Strategy Geelongs forward line by the end of 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

My main concern is our ruckmen.
McIntosh - Played well in the first half of 2014, but wasn't great later on, and injury cruelled his last few weeks. Maybe another pre season under his belt will help, but he is quite old now (will be 31 at beginning of next year's finals series), amd I feel that he may never get back to his best (which Had him in the best 5 ruckman in the league).
Dawson Simpson - I reckon he's cooked. He showed potential esrly in his career, but now injuires have killed him. Even if he can stay injury free this year, the damage has been done - he development has been held back, and he really needed to get some solid games into him earlier on. By round 1 2015, he will be 26 years old, and I feel that the likely outcome for him to to become a VFL ruckman (when he's actually fit enough to play).

In my opinion, at the moment we don't have a genuine #1 ruckman. This could change if HMac can stay fit and healthy, but it doesn't look likely. He may end up playing 16 or so games this year, but probably won't perform well enoug to be a genuine #1 ruckman. Let's all hope that he does.

Other options include:
Vardy - Possible, but I have always felt that he is much better as a key forward (and as a #2 ruckman), and he also has major injury issues.
Clark - same as Vardy
Stanley - Also an option, but I dont think he can be a genuine ruckman, although he should be able to pinch-hit. He could cement a spot in the forward or back line, and could be a handy backup ruckman.
Walker - definitley not a #1 ruckman - not quite tall enough and I like the look of him up forward. Could end up being another pinch-hitter in the ruck.

So there we have it. If HMac doesn't work out, then we are stuck without a genuine ruckman for this season (unless of course a miracle happens and Simpson gets back on the track and improves significantly). I feel that we have collected too many "#2 ruckman"/"half ruckman"/backup ruckman and pinch-hitters, e.g. Vardy, Walker, Stanley, Clark, Paidrag lucey, blicavs
We really need a solid #1 ruckman if we are to have a really successful season.

Last edited:
In regards to ruckman at GFC next season - who knows who will be the two ruckman ? So much depends on fitness (Vardy and Simpson) and form.

I am willing to bet that Blitz will still be the 2 nd ruckman and GFC is placing faith in him with, now, 3 pre-seasons and 40 odd senior games to keep developing and get better at rucking duties, especially in creating options around the ground. I do not think anyone would say that he has not developed into a passable footy player and second ruckman.

My be then is GFC think he will develop and become a good second ruckman over this year. So he keeps his spot from last season.

So we could see Simpson and Blitz (my preferred combo if Simpson can get fit and some continuity in senior footy), Stanley and Blitz or Vardy and Blitz.

There will be 2 rucks and there will be a Blitz.

FWD: Bartel Hawkins McCarthy
CHF: Murdoch Clark Stokes
CEN: Motlop Selwood Duncan
CHB: Thurlow Taylor Mackie
BAC: Enright Lonergan Rivers
RUC: Stanley Caddy Horlin-Smith
I/C: Guthrie Blicavs Johnson (Bews)
EMG: Hartman Lang Jansen

Have I forgotten anybody? Kelly/Hmac did not make the cut. This my ideal thing

Like the idea of Clark/Stanley swapping with Blicavs being there too.

And the longer that remains the case, the more people will doubt their ability to get up for round 1.

Don't like the chances, but we still have time but not that much.
I'm hoping they're training somewhere else atm, but why would they do that? Possibly some light running apart from gym, these two are a worry.

Maybe, but the problem I see is that we are 2 weeks from christmas and still neither Simpson or McIntosh have been sighted at Pres-season training.
I saw a photo of Simpson doing laps at training the other day somewhere.

Found it -

daws_linc.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am willing to bet that Blitz will still be the 2 nd ruckman and GFC is placing faith in him with, now, 3 pre-seasons and 40 odd senior games to keep developing and get better at rucking duties, especially in creating options around the ground. I do not think anyone would say that he has not developed into a passable footy player and second ruckman.

My be then is GFC think he will develop and become a good second ruckman over this year. So he keeps his spot from last season.

If we have a good first ruckman we can carry Blicavs. If we don't - as shown pretty brutally by Goldstein last September - we can't. His disposal count needs to go up and his hitout count really needs to go up.

