Mega Thread Oh yeah ... did you know there are 17 other teams? - General AFL discussion #9 - Blues posters only

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
As much as we may not want to believe it, the AFL competition is not all about Carlton.

Again I point to the benefits the Hawthorn Football Club have enjoyed from their preparedness to move 4 home games per season to Tassie.

Sorry to snip your post but just wanted to comment on these things in particularly.

I doubt very much that anyone believes that the competition revolves around Carlton, i know i don't. I do know however that we have been screwed over repeatedly over the years with fixturing issues etc.

As far as Hawk supporters go i believe they are able to choose other games they can attend in Melbourne each year as compensation for the home games played in Tassie. There has been no sacrifice at all on their part.

For a club like ours that is trying to get memberships moving upwards etc this to me is a bad move. Somewhere along the line you have to take in consideration that you are adversely affecting the majority of your members/supporters by doing these things. The AFL wouldn't dare fixture clubs like Collingwood or Hawthorn to play a game in NZ in front of a tiny crowd, they just wouldn't accept it. That is why they have huge memberships, they do not agree to things that disadvantage their fans.

In saying this i am not saying i want us to play all our games in Melbourne, happy to play the interstate clubs interstate but not other Melbourne clubs. Not everyone can afford to hop on a plane and jet on over to NZ to enjoy the experience. This used to be a game for all people not just those with a high disposable income. This shift is in my opinion is the saddest part of what the AFL has done over the years. It is also why i have lost my love for the AFL as a competition, i follow the AFL solely with an interest in my club these days and with each passing year they make that more difficult.

It's one freaking game, harden up. :p

I know, given all the bitching and non-attendance of games on Sunday and Monday nights, one game is hardly the end of the world..

It's not a matter of one game or not, it's ANOTHER game that has been scheduled which most people have no hope of either attending or watching live on television. Another game which excludes the involvement of so many supporters including kids. Too much emphasis on the dollar and scant regard for the people as happens with almost every decision to do with the AFL these days.

It's not a matter of one game or not, it's ANOTHER game that has been scheduled which most people have no hope of either attending or watching live on television. Another game which excludes the involvement of so many supporters including kids. Too much emphasis on the dollar and scant regard for the people as happens with almost every decision to do with the AFL these days.

Honestly I'm really excited about Saints v Blues in Wellington. So unique and its different.

In: ANZAC Day in New Zealand
Out: Monday Night Football
Both Saints & Blues fans win

You lot are a bit precious. Try living interstate where you get to see one (or 2 games if you're lucky) game a year. It's not like you get a chance to see them 16 other times next season.

Could always be worse ehh.

I understand your point but as a Melbourne based supporter of a Melbourne based club i expect more, i didn't choose to support an interstate based club and in fact they have probably removed the only game i could attend in a year due to their scheduling:D

I understand your point but as a Melbourne based supporter of a Melbourne based club i expect more, i didn't choose to support an interstate based club.
Sure and I completely understand your point.

However, it's an away game and we don't get a say. It's no different to Hawthorn playing their game against us in Tasmania.

Sure and I completely understand your point.

However, it's an away game and we don't get a say. It's no different to Hawthorn playing their game against us in Tasmania.

Which the AFL would never do, Hawthorn's games in Tassie are mainly against interstate clubs or clubs like the Bulldogs who aren't high drawing clubs. Do you think Hawthorn, Collingwood, Essendon or Richmond would ever agree to play St.Kilda in NZ ever? I don't.

It's miles different. That's their ground in front of a legitimate AFL audience in a legitimate AFL region. NZ is ******* Mars.

The local interest in games in NZ is the equivalent to that in games they used to play in England post-season, close to zilch. It's absurd.

It's miles different. That's their ground in front of a legitimate AFL audience in a legitimate AFL region. NZ is ******* Mars.
Legitimate AFL crowd of 10k people? Seriously?

I don't know why it's so hard to comprehend. It's not our home game.

The club has just come off the back of one hell of a year and our number one concern is where an away game is being played?

You lot are a bit precious. Try living interstate where you get to see one (or 2 games if you're lucky) game a year. It's not like you get a chance to see them 16 other times next season.

Could always be worse ehh.
I don't think some people realise how much better the football landscape is now, even for those living interstate.

When I moved to Brisbane in the mid '80s you had the Saturday afternoon match of the day live & that was it. The Friday night games were not covered at all & even finding out the scores from those games was a challenge. The Courier Mail barely reported on the VFL & the little 5 minute segment on Brisbane's equivalent of World of Sport was a waste of time.

I know the corporatisation of the game upsets some people, but it is much easier to sell the game to broadcasters & to sponsors if they can see that everything is being done to maximise the exposure of the game across Australia & in some International markets.

