No Oppo Supporters General AFL and other clubs discussion thread. **Opposition fans not welcome**

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
O
Cos that's where he was being paid. If he wasn't being paid, he'd hate them.

Would almost be us hiring Hird to be part of our coaching staff and him suddenly loving Hawthorn.
Or view it as he was being paid to be a coach and for whatever reason for mock to be a coach he can't be nice to media.

I am an indigenous australian, my wife is a mekeo woman from PNG. Both of us hold PhD's (me in chemistry and my wife in English - the empowerment of indigenous women through writing)

I am fairly fair skinned and have never had trouble with being indigenous, I only tick the box if it affects positively the statistics. (There aren't many indigenous PhD's outside of Indigenous studies) and their are fewer with university medals.

I can't abide racism, nor can I abide divisiveness the sort dished out by Goodes. My kids are all mixed up in terms of race, they are human. But to say there isn't racism levelled at white people is also drawing a long bow. While I agree calling a white person white has less derogatory nature to it than calling a black person black, neither in and of itself is racist in thee same way as changing speech patterns for the sake of political correctness changes nothing in terms a persons heart or mind, only their mouth.

What I find offensive is walking into a bank and applying for a loan for a new car having it all approved and then my wife and kids entering and having it rejected within 60 seconds of this occurence.

I suppose people can easily misunderstand a situation and perhaps I have in that instance but it sure didn't look like it.

Things are sometimes easily misunderstood. I posted something in the adam goodes thread and people eg Messenger completely misunderstood the point of the post.

Live and learn.
I had an aboriginal partner for 9 years in another life. I saw racism first hand, similar to your bank story. From shop owners, police, even friends and family. It's moulded me into the person that I am, no doubt.

In saying that, I was called a "Gubbar" plenty of times jokingly, but it carries no offensive undertones to me, despite knowing that it's not a positive term for a white fella.

I mean, what's the connotation of being called a white bastard? Is it that I come form a good socio-economic background, with a strong history of inclusion in the community, and have the great emotional health?

Yeah, being white ain't so bad.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Matilda05

All Australian
Jul 28, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I had an aboriginal partner for 9 years in another life. I saw racism first hand, similar to your bank story. From shop owners, police, even friends and family. It's moulded me into the person that I am, no doubt.

In saying that, I was called a "Gubbar" plenty of times jokingly, but it carries no offensive undertones to me, despite knowing that it's not a positive term for a white fella.

I mean, what's the connotation of being called a white bastard? Is it that I come form a good socio-economic background, with a strong history of inclusion in the community, and have the great emotional health?

Yeah, being white ain't so bad.
What's a "Gubbar" ? Please excuse my ignorance I have never heard that term before

What's a "Gubbar" ? Please excuse my ignorance I have never heard that term before
Aboriginal term for a white fella. Derogatory in most instances.

I suppose people can easily misunderstand a situation and perhaps I have in that instance but it sure didn't look like it.

Things are sometimes easily misunderstood. I posted something in the adam goodes thread and people eg Messenger completely misunderstood the point of the post.

Live and learn.

No, I understood the "point" you were trying to make. I found it to be silly and offensive as did the five board member who reported it and described it similarly.

skwunk

Club Legend
Aug 26, 2014
Brisbane
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Australia (Cricket), Brooklyn Nets
Since I've started watching the Sydney vs Carlton game, it has been an even contest, if it wasn't for the umpiring, sheesh...

It was originally anyone who represented white power. as in "gubberment"

Now it simply means white person.

No, I understood the "point" you were trying to make. I found it to be silly and offensive as did the five board member who reported it and described it similarly.
No you didn't, and neither did they. But doesn't matter.

Probably had a paragraph missing, I had a pretty raging headache when I posted it. But still, you didn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back