No Oppo Supporters General AFL and other clubs discussion thread. **Opposition fans not welcome**

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm with KS on this.
The Suns will be envied by everyone in 3 years when the draftees start to show their wares and they are dominating. They've literally been handed the keys to Harvey Norman and told to shop til they drop.
You can only imagine that the salary cap may eventually squeeze a couple out, but right now, as it stands, they've assembled a list of star youngsters like nothing we've ever seen in the comp.

I notice the SUNS have 48 players on their list (excl Rookies). Does anyone know when their list has to be pruned to the normal size? Also was wondering if they are getting any special treatments for 'Veterans' status or does their extra $$s in the salary cap compensate for this, as obviously they will not have anyone eligible for Veteran status for at least 10 years.

I'm with KS on this.
The Suns will be envied by everyone in 3 years when the draftees start to show their wares and they are dominating. They've literally been handed the keys to Harvey Norman and told to shop til they drop.
You can only imagine that the salary cap may eventually squeeze a couple out, but right now, as it stands, they've assembled a list of star youngsters like nothing we've ever seen in the comp.

I disagree with this - I think the suns playing list will form a hierarchy similarly to most other clubs: 3-5 extremely good players/elite, 20-odd average-very good players and the rest making up the numbers. It happens whenever you get the best of the best together - a new rank emerges and the guys who are at the lower end underperform and the guys at the top of the list get even more out of themselves.

Geelong, with their all star cast of Ablett, Scarlett, Bartell, Corey, Enright, etc etc still needed 7 years together to bring home the chocolates. There is no way in hell that GC will be able to put together the same feat in half the time. Just can't be done.

I mean, the Hawks are the exception to the rule. A 3 year rebuild then a flag just doesn't happen. Other teams have tried, but they take a LOT longer to develop. And we had a great core of players from the Schwab era who needed a bit of a prod to get the best out of themselves.

I just hope we poach a few talented homesick kids that need a fresh start in 2-3 years and they plug some important structural holes and help us make a mockery of the whole damn system.

I disagree with this - I think the suns playing list will form a hierarchy similarly to most other clubs: 3-5 extremely good players/elite, 20-odd average-very good players and the rest making up the numbers. It happens whenever you get the best of the best together - a new rank emerges and the guys who are at the lower end underperform and the guys at the top of the list get even more out of themselves.

Geelong, with their all star cast of Ablett, Scarlett, Bartell, Corey, Enright, etc etc still needed 7 years together to bring home the chocolates. There is no way in hell that GC will be able to put together the same feat in half the time. Just can't be done.

I mean, the Hawks are the exception to the rule. A 3 year rebuild then a flag just doesn't happen. Other teams have tried, but they take a LOT longer to develop. And we had a great core of players from the Schwab era who needed a bit of a prod to get the best out of themselves.

I just hope we poach a few talented homesick kids that need a fresh start in 2-3 years and they plug some important structural holes and help us make a mockery of the whole damn system.

:thumbsu: Crisis breeds ingenuity...

I repsectfully disagree, Mr Poisoning.

What the GC have amassed is a picking over of the drafting system, allowing them to grab far more top picks than any other club in the comp has ever had. Therefore the logical point of view is that, the more picks they've had given to them, the more chance they are of unearthing genuine stars.
If you make a comparison to the picks they have had in the last two drafts, (as well as access to 17yr olds and mature players) and drop that same scenario back to around 2004-2005 you'll soon see that their list will be littered with players who are rated comparably to those of Franklin, Roughead, Deledio, Murphy, Kennedy, Pendlebury, etc in their specific drafting years( I saw the lsit somewhere....I'll have to find it...it's daunting).
I guess we'll wait and see how it works out, but IMO, they've been handed a plethora of top picks, and they'll have to be doing something majorly wrong development wise for any of the other clubs to outperform them once these players get some games under their belt.

Gal, you've just experienced one of my wine-induced theories of how the world works. It's either brilliantly insightful or very, very wrong. Right now it just FEELS SO SO RIGHT! LIKE I'VE JUST CRACKED THE DAMN CODE.

I'm just saying that if you put Franklin, Deledio, Griffen and whoever else all in the same side they won't all become stars as they have done maturing in different sides.

Gal, you've just experienced one of my wine-induced theories of how the world works. It's either brilliantly insightful or very, very wrong. Right now it just FEELS SO SO RIGHT! LIKE I'VE JUST CRACKED THE DAMN CODE.

