No Oppo Supporters General AFL and other clubs discussion thread. **Opposition fans not welcome**

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

A more relevant thread would be about how the AFL have now soften the trade ban on Sydney. They are now allowed to bring in players who's contract for next year does not exceed $340k.

What is to stop Sydney from offering a back ended contract to another superstar player whilst only offering them 340k next year? This club is the master of loopholes and exploiting and advantages, it wouldn't surprise me to see them exploit this one.

Maybe they were using them in September.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...leep-pods-at-scg/story-fni5fan7-1227191191700

Sydney Swans install two sleep pods at SCG

• Neil Cordy
  • The Daily Telegraph
  • January 20, 2015 9:00PM

upload_2015-1-21_15-10-36.png
Sydney Swan Dane Rampe is emotional after Franklin calls dibs on the $wans’ new “Sleep Pod”.

MEDITERRANEAN countries have enjoyed the benefits of the siesta for centuries and now the Sydney Swans want to harness the value of an afternoon nap and sleep their way to a premiership.

Two sleep pods have been installed in the change rooms at the SCG for players to grab some shut-eye whenever they feel the need.

Emerging defender Xavier Richards was one of the first to try the pods.

“It’s not claustrophobic, it’s very cosy,” he said.

“Early on in pre-season we were having hard sessions in the morning and another in the afternoon, so it was good to have a break between those.

“In those two hours between the sessions, instead of going home I had a nap and you feel really fresh. It’s really convenient, you don’t have to waste time travelling home.”

upload_2015-1-21_15-11-24.png
'It's nap time Hannerbury'. Breust puts Hannerbury to sleep in the Grand Final, no Sleep Pod required.

The Swans are the first sporting club in Australia to use the devices, manufactured in the UK and costing $3500 each.

Their use is already widespread in the English Premier League, where teams including Manchester United have pods at their training venues.

NRL team the Sydney Roosters has expressed an interest in the pods and so has the team that thrashed Sydney in the Grand Final, Hawthorn.

“The sports science, the medical and coaching department are always looking for ways to get that one per cent advantage that will benefit us and they’ve added the sleep pod to the arsenal of what we’re doing,” Richards said.

Sydney has been at cutting edge of sports science and medicine.

The clubrooms at the SCG also have an altitude training room and an AlterG anti-gravity treadmill.

upload_2015-1-21_15-15-51.png
The $wans only have 2 Sleep Pods, Mitchell tells them during September last year how many the Hawks intend to buy.

They have also been at the forefront of using the LARS synthetic ligament in knee reconstructions and the use of stem cell treatments for knee cartilage injuries.

Time in the sleep pods is restricted to a maximum of 20 minutes to prevent players falling into a deep sleep, thus negatively effecting normal sleeping habits.

“It’s not a replacement for a good night’s sleep,” Swans high performance manager Peter Berbakov said.

“The pods are a piece of performance equipment. It puts players into a mode where they are using the pod for a purpose.

“We’ve known for a long time that other cultures have reaped the rewards of an afternoon nap. There is a lot of research that shows the positive benefits of a power nap.

“Cognitive function improves, as does physical performance. Players are also better able to listen, learn and take instruction from the coaches.

“It gives players full privacy and it doesn’t have to be used for sleeping. The players can also use it for quite time and meditation.”

The use of the sleep pods is still in its infancy and the club expects to increase their use slowly.

Originally published as Swans caught napping in new pods

I noticed that the pictures in the original article didn't seem to match the text, so I fixed them.

You are welcome Daily Telegraph.

How elitist. When the $wines pull out their boring defensive game plan next season, I'm guessing only the rich and famous will be able to use them. All normal spectators in the outer will have to use their plastic seats as usual.

Sydney members should be up in arms, that is if they haven't already gone back to that sh*tstain of a sport called NRL coz the AFL isn't propping their team up properly.

I like the idea. Work would get heaps more out of me some arvos (and if they banned BF God forbid) if I could steal 20 in a pod from time to time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How elitist. When the $wines pull out their boring defensive game plan next season, I'm guessing only the rich and famous will be able to use them. All normal spectators in the outer will have to use their plastic seats as usual.

Sydney members should be up in arms, that is if they haven't already gone back to that sh*tstain of a sport called NRL coz the AFL isn't propping their team up properly.

What are you talking about..... they have a sleep pod for both members

While its ripe for ribbing, its a good idea. I have personally used my car in the car park as a sleep pod at work

Also dont you think it makes us a little obsessed with the swans to have this in our bord ?

I like the idea. Work would get heaps more out of me some arvos (and if they banned BF God forbid) if I could steal 20 in a pod from time to time.
20 what?
20 minutes sleep?
Or the 20 year old blonde intern at reception?

Maybe they were using them in September.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...leep-pods-at-scg/story-fni5fan7-1227191191700

Sydney Swans install two sleep pods at SCG

• Neil Cordy
  • The Daily Telegraph
  • January 20, 2015 9:00PM

191620-cbdabc36-a067-11e4-b35a-60c8936f3ab6.jpg

Sydney Swan Xavier Richards in the Swans’ new “Sleep Pod”. Picture: Phil Hillyard

MEDITERRANEAN countries have enjoyed the benefits of the siesta for centuries and now the Sydney Swans want to harness the value of an afternoon nap and sleep their way to a premiership.

Two sleep pods have been installed in the change rooms at the SCG for players to grab some shut-eye whenever they feel the need.

Emerging defender Xavier Richards was one of the first to try the pods.

“It’s not claustrophobic, it’s very cosy,” he said.

“Early on in pre-season we were having hard sessions in the morning and another in the afternoon, so it was good to have a break between those.

“In those two hours between the sessions, instead of going home I had a nap and you feel really fresh. It’s really convenient, you don’t have to waste time travelling home.”

Last team to bring pods into their club struggled.

upload_2015-1-21_23-8-32.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back