predictions are wrong. My all time greatest was Kane Tenace - came back from a practice match in 2007 convinced he would be a top midfielder for us. Whoops.

manboob

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 11, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
#rompingwins
Selwood had a full preseason training and got a hammy ping in first 1/4 of first preseason game.

Did not play another game till Rd1 I believe.

Go Catters
+1 his foot.

Sep 15, 2005
AFL Club
Geelong
with regards to whether our 'A+' health rating is accurate or not; it's not often any team in the comp runs out with their best 22 fully fit & in form.

if we can't make a good fist of it from here on in then we're simply not quite up to it at this stage - I don't think we can hide behind a couple of LTI's and the odd player finding his feet after a lay-off to excuse poor performances anymore.

Back