No Oppo Supporters General AFL and other clubs discussion thread. **Opposition fans not welcome**

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

How bad is Lisle? OMG
Mentioned to my sons that he was a former Hawthorn player that we traded for a pack of chips.
The response - what flavour :D:thumbsu:

Chicken Thins???

I think it's funny that the Bulldogs, North and Carlton are all putting their hands up for a Good Friday game.

If we got off on watching the helpless, we'd watch the appeal, guys.

Can't help but smile at all the remarks about :Siht teams" in this thread. You have all been spoiled.
The team I followed in 1950 lost every game, and they were Siht! That team was Hawthorn, and they're definitely not siht.

You make me feel young Thaihawk

Can't help but smile at all the remarks about :Siht teams" in this thread. You have all been spoiled.
The team I followed in 1950 lost every game, and they were Siht! That team was Hawthorn, and they're definitely not siht.

How quickly they forget - you would think for a team that faced a merger so recently that they would be all for supporting the underdog

How quickly they forget - you would think for a team that faced a merger so recently that they would be all for supporting the underdog

Yes, CP. Just a reminder to all the "Lucky Ones," there were times when following the Hawks was not fashionable. I think when I first joined we had around 3,000 members. Almost all of whom lived within walking distance from the ground. Or, maybe a tram or train ride away. Parking was hopeless.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But that was in the 1950s not in the enlightened 2010s when we have this wonderful thing called equalisation that is supposed to remove any chance of non-competitive teams.

But that was in the 1950s not in the enlightened 2010s when we have this wonderful thing called equalisation that is supposed to remove any chance of non-competitive teams.

Well said. Funds were raised by fans dipping into their pockets to buy raffle tickets, and a 3/4 time sheet carried around the ground for us to toss coins onto. Nowadays, multimillion dollar deals are are done by companies, in return for finals tickets, that the poor fans can no longer access.

The good old days, yes and no.

Yes, CP. Just a reminder to all the "Lucky Ones," there were times when following the Hawks was not fashionable. I think when I first joined we had around 3,000 members. Almost all of whom lived within walking distance from the ground. Or, maybe a tram or train ride away. Parking was hopeless.
I hear you Thaihawk.

In fairness, footy was almost a completely different sport then. Next to no corporate influence, no interstate franchises, hometown suburban feel to all the grounds except the MCG. (and even there you had the old southern stand) players who resembled normal human beings rather than "enhanced" athletes, no cadres of assistant coaches & support staff, no draft or salary cap, no AFL handouts, designated blockbusters or marquee timeslots...

I don't mean to suggest all the changes have been negative either. Surfaces have improved out of sight at all grounds, standing room is largely a thing of the past (for those of us who never liked it), fewer reported incidents of violence occurring among spectators (thankyou very much lite beer) and of course the removal of stadiums like Windy Hill & Victoria Park from the equation can only be seen as a benefit.

I have to say though, what I miss most about the "good ol' days" was how tribal it felt. Things are too sanitized now, there's too many teams you can't work up a decent hatred for and we've all become a bit too polite and well-mannered too each other. I suspect a reduction in on-field violence has contributed to this more than some people realize, since it was always the #1 cause of friction between supporter groups in the past. Very hard to taunt an Essendon supporter with "Oh yeah? Well you guys better watch yourselves or next time we meet we'll spread twice as fast from contests!"

I hear you Thaihawk.

In fairness, footy was almost a completely different sport then. Next to no corporate influence, no interstate franchises, hometown suburban feel to all the grounds except the MCG. (and even there you had the old southern stand) players who resembled normal human beings rather than "enhanced" athletes, no cadres of assistant coaches & support staff, no draft or salary cap, no AFL handouts, designated blockbusters or marquee timeslots...

I don't mean to suggest all the changes have been negative either. Surfaces have improved out of sight at all grounds, standing room is largely a thing of the past (for those of us who never liked it), fewer reported incidents of violence occurring among spectators (thankyou very much lite beer) and of course the removal of stadiums like Windy Hill & Victoria Park from the equation can only be seen as a benefit.

I have to say though, what I miss most about the "good ol' days" was how tribal it felt. Things are too sanitized now, there's too many teams you can't work up a decent hatred for and we've all become a bit too polite and well-mannered too each other. I suspect a reduction in on-field violence has contributed to this more than some people realize, since it was always the #1 cause of friction between supporter groups in the past. Very hard to taunt an Essendon supporter with "Oh yeah? Well you guys better watch yourselves or next time we meet we'll spread twice as fast from contests!"

Lost much in the transition from a sport to a business. I'm glad you said next to no corporate influence, because I remember a bloke who used a jam factory to buy a brewery, and he placed a great deal of corporate money with his club.
What I miss is the kick to kick after the game, and listening to the coaches address at 3/4 time.
I should add I believe the way we vet potential players is way out there. Watching videos, and listening to interviews with our players, we seem to have a great quality of young men. (Maybe Dayle's departure was eminent, and a good thing.) I still, and will have brown and gold blood in my veins to the end.

Or Bosk, I still hate Essendon, Carlton, and Collingwood passionately!!!

Yeah but whereas our team dug deep to get out of the hole, operation payback, record memberships, selling games to Tassie.

The 'underdog' teams these days whinge and whine to the afl with their hands out. Whilst bagging us by calling us the Tassie hawks.

F**** em I say

Watching the qualifying final again - jeez spangher was unlucky to lose his spot
The guy will never die wondering - just gave every contest 100%

Loved the moment when Bruce claimed that getting pushed in the back, and having a shot for goal in the first 1/4 was 'the highlight of his career'.

Loved the moment when Bruce claimed that getting pushed in the back, and having a shot for goal in the first 1/4 was 'the highlight of his career'.

My favourite moment is Tom Harley once again picking the swans

My favourite moment is Tom Harley once again picking the swans

I lie - my new favourite moment is when it looks like longmire is crying in the box but in reality behind that hand is just saying *, *, *

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back