True but it really sickens me. Just proves Scott is a liar. "Form over reputation" pfft.
What other ruckmen has form over Hamish?

When fit (which didn't last all season) he was our best ruckmen in 2014.

If McIntosh is fit, he will play.

Is that like saying if a Chicken has feathers it will fly? I don't think he get fit enough to match others on our list , if we play him when he has done less work ..is his ruck work really that much of an advantage?
I think that game last year when he was struggling in the last sort of brought the hammer down on him.. no more allowances his advantages do not over come his shortcomings. If he fit to the required level fine , but do not set new levels for him , not anymore.

Is that like saying if a Chicken has feathers it will fly? I don't think he get fit enough to match others on our list , if we play him when he has done less work ..is his ruck work really that much of an advantage?
I think that game last year when he was struggling in the last sort of brought the hammer down on him.. no more allowances his advantages do not over come his shortcomings. If he fit to the required level fine , but do not set new levels for him , not anymore.

That makes perfect sense. The big query is will the club actually behave like that. Because having injured or unfit players running around has sadly been very common in the last few years, and we have no idea whether or not that will be changing.

Besides, there are plenty of players in the team with big shortcomings that are tolerated. Be unfair to isolate just McIntosh.

Forward line structure will be set up as follows:

Tall forwards: Hawkins & Clark - a must.

3rd tall/resting second ruck: Kersten OR Stanley or Vardy - There can only be one, when there are already Hawkins and Clark present. I'd go with the most natural third tall, being Kersten, and one of Stanley/Vardy on the bench in support of McIntosh.

medium: Bartel - to add class and extra marking power.

Small: McCarthy - role is to enforce relentless pressure and be at the feet of the talls.

6th forward: one of Motlop/Duncan/Selwood/Murdoch/Stokes/Hartman/Cockatoo/Caddy rotating through.

I'm also assuming Menzel won't be there (even though I hope like hell he makes it back).

Ideal setup:

HF: Bartel - Clark - Motlop
FF: McCarthy - Hawkins - Kersten

Rucks: McIntosh & Vardy (with Blicavs spending most time in defense)

I think Stanley needs to prove he can overtake Vardy to get a spot in the side.. and will no doubt be in the 22 come round 1, but I think Vardy will overtake him once fit. I think Kersten is the more natural third forward that fits better with 2 monsters in Clark and Hawkins, plus he needs games under his belt.

Ideal setup:

HF: Bartel - Clark - Motlop
FF: McCarthy - Hawkins - Kersten

Rucks: McIntosh & Vardy (with Blicavs spending most time in defense)

I think Stanley needs to prove he can overtake Vardy to get a spot in the side.. and will no doubt be in the 22 come round 1, but I think Vardy will overtake him once fit. I think Kersten is the more natural third forward that fits better with 2 monsters in Clark and Hawkins, plus he needs games under his belt.

I think we're going to be far too big no matter what happens.

Maybe, but the problem I see is that we are 2 weeks from christmas and still neither Simpson or McIntosh have been sighted at Pres-season training.

Seen footage of Daws running laps with Menzel I think it was. And he was running..

Go Catters

If McIntosh is fit, he will play.

I did say IF……and IF he is fit, he does match the others on our list, unless Stanley does more in the ruck than I expect he will.

If anyone is likely to be shot, surely its Simpson…who IMO doesn't do enough around the ground anyway …Clark won't ruck….Blicavs is no first ruck….I think we better hope McIntosh is fit and playing in top form. Another full pre-season (IF he's fit) might top him off so we don't see that fade out at the end of the year. That fade out btw wasn't unexpected, surely.

Unless of course you want to go with Vardy…..who is on a modified program anyway…I like Vardy but I can't go with that option in 2015.

Turbo…I don't think McIntosh's fade out really will bring the "hammer down" on him…nor really should it. I don't think football clubs work like that…..

Its a new season, the slate is clean….who is going to show the form required. We'll know early February I guess.

Seen footage of Daws running laps with Menzel I think it was. And he was running..

Go Catters

Well good on him…I hope he gets back to his best….but you wonder after multiple back surgeries and being such a big man, whether he can return to full fitness.. and regain full mobility.

Fingers crossed for him tho.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back