Mega Thread Oh yeah ... did you know there are 17 other teams? - General AFL discussion #9 - Blues posters only

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueboy25

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 14, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
West Perth, Tottenham
Just a quick one folks.

heading over for the blues v hawks game in a couple of weeks at etihad.

What end are our supporters usually based? Any tips on best place to sit.

Navy Cream

Club Legend
May 15, 2010
Currently where I am
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
76ers
Is it just me or does anyone else agree that due to bumbling efforts as a club over the past 15 years, we really are a soft club that toes the AFL line unquestionably. Other clubs make a stand eg Essendope* with Baguleys MRP. We rolled over with Gibbs case. We didn't cause any waves with lack of compensation when we lost Waite and Betts to FA.
We need to be represented as a tough, staunch organisation again. I don't feel that the CFC is respected at any level within the industry. It is time that we once again became a force.
C'mon BLUES, let's get our schizen together and learn how to flex our muscle like old times.
Go BLUES!!

Aug 12, 2012
sv_cheats 1
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Edmonton Oilers
Haha I'm sitting in a navy bar with one other bloke I have never met or spoken to watching AFL 360 and the promo for Goddard coming up appears. We both yell "*******!" at the same time, breaking a 20 minute silence.

This is why I love football :)

Last edited:

King of Ruin

The First Rebellion
Sep 10, 2012
Under The Banners Of War
AFL Club
Carlton
Is it just me or does anyone else agree that due to bumbling efforts as a club over the past 15 years, we really are a soft club that toes the AFL line unquestionably. Other clubs make a stand eg Essendope* with Baguleys MRP. We rolled over with Gibbs case. We didn't cause any waves with lack of compensation when we lost Waite and Betts to FA.
We need to be represented as a tough, staunch organisation again. I don't feel that the CFC is respected at any level within the industry. It is time that we once again became a force.
C'mon BLUES, let's get our schizen together and learn how to flex our muscle like old times.
Go BLUES!!
Let's do drugs too! And act like we did nothing wrong. We can hire some annoying little flog campaigner to coach our team.

And! Let's have a sash.

Want to use a better example next time, NC?

Just a quick one folks.

Don't think we really have a supporter end do we? Aph will let you know where the cheer-squad are located. HBF will have fallen off his milkcrate, I'll be under my seat in the fetal position and MEB will be throwing Level 9 glares atop her seat on the top deck Aisle 31.

To be fair to the MRP (a one-way indulgence regrettably) Gibbs steadied himself by skipping on his toes before he brought Gray down in the tackle. Otherwise the only differences favoured Gibbs that is, less damage to Gray who still had the ball. Shultz probably didn't know Richards had dropped the ball - for which Ted should have been penalised.

It has been argued by some that by skipping in preparation for the tackle Gibbs engaged in a 2-step movement and that for this reason the tackle constituted a sling-tackle. This is nonsense. To constitute a sling-tackle there must be step 1 a tackle followed by step 2, a slinging release from the tackle. A sling tackle is obviously dangerous because of the significant acceleration force imposed on the victim upon release and the uncontrolled manner in which the victim might land.

The 2 steps of the Gibbs tackle was clearly not a sling tackle. No sling was involved. This is demonstrated by recognising that the whole way through the tackle (from go to whoa (or woe)) Gibbs is bound to Gray by his enwrapping arms.

To make any sense of the MRP decisions it must be accepted that 2 step tackles involving steadying and then grounding (irrespective of head injury) if done with sufficient force is illegal. But Gibbs only gave the 2 step because he thought (correctly in my opinion) he could only ground a strong player like Gray if he 2 stepped in order to get him off balance. According to the MRP presumably Gibbs' option was to just cuddle Gray standing up and hope whilst holding him he would not be able to break free.

More importantly the MRP changes the rules in favour of bigger, stronger players. Tony Lockett would have been able to take Gray to ground without the 2 step Gibbs required and would have been able to (and probably would have) knock Gray out a la Shultz on Richards without MRP penalty.

IMO we were wrong not to appeal the original decision to save the MRP from looking like what it is: a joke.
I watched the Shulz tackle several times, he tackled Richards, got swung around, planted his feet, lifted and swung Richards around and drove him into the ground. Shulz should have gotten the same result as Gibbs.

They definitely aren't the same tackle but what's got me annoyed was the BS reasoning Evans gave, only to effectively backtrack on it 2 weeks later.

The incompetence in this industry sometimes...

The only thing i can think of is that the AFL want schultz playing to keep port competitive

Two tackles, totally different in the eyes of the AFL, but same result.

So, to draw a real long bow;
Two murders are committed one with a gun and one with a stick-same result- which is worse?
Was it a stick of dynamite?

Mar 19, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Denver Broncos
Was it a stick of dynamite?

Stick of gum - in the wrong hands, all sorts of trouble
4310705189_stick_of_gum_answer_2_xlarge.jpeg

Go BLUES!!

The spectre of a 3rd week if we challenge it ... for something that wasn't worthy of 2 weeks is a real disincentive. The inconsistency of the system has players pleading guilty to things they are sure they aren't guilty of and because of the vagueness of some of these rules, it really is Russian roulette.

The problem for us was the media was against us. We seldom find support in any of the media and not many opposition supporters are going to make a noise on our behalf. It all comes across as whinging Carlton supporters which probably hurts us next time we have a genuine issue. Rock and a hard place.

The FA compo .... what waves can you make? I'm sure we asked the question, we just didn't run to the media to complain about it. McKay queried it on trade radio but I think the actual conversation would have been more along the lines of 'we're not happy, this makes no sense'.

blueboy25

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 14, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
West Perth, Tottenham
Don't think we really have a supporter end do we? Aph will let you know where the cheer-squad are located. HBF will have fallen off his milkcrate, I'll be under my seat in the fetal position and MEB will be throwing Level 9 glares atop her seat on the top deck Aisle 31.
haha...yeah I am little worried about this one as well.

Taking the family to the states and my 5yo has been begging me to take him to his first carlton game. Unfortunately it just happens to be against the reigning premier who we have beaten since about 1955 or at least it feels that way.

I even offered to take him to the Man city v Real madrid game at the G which is on the same night but no he definately wants to see the Blues. Just a shame Juddy has retired as I would have loved for my son to at least say he saw the great man play live at least once.

Feb 6, 2013
Locker #5
AFL Club
Carlton
Just a quick one folks.

Depends what sort of view you'd prefer. Level one is good because you're really close to the action and you can hear them yelling out instructions etc, level 2 is too ******* expensive but the view is the best, level three you can see all the plays being set up and pay attention to a lot more action off the ball.

blueboy25

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 14, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
West Perth, Tottenham
Depends what sort of view you'd prefer. Level one is good because you're really close to the action and you can hear them yelling out instructions etc, level 2 is too ******* expensive but the view is the best, level three you can see all the plays being set up and pay attention to a lot more action off the ball.
Cheers, I grabbed some tickets on level 1 yesterday.

I have been to a few games at Etihad in the past but have usually just gone GA and sat up on level 3.

Depends what sort of view you'd prefer ....... level three you can see all the plays being set up and pay attention to a lot more action off the ball.
The Blues are playing, you are sitting next to your fiancé and you are checking out blokes in the crowd? Wow, multi-tasking masterclass!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back