No Oppo Supporters General AFL and other clubs discussion thread. **Opposition fans not welcome**

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
View attachment 168643 Not hard to see why people want out of Brisbane. When you've got nothing to play for and your club is a mess on every level - get a new mascot!

What's with getting rid of the mascot? It's a lion, they are the lions? Weird.

Gerard who??????

Gerard Healy is a pompous c unt faced gremlin who enjoyed getting his arse punished by the great hawthorn football club over and over when his career meant something.

How this guy still gets a gig is beyond me. His bias against hawthorn is ridiculous. Why is this idiot allowed to speak?

KOLOKOTRONIS

We should rest our whole team so we lose and get to play Freo week one. AFL has given the ok for it for freo.
Impossible to genuinely lose to tanking and injured blues though. Solid argument that playing vfl qf is better finals preparation.

View attachment 168643 Not hard to see why people want out of Brisbane. When you've got nothing to play for and your club is a mess on every level - get a new mascot!
What is that thing coming out of its face? and it's got hair like Bronwyn Bishop - maybe that's why it had to be dumped too? :D

So there is talk that North are apparently going to "rest" players heading into the finals and Denham has said that the afl have indicated that they will throw the book at them if they do

Now I don't have a problem with clubs resting players if that's what they want to do but you can't fine one for doing it even though we know the reasons but not the other just because they finished first.

AFL logic at its finest on display again

So there is talk that North are apparently going to "rest" players heading into the finals and Denham has said that the afl have indicated that they will throw the book at them if they do

Now I don't have a problem with clubs resting players if that's what they want to do but you can't fine one for doing it even though we know the reasons but not the other just because they finished first.

Isn't that what the A.F.L. is known for? Condemning a club* for something, while condoning the same for another club.* *Club could be replaced by player.

We, at Hawthorn have first hand experience of this.

Playing Devil's Advocate here - but isn't the AFL's argument for allowing Freo to rest players based on the fact that the result has no real ramifications as Port can't make the finals and Freo can't lose top spot? Plus being played in Adelaide and a likely gimme win you would expect the Port crowd would be more or less the same. The only impact to Port being given an easier run is that it may get them a lower draft pick than if they had lost to a full-strength team and GWS beat Melbourne as expected. Could argue that Port might tank if that's their mindset - which I doubt it is.

The Tigers v North game does have ramifications - and if North rested players then the crowd could be impacted as well. I can see why the AFL are treating the circumstances differently.

Playing Devil's Advocate here - but isn't the AFL's argument for allowing Freo to rest players based on the fact that the result has no real ramifications as Port can't make the finals and Freo can't lose top spot? Plus being played in Adelaide and a likely gimme win you would expect the Port crowd would be more or less the same. The only impact to Port being given an easier run is that it may get them a lower draft pick than if they had lost to a full-strength team and GWS beat Melbourne as expected. Could argue that Port might tank if that's their mindset - which I doubt it is.

The Tigers v North game does have ramifications - and if North rested players then the crowd could be impacted as well. I can see why the AFL are treating the circumstances differently.

That's the exact reason but my point is that you can't have a rule for one but then change it to suit circumstances. There shouldn't be any gray areas at all regardless of where you finish. Who knows, maybe the rules state exactly that

Whether Freo or Port win, the ladder doesn't change.

That's why the AFL have no issue with Freo resting players, and why they would with North doing it.

Edit: Adopter is all over it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Or, alternately, create the perception of Hawthorn abusing it.

[see Robbo]

69564_9160bc80f564963eb35b93725b1ece49.jpg

Love the iiNet of the Champs featuring Dipper and Dermie on the HFC website. Love the little stories in the out takes. Consider myself so fortunate to have witnessed these guys play back in the 80's. 5 time day and 5 time night premiership players. Not too many can boast similar credentials from other clubs.

Last edited:
The only way to enforce a rule? Get Hawthorn to abuse it
Funny you should mention this. Just yesterday a work colleague of mine showed me a YouTube compilation of all the hawthorn rushed behinds from the 08 GF. Gotta say when you see this again it was pretty bad........then again, who cares :D we won within the rules.

Funny you should mention this. Just yesterday a work colleague of mine showed me a YouTube compilation of all the hawthorn rushed behinds from the 08 GF. Gotta say when you see this again it was pretty bad........then again, who cares :D we won within the rules.

The funny part is that half of those are actually still legal, as long as you're being "pressured" it's OK [for everyone but Hawthorn, I'm sure]

Don't the fans attending the game deserve to see the best players play? Hawthorn can't move on the ladder so can we rest players? Would it matter if Carlton were competing for a top 8 spot? If so you can see how this ruling by the afl is a complete joke and resting should be available to all or none.

Don't the fans attending the game deserve to see the best players play? Hawthorn can't move on the ladder so can we rest players? Would it matter if Carlton were competing for a top 8 spot? If so you can see how this ruling by the afl is a complete joke and resting should be available to all or none.
We can drop to 4th :p

The funny part is that half of those are actually still legal, as long as you're being "pressured" it's OK [for everyone but Hawthorn, I'm sure]
Just watched it and was about to say the same thing. By the current definition about half of them were fine. Another few border line (intention clear, pressure technically there) and only a couple were blatantly against the current rule.

Admittedly I never really noticed how many times we used that tactic in that game. No wonder they were filthy about it! Lol

Just watched it and was about to say the same thing. By the current definition about half of them were fine. Another few border line (intention clear, pressure technically there) and only a couple were blatantly against the current rule.

Admittedly I never really noticed how many times we used that tactic in that game. No wonder they were filthy about it! Lol
Didn't they bring the rule in after that Richmond guy took the piss and ran back like 20 metres to rush a behind?

Didn't they bring the rule in after that Richmond guy took the piss and ran back like 20 metres to rush a behind?
Bowden, yeah he was the worst. But GF is going to cop a lot of attention especially if you rob the greatest team of all time of their birth right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back