Resource Geelong YouTube highlights

Remove this Banner Ad

Just on this - do you have any legal rights posting images of your own design to a public internet forum if they are subsequently adapted by other parties? Does copyright remain with the author in these instances?
Seeing as I'm already stealing the photos of whichever photographer (working for the AFL) took the shots of the players in the first place, I don't have a leg to stand on in regards to the AFL stealing my concepts and content.

Seeing as I'm already stealing the photos of whichever photographer (working for the AFL) took the shots of the players in the first place, I don't have a leg to stand on in regards to the AFL stealing my concepts and content.

Ah yeah…. That might work against you…

Go Catters

It's not like I'm trying to sell them as my own, but yeah - technically I'm not supposed to use the graphic. Same goes for anyone else who uses player photos for any reason without permission.

I would imagine that the re use with out permission, regardless of good natured intent ( which it clearly is) would still draw ire….

GO Catters

I would imagine that the re use with out permission, regardless of good natured intent ( which it clearly is) would still draw ire….

GO Catters
Of course. Same probably goes for every member on Bigfooty with a player photo as their avatar... Every young girl who puts the caption 'I love jimmy' on a Bartel photo and posts it on twitter... Same story with the highlights videos that SJ, Bobby and myself make. One of those rules that you can push the boundaries of without causing any problems.

Its normally only a problem when profit takes a hit. Dont charge for anything and the AFL may leave you alone.

So basically, **** them, keep up the good work, lads.
Sportsbet got in contact with me about my Facebook page and new YouTube project. They were offering good money to plaster their name across our graphics. Problem is - as you say - as soon as somebody starts making money off the AFL content, they won't get away with it for long - so we declined.

Of course. Same probably goes for every member on Bigfooty with a player photo as their avatar... Every young girl who puts the caption 'I love jimmy' on a Bartel photo and posts it on twitter... Same story with the highlights videos that SJ, Bobby and myself make. One of those rules that you can push the boundaries of without causing any problems.

I guess if you could do something with more neutral content ( which clearly you are all more than capable of) it may be more palatable to them. Clearly as an employer / member of the AFL it would be difficult for them to endorse media continent creation using non approved or rights and clearance approved material.

In a perfect world they would see your skills and potential and get you in to do some licensed stuff on spec or trial.

GO Catters

Second year deakin students!

Probably explains everything.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The funny thing was, a few years ago the AFL would take down any YouTube account that was putting up a lot of highlight clips, while putting up very few of their own.

It's my theory that they changed their tune when yours truly uploaded a certain video which went viral and is still the most watched AFL video on YouTube (which possibly means it's the most watched AFL clip of all time in any capacity):

From then on I reckon they realised that it was free marketing, and also they started putting up a lot of highlights from games in-play.

And so who gets for the advertising attached to it SJ?

The funny thing was, a few years ago the AFL would take down any YouTube account that was putting up a lot of highlight clips, while putting up very few of their own.

It's my theory that they changed their tune when yours truly uploaded a certain video which went viral and is still the most watched AFL video on YouTube (which possibly means it's the most watched AFL clip of all time in any capacity):

From then on I reckon they realised that it was free marketing, and also they started putting up a lot of highlights from games in-play.

They still don't understand the importance of prompt highlights and high quality. Sometimes I wonder of they do it intentionally just so people like you and me can't reuse the clip.

My tactic for HD footage is downing the high quality match replays that the AFL match centre has available 24 hours after a game. Probably the only piece of HD content you'll ever see the AFL's name associated with. *cough* grand final *cough*

Telstra's involvement with the AFL has always pretty clearly been driven by the idea that they could derive substantial traffic/subscription from having control of digital media. You wonder if at some point (maybe SJ that video did it) the League realised that having its content tied to a single provider whose online platforms were consistently s**t was bad for the brand.

Alternate theory: they realised all the big American leagues have YouTube accounts and so copied them as a matter of principle.

Telstra's involvement with the AFL has always pretty clearly been driven by the idea that they could derive substantial traffic/subscription from having control of digital media. You wonder if at some point (maybe SJ that video did it) the League realised that having its content tied to a single provider whose online platforms were consistently s**t was bad for the brand.

Alternate theory: they realised all the big American leagues have YouTube accounts and so copied them as a matter of principle.
Until recently their channel was still called BigPondAFL.

I do wonder what they think of that. My video of Walker's mark is by far the most watched:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=afl&search_sort=video_view_count

It has five times as many views as their most watched video.

Yeah I knew that google always gets part of the advertising. But I didn't know they could use any content.

Not me. If I was claiming advertising for it I would be in strife.
And so why aren't the AFL into google? Or maybe they are.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back