There has been plenty of angst about the hold Collingwood & Essendon have had over Anzac Day since the mid '90s, so any opportunity for other clubs, including ours, to get a piece of the Anzac Day action is better than sitting back & letting the filth & the scum reap all the benefits of football on this day. The reality is that in the foreseeable future Collingwood & Essendon will continue to have a monopoly over Anzac Day games in Melbourne, so for other teams to enjoy their share of the action there is going to have to be sacrifices/compromise.

I for one are very grateful for our club to get a look in on Anzac Day, even if it involves playing a game across the Tasman. This could be a big opportunity to broaden our support base at the cost of one game a year. Sounds good to me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who said it's hard to comprehend? It's called a difference of opinion. Try to comprehend that. You think it's a better idea playing footy in NZ over footy in Tasmania that's your issue.
The AFL agree we should be playing in NZ. There's your comprehension.

Rather than crack the shits about the fact we've lost an 'away' (this needs emphasis because it doesn't seem to be getting through) game, embrace what is a unique situation for the club.

Or stay bitter and curse the AFL. In the end, it won't change anything.

I don't think some people realise how much better the football landscape is now, even for those living interstate.

When I moved to Brisbane in the mid '80s you had the Saturday afternoon match of the day live & that was it. The Friday night games were not covered at all & even finding out the scores from those games was a challenge. The Courier Mail barely reported on the VFL & the little 5 minute segment on Brisbane's equivalent of World of Sport was a waste of time.

I know the corporatisation of the game upsets some people, but it is much easier to sell the game to broadcasters & to sponsors if they can see that everything is being done to maximise the exposure of the game across Australia & in some International markets.

There has been plenty of angst about the hold Collingwood & Essendon have had over Anzac Day since the mid '90s, so any opportunity for other clubs, including ours, to get a piece of the Anzac Day action is better than sitting back & letting the filth & the scum reap all the benefits of football on this day. The reality is that in the foreseeable future Collingwood & Essendon will continue to have a monopoly over Anzac Day games in Melbourne, so for other teams to enjoy their share of the action there is going to have to be sacrifices/compromise.

I for one are very grateful for our club to get a look in on Anzac Day, even if it involves playing a game across the Tasman. This could be a big opportunity to broaden our support base at the cost of one game a year. Sounds good to me.
Incredibly well put.

Seriously, this is a chance to broaden our supporter base? What it actually does is disenfranchise a large proportion of our core supporter base.

I'll never support a move that means the majority of our supporters can't attend or even view a game on television.

A large proportion? Seriously?

Yes, seriously, most people have no hope of attending a game in NZ and most people also have no access to Foxtel. Those people have therefore been disenfranchised.

The AFL agree we should be playing in NZ. There's your comprehension.

Rather than crack the shits about the fact we've lost an 'away' (this needs emphasis because it doesn't seem to be getting through) game, embrace what is a unique situation for the club.

Or stay bitter and curse the AFL. In the end, it won't change anything.
I'm not cracking the shits about anything [mod edit]. People like you seem to blithely fritter away our games, our standards, our opportunities to attend matches without giving a seconds thought to those missing out. A unique situation for the club? What's unique about it?

Last edited by a moderator:
That doesn't mean a large portion of our supporter base stops following us.

What happens when we play a game in Perth? Head down to a pub/club/rsl/neighbour's etc. to watch it.

That's a different situation, we all accept that we play interstate clubs interstate, not Melbourne clubs. Heading down to a pub, a neighbour's or wherever isn't an option for plenty of people.

What incentive is there to follow a club when increasingly it's made harder for you to attend or even watch a game on TV? This is not membership building stuff.

I'm not cracking the shits about anything, [mod edit]. People like you seem to blithely fritter away our games, our standards, our opportunities to attend matches without giving a seconds thought to those missing out. A unique situation for the club? What's unique about it?

Getting personal? Sure.

Missing out? Like I said previously, try living interstate and following the blues. You get 16 other opportunities to see our side play live. You want me to feel sad that you miss out on one game against s**t opposition? My heart bleeds for you :rolleyes:

You can't tell what's unique about playing in NZ on Anzac day? Honestly mate, if you aren't going to be serious, don't bother replying.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a different situation, we all accept that we play interstate clubs interstate, not Melbourne clubs. Heading down to a pub, a neighbour's or wherever isn't an option for plenty of people.
So I raise the previous example again. Rather than Hawthorn, North Melbourne decide they want to play Carlton at Hobart and it's scheduled for Saturday at 4:40. Same scenario. Outside of Melbourne, in a time slot that isn't on FTA. Same outrage? It's exactly the same thing.

Come on guys, no need to crack it because you don't agree with each other.

For those that can afford to go it will be a bit of a novelty, something a bit different. For those who can't go then it's a bit of a kick in the teeth...a melbourne based club playing a melbourne based team in another country...riiight.
Surely everyone can see the two sides to this.

You can't tell what's unique about playing in NZ on Anzac day? Honestly mate, if you aren't going to be serious, don't bother replying.

Then give every cent to the RSL.

Don't raise the Australian Flag at me to justify a game of football in New Zealand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back