I'm just saying that if you put Franklin, Deledio, Griffen and whoever else all in the same side they won't all become stars as they have done maturing in different sides.
Interesting theory that one, but I'm still not agreeing. ;)

What the GC have amassed is a picking over of the drafting system, allowing them to grab far more top picks than any other club in the comp has ever had. Therefore the logical point of view is that, the more picks they've had given to them, the more chance they are of unearthing genuine stars.
If you make a comparison to the picks they have had in the last two drafts, (as well as access to 17yr olds and mature players) and drop that same scenario back to around 2004-2005 you'll soon see that their list will be littered with players who are rated comparably to those of Franklin, Roughead, Deledio, Murphy, Kennedy, Pendlebury, etc in their specific drafting years( I saw the lsit somewhere....I'll have to find it...it's daunting).
I guess we'll wait and see how it works out, but IMO, they've been handed a plethora of top picks, and they'll have to be doing something majorly wrong development wise for any of the other clubs to outperform them once these players get some games under their belt.

I guess an argument to discredit this is Geelong 2007-09. They did recruit a number of good stars, however it was shown in 08 they could be beeaten in the most crucial game of all despite their superior list. The same goes for Collimngwood who in 2010 beat St Kilda and Geelong who arguably had stronger lists on paper but got done by their superiotr gameplan.

In reality they are not going to get successive years of this like was available to clubs in the old zoning system should they have got a strong zone for a period of time such as us in the 70s and 80s, Collingwood in the late 20s and Geelong in the early 50s.

Rumour. Thompson was on $750K at Cats. At Ess He Is on $1m and Hird is on $1.1.
Interesting in light of
1.statements that he is getting less at Ess than he was at cats..... not true
2. Ess spending like drunken sailors.....keep wasting that money

You may as well add the money they used to pay out Knights and divide it amongst those two. So effectively the signatures of Hird and Thompson cost them $3 million+

I just saw this over on the Carlton board... and it's truly awful.

Click me.
The Club has received the following message this morning...

TOP SECRET AND CONFIDENTIAL

GEELONG CATS EYES ONLY

PROJECT DNA 2011

To whom it may concern,

It is with great pleasure that I announce my research and subsequent experiments have been successful.

The link below to my results will show you the great breakthrough I have made.

[YOUTUBE]RTBdqYZKWME[/YOUTUBE]

It is a great day for all of us.

Bring on 2011.

Yours,

Professor William Brownless

Note: Send this on to trusted confidants, they must know of what we have done here.

You know your membership campaign is bad when Carlton supporters are hanging it on it.

I saw it a couple of weeks ago. It's beyond bad. The attempt to try to make the thing go viral is woeful.

I don't think there would be many ad agencies in this galaxy who would willingly put their name to that shocker.

It's hard to know what the aim was.

I mean, by the sheer fact that they've got Brownless in the clip they're going for the humour angle, yet their slogan "it's in our DNA" really struggles to be taken seriously as it is, without Brownless acting like a clown as well.

I'm not sure they could've missed the mark by any further, and that slogan as the basis of the campaign is just plain terrible.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting to hear North likely to get 2 games a year in hobart from 2012

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/north-melbourne-seals-tassie-deal/story-e6frf9jf-1225973561302

"NORTH Melbourne is set to play two games a year in Hobart from 2012. The Kangaroos, former Tasmanian Premier Paul Lennon and Cricket Tasmania brokered the deal, which is expected to tip about $750,000 a game into North Melbourne's coffers."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/north-melbourne-seals-tassie-deal/story-e6frf9jf-1225973561302

Am interested to hear what peoples views are as to how, if at all, this will effect the Hawks.

North again just riding the coattails of our hard work and whoring themselves wherever they can steal a buck. It used to be pan handling and robbing old ducks, now it's us.

It's hard to know what the aim was.

I mean, by the sheer fact that they've got Brownless in the clip they're going for the humour angle, yet their slogan "it's in our DNA" really struggles to be taken seriously as it is, without Brownless acting like a clown as well.

I'm not sure they could've missed the mark by any further, and that slogan as the basis of the campaign is just plain terrible.

Linking Brownless and DNA is fraught with danger.

"NORTH Melbourne is set to play two games a year in Hobart from 2012. The Kangaroos, former Tasmanian Premier Paul Lennon and Cricket Tasmania brokered the deal, which is expected to tip about $750,000 a game into North Melbourne's coffers."

Am interested to hear what peoples views are as to how, if at all, this will effect the Hawks.

Good on them, however they have been beaten to the market and only provide basically an alternative. 2 games is less then what we play and we've already done soo much work its hard to see the kangaroos having the same sucess as we have had

Am interested to hear what peoples views are as to holw, if at all, this will effect the Hawks.

They are big numbers. $650000 roughly per game and 5.5 million to the local economy. If the Kangaroos are capabable of drawing those sorts of figures in Hobart, imagine the money they could generate in Melbourne???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back